Hi Guys and Girls,
Every week I get a few messages from buyers asking if I could show them a rough sketch as it would help them purchase my services and the answer is always No!
It is important not to work for free, ever! What they are asking is just like going into a restaurant and asking for a small piece of steak saying that if you like it then you would order. That is just stupid.
Trust me, nothing good can come from you working for free. It just sends the message that the buyer can take advantage of you.
Here is a list of reasons why you should decline such a buyer:
- They come from an unhealthy work ethic.
- If you make the sketch super quick then probabilly it wouldn’t look really good and they would reject it.
- If you spend a lot of time working for a “Possible Order” then that is simply not efficient.
- If they like the sketch and think your price is too high they might go to another cheaper priced designer and have them recreate it.
- If they like the sketch and your price is too low, that is underselling your work.
- A buyer who asks for free work in 99% of cases will bargen with you on prices.
- Copyright Issues, you have no idea where that sketch, concept, idea came from.