Fiverr Community Forum

Node.JS test is horrible

Hello everyone, I would like to dedicate some time to focus on the tests you can do on Fiverr to “earn more trust”. There is one problem, though, the Node.JS the test sucks.

The Node.JS test is full of grammatical errors that are really annoying while completing, and there are many other valid reasons for my frustration:

1. There is absolutely NO syntax highlighting to help you actually read the unreadable code that’s already there. The white background even burns your eyes if you actually attempt to understand what the author(s) intended to do.
Have a look at this great code structure, which is indented, syntax highlighted, which also doesn't error because you can actually read what's in there without having a second thought.

And now take a look at this code, which is **not** syntax highlighted, which burns your eyes and makes you want to quit the test immediately just by looking at it.

1. The code you receive is 100% understandable for nobody. Literally, if the image above doesn’t give you a hint about how the rest of the test will be, well, then, I don’t know.

2. You need to know methods from any module from npm, which currently (while writing this) consists of 965 345 packages - everyone should be able to remember that, right?

3. Most of the test is not actually about Node.JS itself, but about finding errors in the code they provide, which is ALREADY full of errors, that you cannot select, because you have to click the lines they give you an option to click. Ironic, right?

4. there is no help to receive while taking the test - they ask you questions without any kind of useful information. Such as asking you questions which don’t really make sense if you actually think about it.
    Consider this image (one of the few images I bothered to screenshot)

“Every function is asynchronous in Node.js” - oh yeah, that’s true, unless you use synchronous functions, which ironically the “fs” and many other functions in Node.JS are.

I am not old, I am not a professional writer, I am not professional with Node.JS, but looking at this test, it doesn’t seem like it’s written by someone familiar with Node.JS nor someone who has great English skills. If you somehow manage to complete and pass the test, you are either really good, or extremely bad.

If it was up to me, I would have hired a professional to create the tests, so you don’t push bad habits, and make people confused about their current knowledge about Node.

1 Like

:raising_hand_man: Um, did you get those images swapped?

Sorry to hear your frustration. Nobody has been all that impressed with the tests, it would seem.