No more seller percentage rating

jonbaas

It would appear that Fiverr no longer lists a seller’s percentage rating on their gigs or their profile pages. They appear to have moved away from a 100%-scale rating, and now only list a seller according to their 5-point/star rating.

I’m sure the exact percentage rating is still tracked behind the scenes, and I’m sure it still affects listing placement, but it is no longer publicly posted. Sellers are now, for example, 4.8 sellers instead of 97% sellers. And we, as sellers, no longer know our exact percentage.

This is an interesting change. I’m curious to see how this will affect seller analysis across the site.

It’s weird, though… everyone on the globe knows all about 100%-scales, heck, about percentages as a concept, but some countries (including mine) are not so used to 5-star ratings (except in case of Hotels & Restaurants) and instead we’re used to rate things on a 1 to 10 scale.

As a global marketplace, wouldn’t it make more sense to go with the concept that is globally known, understood & used, in this case the percentage scale?

Just thinking out loud…

It’s weird, though… everyone on the globe knows all about 100%-scales, heck, about percentages as a concept, but some countries (including mine) are not so used to 5-star ratings (except in case of Hotels & Restaurants) and instead we’re used to rate things on a 1 to 10 scale.

As a global marketplace, wouldn’t it make more sense to go with the concept that is globally known, understood & used, in this case the percentage scale?

Just thinking out loud…

It’s weird, though… everyone on the globe knows all about 100%-scales, heck, about percentages as a concept, but some countries (including mine) are not so used to 5-star ratings (except in case of Hotels & Restaurants) and instead we’re used to rating things on a 1 to 10 scale.

As a global marketplace, wouldn’t it make more sense to go with the concept of percentages that is globally known, understood & used?

Indeed. A 100% scale would seem to make more sense.

Perhaps Fiverr is seeking to bring more equality to the gigs and sellers listed. For example, a previously-listed 96% seller and a 98% seller might both be listed as a 4.8 seller. While a lower ranked 93% seller has a much better-looking 5-point rating. This hides the true ranking of a weaker seller, while bringing the top high-90s sellers down to a rating that matches sellers that were previously ranked a few percentage points lower.

It’s weird, though… everyone on the globe knows all about 100%-scales, heck, about percentages as a concept, but some countries (including mine) are not so used to 5-star ratings (except in case of Hotels & Restaurants) and instead we’re used to rating things on a 1 to 10 scale.

As a global marketplace, wouldn’t it make more sense to go with the concept of percentages that is globally known, understood & used?

Indeed. A 100% scale would seem to make more sense.

Perhaps Fiverr is seeking to bring more equality to the gigs and sellers listed. For example, a previously-listed 96% seller and a 98% seller might both be listed as a 4.8 seller. While a lower ranked 93% seller has a much better-looking 5-point rating. This hides the true ranking of a weaker seller, while bringing the top high-90s sellers down to a rating that matches sellers that were previously ranked a few percentage points lower.

While a lower ranked 93% seller has a much better-looking 5-point rating

Wait a second… so what was the percentage rating based on? I think I may have misunderstood the percentages before since I can’t put an equal in between 93% and an overall 5-stars if it was based on positive/negative ratings alone with no rounding :thinking:

I think my math is wasted 😃

While a lower ranked 93% seller has a much better-looking 5-point rating

Wait a second… so what was the percentage rating based on? I think I may have misunderstood the percentages before since I can’t put an equal in between 93% and an overall 5-stars if it was based on positive/negative ratings alone with no rounding :thinking:

I think my math is wasted 😃

Wait a second… so what was the percentage rating based on? I think I may have misunderstood the percentages before since I can’t put a 93% next to an overall 5-stars if it was based on positive/negative ratings alone :thinking:

The previous percentage ranking system was more exact. It was a percentage of all rated orders for that seller – a percentage rating calculated from all star reviews received.

Under that system, people had a more precise understanding of the poor sellers. For example, an 87% seller was clearly listed as such. And, similarly, people knew who was a 97%, a 99%, and those who still had a 100%.

Consider too, a 90% rating is/was required for a seller to respond to buyer requests. Now, there’s actually no way for a seller to know where they rank in regards to that 90% requirement.

Wait a second… so what was the percentage rating based on? I think I may have misunderstood the percentages before since I can’t put a 93% next to an overall 5-stars if it was based on positive/negative ratings alone :thinking:

The previous percentage ranking system was more exact. It was a percentage of all rated orders for that seller – a percentage rating calculated from all star reviews received.

Under that system, people had a more precise understanding of the poor sellers. For example, an 87% seller was clearly listed as such. And, similarly, people knew who was a 97%, a 99%, and those who still had a 100%.

Consider too, a 90% rating is/was required for a seller to respond to buyer requests. Now, there’s actually no way for a seller to know where they rank in regards to that 90% requirement.

Now, there’s actually no way for a seller to know where they rank in regards to that 90% requirement.

Maybe Fiverr doesn’t fancy transparency anymore? Or is it becoming more of a hide & seek game? 😃

Oh, well, I still have pen and paper to manually compute my percentage rating across all gigs 😉 (which is 99.833499833% to be precise - I like this better!)

Now, there’s actually no way for a seller to know where they rank in regards to that 90% requirement.

Maybe Fiverr doesn’t fancy transparency anymore? Or is it becoming more of a hide & seek game? 😃

Oh, well, I still have pen and paper to manually compute my percentage rating across all gigs 😉 (which is 99.833499833% to be precise - I like this better!)

Oh, well, I still have pen and paper to manually compute my percentage rating across all gigs 😉

Well, we know many things are in transition here on Fiverr – the most notable of which is the search algorithm. Perhaps part of that transition is for buyers to start seeing all listed gigs on a more equal basis (regardless of quality and true ranking).

An overall 5-star seller rating is a LOT more equalizing than a 100%-scale rating.

Btw, @jonbaas , I just found out from CS that ratings from paused & deleted gigs are taken into account when calculating the overall profile rating 😉

While I do see why paused gigs are taken into account, deleted gigs are somewhat questionable… it does prevent bad sellers from tricking the system to get their rating up, but on the other side, newbie sellers who just start out and may be bad at start could later evolve, change gigs, change categories altogether, hence making those older deleted gigs not relevant to their current rating.

Btw, @jonbaas , I just found out from CS that ratings from paused & deleted gigs are taken into account when calculating the overall profile rating 😉

While I do see why paused gigs are taken into account, deleted gigs are somewhat questionable… it does prevent bad sellers from tricking the system to get their rating up, but on the other side, newbie sellers who just start out and may be bad at start could later evolve, change gigs, change categories altogether, hence making those older deleted gigs not relevant to their current rating.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

The ratings adventure continues its evolution. 🙂

I can 100% guarantee you that rating does not reflect gig placement.

The seller rating, perhaps not. But gig rating, absolutely.

No. It really doesn’t.

When I had the mass of orders about a month ago, i received 50 cancellations from people in the span of two to three weeks. It did nothing but push me further up the page of ‘recommended’. I believe that the things which influence the position are, basically, the amount of deliveries that you are making. That is the only factor. It certainly was when I first started. The more deliveries you make, the more you appear on the first page of your category.

My gig has been paused for a couple of days now, but I know the second I unpause it, I will be back on the front page as I delivered over 50 gigs in the past 2 days.

No. It really doesn’t.

When I had the mass of orders about a month ago, i received 50 cancellations from people in the span of two to three weeks. It did nothing but push me further up the page of ‘recommended’. I believe that the things which influence the position are, basically, the amount of deliveries that you are making. That is the only factor. It certainly was when I first started. The more deliveries you make, the more you appear on the first page of your category.

My gig has been paused for a couple of days now, but I know the second I unpause it, I will be back on the front page as I delivered over 50 gigs in the past 2 days.

I think percentage rating system is 20 times better than 5 star rating system. 😬

I think percentage rating system is 20 times better than 5 star rating system. 😬

The best rating system is thumbs up/thumbs down, not varying levels of happiness which are dictated by the person.

One person’s 5-star rating is another person’s 4-star.

The best rating system is thumbs up/thumbs down, not varying levels of happiness which are dictated by the person.

One person’s 5-star rating is another person’s 4-star.

The best rating system is thumbs up/thumbs down

Oh the horrors I had with thumbs up/down 😰 Buyers mistakenly giving thumb downs on a regular basis, then changing them upon my request because it was their confirmed mistake…

And the buyer who would have given me a 3.5 stars, but only had a thumbs up/down and gave me a thumbs down as 3.5 felt going down rather than up 😦

No. It really doesn’t.

I see. Then how do you explain the sellers who make few to no sales – which many sellers are experiencing right now, and remain near the top of their categories? If they were making few to no sales, wouldn’t they sink down in the rankings?

Your experience has merit, and gives reason for consideration, but why, then, does Fiverr explicitly say that cancellations, late deliveries, etc. affect a gig’s success (i.e., ranking in search/categories)? Why would these metrics even exist – if failing to maintain the positive end of things didn’t penalize sellers as they do?

Your experience is fascinating, but I don’t think your observations are entirely accurate – based upon how the system has been explicitly stated to work.

I’m fairly certain that the number of deliveries does not solely place a gig near the top of their Fiverr category. It may be a secondary factor, but it does not define the nature of who ranks at the top. It’s also worth noting that the “Recommended” section varies widely from user to user. You might see your own gig rise, but others aren’t likely to see the same behavior within that category. Basing the definition of success upon that widely varying “Recommended” filter isn’t a stable assessment to work with. “Recommended” just means that those results were calculated based upon a certain user’s behavior, because the system wants that user to find the gigs that best match their recorded behavior across the site…

I’m going to bet that with 50 cancellations in quick succession, your gig didn’t fare too well on the more valuable “Average Customer Rating” filter. 😉

No. It really doesn’t.

The more deliveries you make, the more you appear on the first page of your category.

I see gigs on the first row of my category who have one review in the past month and never have more. Or some have 14 reviews over a long period of time.

You must have just unpaused your gig Ryan. I don’t see it on the first or second page of your category where it was on the top row before.

No. It really doesn’t.

It’s also worth noting too, that you have 64, “Cancelled order. Seller failed to deliver on time!” 1-star reviews on that gig in the last two months. That’s a terrible stat to have associated with your gig, since cancelled orders negatively affect your gig’s rankings for 60 days.

And those are only the orders that you failed to deliver, and, therefore, received automated 1-star reviews. I have no idea how many orders were mutually cancelled, or force-cancelled (with the buyer failing to confirm the cancellation) during that same 2-month period.

I imagine your gig ranking (for that gig) is actually quite terrible at the moment. And if it isn’t – based upon Fiverr’s own statements regarding the ranking system – then something is, most definitely, broken with the rankings system.

It’s also worth noting too, that you have 64, “Cancelled order. Seller failed to deliver on time!” 1-star reviews on that gig in the last two months. That’s a terrible stat to have associated with your gig, since cancelled orders negatively affect your gig’s rankings for 60 days.

And those are only the orders that you failed to deliver, and, therefore, received automated 1-star reviews. I have no idea how many orders were mutually cancelled, or force-cancelled (with the buyer failing to confirm the cancellation) during that same 2-month period.

I imagine your gig ranking (for that gig) is actually quite terrible at the moment. And if it isn’t – based upon Fiverr’s own statements regarding the ranking system – then something is, most definitely, broken with the rankings system.

I imagine your gig ranking (for that gig) is actually quite terrible at the moment.

He has 83 orders in his queue, the same number he had in it when he first was on the top row so how much could the cancellations and 1 star reviews be hurting him? Not at all apparently.

His gig warrants a case study actually to determine why the algo likes it so much.

It can’t be deliveries considering the others that have no orders ever.

Maybe it’s as simple as a new fiverr employee stuck it there on top.

The ranking for my gig is still on the first page of my category under ‘recommended’. I mean, it isn’t now as I just unpaused it, but it will be later on today.

My cancellation rate for the past 2 months is something like 12%

If it is not the number of orders completed, it is the conversion rate. On some days, I have a conversion rate of up to 60%. This means that my gig is earning more money for Fiverr than others on the list.

The ranking for my gig is still on the first page of my category under ‘recommended’. I mean, it isn’t now as I just unpaused it, but it will be later on today.

If it is not the number of orders completed, it is the conversion rate. On some days, I have a conversion rate of up to 60%. This means that my gig is earning more money for Fiverr than others on the list.

I’m delighted to see you with this windfall Ryan after all you’ve been through.

On some days, I have a conversion rate of up to 60%. This means that my gig is earning more money for Fiverr than others on the list.

I think that’s it, the conversion rate. Although I’m not sure that automatically means it’s earning more if they are all $5 sales but it’s possible at the rate you are going.

And what about those that almost never make sales but continue to get the top row on the page? They have almost zero conversion rate.

So here is what does not affect gig placement:

number of cancellations

number of 1 star reviews

conversion rate

number of sales

number of reviews

seller star rating since Ryan’s is 4.5

average value of each sale (? I’m not sure what Ryans average sale is)

Archived