Note to sellers - Top tips to selling more on Fiverr (Buyers Perspective)

hmbespoke

Hey guys,

This may have been covered by someone else, however here is the perspective of a new user (buyer) to the site. Here is my experience from using Fiverr and there are some simple things sellers can do to get attention and ultimately sell more.

I work in Marketing and am pretty great at it, but really rubbish at design. I was on the hunt for a logo on Fiverr and I really love the concept of bringing global buyers and sellers together. I posted my job and added an attachment of what I was after using the graphic tool I am expert at MS Paint (haha).

BIG BIG DISAPPOINTMENT
Within a few hours of my job going live, I had 30+ offers from designers and that’s exactly what I wanted. However, 99% of the sellers who contacted me were making a huge mistake. They were thinking like DESIGNERS, not MARKETEERS (yes, you read right). I got loads of messages from three types of sellers and I expect Fiverr lets you (the seller) create a bog standard blurb which you just send when new jobs appear. It is the same as uploading your C.V. on a jobsite and creating a standard cover letter…you probably won’t get hired (along with the thousands of people who applied for the same job in the same manner). The three types of sellers are:

Jargon Overkillers
I will give you a 2D or 3D LOGO design, providing the file in png. for print ready, jpg format and include multiple revisions, Free Editable and Source file, I am highly experienced in Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Flash lnDesign, Corel Draw, Text Design Pro.

Flag Flyers
I am a Level 2 seller and have been in the industry for 4 years. Here is a list of my service 1- 2 High-Quality Initial Concepts 2- JPG/PNG & 3D Mockup delivery 3- 300dpi res. 4- 24 Hour Delivery 5- Source File & Vector Files 6- Transparency 7- Revisions 8- Favicon 9- Stationary 10- Social Media Kit and much more.

Make no effort sellers
Hi I can design a nice thing for you, or See my profile for my work

The main thing these sellers miss is, WHAT DOES THE BUYER want? As a buyer, I spend about 5 seconds (literally) on each seller’s message. I’m not interested in the content that the three types of sellers above have to say, or at least not at this stage of the buying process. With 5 seconds in the shop window, you want to use that time to stand out and be seen through the crowd of designers.

WHAT GIGS DID I LOOK AT? (Do these things from today - please)

Of the 38 messages that came to me, I only spent time looking at 2. Why?

1. They addressed me by my name, meaning they took the time to look at my message and attend to the small details
  2. They didn’t talk about their experience, vectors, Indesign or other design mumbo jumbo. They mentioned the name of my project (small details), they mentioned they had seen my attachment.
  3. They very briefly talked about my idea (BINGO) and addressed some of the pointsI raised. It might have been a single line but that shows interest, attention to detail (again) and crucially THEY PUT THEMSELVES IN MY SHOES.

These were the Personal Touch Sellers

Once you have my attention, now you can tell me about the many many years you worked in design and vector files, now you can put on your designer hat.

Another important factor in the buying decision that is overlooked is

1. Spelling, Grammar and Punctuation - Very important
    I appreciate this is a global site, hence there are a lot of people who’s first language is not English. However, the cool thing about the arts (music, design & dance) is they are universal and transcend language barriers. However, language is still key to getting the job to showcase your universal design language. Bad spelling and grammar is also a turnoff, I need to know that we will be able to communicate clearly. However, if you are not a natively English speaker (and I 'm not), there is a really cool tool to help you. GRAMMARLY, a free online tool that Instantly checks and correct grammatical, spelling, and punctuation mistakes. Simply download the extension and it runs in the background, correcting any errors in your email, chats, Facebook, Instagram or Fiverr posts.

These are very simple steps and granted it means you spend a bit more time sending out job request, but you are focusing on quality over quantity. Note how my initial decision to consider a seller is not price, technical know how or previous jobs, it is you putting yourself in my shoes.

I will happily look at your profile text and write it for you, free of charge. If you send me a pretend job, I can respond in the way a Marketer would just to give you and idea.

Please let me know what you think and if you put these steps into action, what differences you see.

Thanks for reading and all the best.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are great tips and I get your frustration, but the sad truth is that those sellers will not read these tips. Every now and then I purchase logos myself and I don’t bother to use buyer requests section anymore. It’s less time consuming to use the search.

Just recently we had a thread here where newbies were asking for templates. Pretty much all the experienced sellers said that you shouldn’t use a boilerplate template, however, a few days later newbies started to post in the same thread questions like where can they get a decent template. 😒

That being said, I’m sure there will be few who will follow these tips and discover a gold mine 🙂

These are great tips and I get your frustration, but the sad truth is that those sellers will not read these tips. Every now and then I purchase logos myself and I don’t bother to use buyer requests section anymore. It’s less time consuming to use the search.

Just recently we had a thread here where newbies were asking for templates. Pretty much all the experienced sellers said that you shouldn’t use a boilerplate template, however, a few days later newbies started to post in the same thread questions like where can they get a decent template. 😒

That being said, I’m sure there will be few who will follow these tips and discover a gold mine 🙂

I agree totally.

I also think it is possible that some sellers may up their game a bit and become like the 2 out of 38 who actually have a chance at success on Fiverr. I do hope that someday buyer requests becomes more useful for both buyers and sellers and I think a key to this would be improving the quality of responses that buyers get there. I know I stopped using it after not even getting one decent response to requests I put out.

Hey guys,

This may have been covered by someone else, however here is the perspective of a new user (buyer) to the site. Here is my experience from using Fiverr and there are some simple things sellers can do to get attention and ultimately sell more.

I work in Marketing and am pretty great at it, but really rubbish at design. I was on the hunt for a logo on Fiverr and I really love the concept of bringing global buyers and sellers together. I posted my job and added an attachment of what I was after using the graphic tool I am expert at MS Paint (haha).

BIG BIG DISAPPOINTMENT

Within a few hours of my job going live, I had 30+ offers from designers and that’s exactly what I wanted. However, 99% of the sellers who contacted me were making a huge mistake. They were thinking like DESIGNERS, not MARKETEERS (yes, you read right). I got loads of messages from three types of sellers and I expect Fiverr lets you (the seller) create a bog standard blurb which you just send when new jobs appear. It is the same as uploading your C.V. on a jobsite and creating a standard cover letter…you probably won’t get hired (along with the thousands of people who applied for the same job in the same manner). The three types of sellers are:

Jargon Overkillers

I will give you a 2D or 3D LOGO design, providing the file in png. for print ready, jpg format and include multiple revisions, Free Editable and Source file, I am highly experienced in Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Flash lnDesign, Corel Draw, Text Design Pro.

Flag Flyers

I am a Level 2 seller and have been in the industry for 4 years. Here is a list of my service 1- 2 High-Quality Initial Concepts 2- JPG/PNG & 3D Mockup delivery 3- 300dpi res. 4- 24 Hour Delivery 5- Source File & Vector Files 6- Transparency 7- Revisions 8- Favicon 9- Stationary 10- Social Media Kit and much more.

Make no effort sellers

The main thing these sellers miss is, WHAT DOES THE BUYER want? As a buyer, I spend about 5 seconds (literally) on each seller’s message. I’m not interested in the content that the three types of sellers above have to say, or at least not at this stage of the buying process. With 5 seconds in the shop window, you want to use that time to stand out and be seen through the crowd of designers.

1. They addressed me by my name, meaning they took the time to look at my message and attend to the small details
  2. They didn’t talk about their experience, vectors, Indesign or other design mumbo jumbo. They mentioned the name of my project (small details), they mentioned they had seen my attachment.
  3. They very briefly talked about my idea (BINGO) and addressed some of the pointsI raised. It might have been a single line but that shows interest, attention to detail (again) and crucially THEY PUT THEMSELVES IN MY SHOES.

Once you have my attention, now you can tell me about the many many years you worked in design and vector files, now you can put on your designer hat.

I appreciate this is a global site, hence there are a lot of people who’s first language is not English. However, the cool thing about the arts (music, design & dance) is they are universal and transcend language barriers. However, language is still key to getting the job to showcase your universal design language. Bad spelling and grammar is also a turnoff, I need to know that we will be able to communicate clearly. However, if you are not a natively English speaker (and I 'm not), there is a really cool tool to help you. GRAMMARLY, a free online tool that Instantly checks and correct grammatical, spelling, and punctuation mistakes. Simply download the extension and it runs in the background, correcting any errors in your email, chats, Facebook, Instagram or Fiverr posts.

These are very simple steps and granted it means you spend a bit more time sending out job request, but you are focusing on quality over quantity. Note how my initial decision to consider a seller is not price, technical know how or previous jobs, it is you putting yourself in my shoes.

I will happily look at your profile text and write it for you, free of charge. If you send me a pretend job, I can respond in the way a Marketer would just to give you and idea.

Please let me know what you think and if you put these steps into action, what differences you see.

GRAMMARLY, a free online tool that Instantly checks and correct grammatical, spelling, and punctuation mistakes. Simply download the extension and it runs in the background, correcting any errors in your email, chats, Facebook, Instagram or Fiverr posts.

I feel, for a majority of the buyers here on Fiverr, this tool is PERFECT. I’m actually using it right now. I’ve spoken English (practically) my whole life and I still use this to ensure I sound as professional as possible. It’s nothing to be ashamed of, we don’t all have to have PERFECT English skills; however, this is essential to fix some major mistakes that buyers will dislike immediately.

This is one of the best tips I’ve seen. You’re answering to all those people who start in this platform and are a bit disappointed because they don’t get orders.
It could be that most of them write a small presentation and copy+paste it on every Buyer Request that may fit their skills.
Personal approach indicates that they have read and understood what the job is about and are willing to work on it.
On the other hand I believe most newbies give a try, not expecting they HAVE to communicate fluently with the buyer, and so their English is unluckily poor 😦 and learning proper English will take long for them… maybe applying in their local Fiverr website would be the best?
Thanks again for a great post, and the help you may bring to many new users!!
Best!

I agree totally.

I also think it is possible that some sellers may up their game a bit and become like the 2 out of 38 who actually have a chance at success on Fiverr. I do hope that someday buyer requests becomes more useful for both buyers and sellers and I think a key to this would be improving the quality of responses that buyers get there. I know I stopped using it after not even getting one decent response to requests I put out.

Hey eoinfinnegan, cheers for the comment. Given the sheer number of designers bidding for the same job, I’m surprised sellers aren’t using that window more strategically. In Marketing, we call it a hot lead, a person you haven’t gone out to find, contacting you because they have money to spend on what you’re selling. The one guy I’m probably going to go with wasn’t the cheapest but he did all the things I would do. He even went as far as saying, send me your image and I will mock up something really quickly to show we’re on the same page. Now that is a step that surprised me, because you don’t know if the buyer will actually take you on and you’ve spent some time on the mock up. However I am already committed, he is now my designer because we are taking tentative steps to making the transaction happen.

GRAMMARLY, a free online tool that Instantly checks and correct grammatical, spelling, and punctuation mistakes. Simply download the extension and it runs in the background, correcting any errors in your email, chats, Facebook, Instagram or Fiverr posts.

I feel, for a majority of the buyers here on Fiverr, this tool is PERFECT. I’m actually using it right now. I’ve spoken English (practically) my whole life and I still use this to ensure I sound as professional as possible. It’s nothing to be ashamed of, we don’t all have to have PERFECT English skills; however, this is essential to fix some major mistakes that buyers will dislike immediately.

Wow, it is so amazing, and it still surprises me at the number of grammatical errors it flags me up for. As they say, you don’t get a second chance to make a first impression. The point you make about being professional is what every seller needs to home in on. Take off the designer hat and become a sales person, secure the sale, they blow them out the water with your magic. I have so much respect for people who don’t speak English as a first language because if I had to type a message in Dutch or Urdu, it would be murder on the keyboard. However, this nifty tool is like having an English expert proofreading your work.

This is one of the best tips I’ve seen. You’re answering to all those people who start in this platform and are a bit disappointed because they don’t get orders.

It could be that most of them write a small presentation and copy+paste it on every Buyer Request that may fit their skills.

Personal approach indicates that they have read and understood what the job is about and are willing to work on it.

On the other hand I believe most newbies give a try, not expecting they HAVE to communicate fluently with the buyer, and so their English is unluckily poor 😦 and learning proper English will take long for them… maybe applying in their local Fiverr website would be the best?

Thanks again for a great post, and the help you may bring to many new users!!

Best!

Hey, Wuerz123, you’re very correct, the language can be a minefield. I wonder if more can be done to help people navigate it because there are some pretty ace designers out there who have language as a barrier. That said I wasn’t aware there was Fiverr in other languages…every day a school day.

Hey, Wuerz123, you’re very correct, the language can be a minefield. I wonder if more can be done to help people navigate it because there are some pretty ace designers out there who have language as a barrier. That said I wasn’t aware there was Fiverr in other languages…every day a school day.

Hi, well yes there are. Maybe not so successful as the original Fiverr.com.

Here in Italy we have one, and also in Germany (where I travel often for work) they have their own platform.

Yes, you’re so right. There are very creative people in other countries, and language may be a barrier for them. I can see it in a lot of posts from new people who cannot get orders 😦 I’ve checked their profiles and Gigs and their work look sometimes awesome.

Hey eoinfinnegan, cheers for the comment. Given the sheer number of designers bidding for the same job, I’m surprised sellers aren’t using that window more strategically. In Marketing, we call it a hot lead, a person you haven’t gone out to find, contacting you because they have money to spend on what you’re selling. The one guy I’m probably going to go with wasn’t the cheapest but he did all the things I would do. He even went as far as saying, send me your image and I will mock up something really quickly to show we’re on the same page. Now that is a step that surprised me, because you don’t know if the buyer will actually take you on and you’ve spent some time on the mock up. However I am already committed, he is now my designer because we are taking tentative steps to making the transaction happen.

What seems to have happened here is the meeting of a keen seller and a professional buyer. This is a great match up but often times it does not happen like this. Consider what would happen if instead you were the type who would take advantage of this keen seller’s offer to create a mock-up first. It happens quite a bit when it comes to requesting samples (which I appreciate he offered, not that you asked). Kudos on choosing someone who was professional rather than cheap, a lot of the complaints from buyers on the forum turn out to have had the opposite approach and cannot fathom why it went wrong!

I’m surprised sellers aren’t using that window more strategically.

It baffles me too, BR are where I got almost all my jobs in the beginning and where I sometimes go if I am particularly quiet - I generally get a job out of it when I do go there.

What seems to have happened here is the meeting of a keen seller and a professional buyer. This is a great match up but often times it does not happen like this. Consider what would happen if instead you were the type who would take advantage of this keen seller’s offer to create a mock-up first. It happens quite a bit when it comes to requesting samples (which I appreciate he offered, not that you asked). Kudos on choosing someone who was professional rather than cheap, a lot of the complaints from buyers on the forum turn out to have had the opposite approach and cannot fathom why it went wrong!

I’m surprised sellers aren’t using that window more strategically.

It baffles me too, BR are where I got almost all my jobs in the beginning and where I sometimes go if I am particularly quiet - I generally get a job out of it when I do go there.

I generally get a job out of it when I do go there

Your approach or the approach of people who are in higher levels may be different than the ones who are desperately looking for their first job, or to get some bucks fast.

I’ve placed twice a request, by looking for someone to help me with some designs, and I also got a lot of people asking me please to hire them. You don’t even bother to read their messages, but… how you teach these people how to place an offer properly?

I personally thought that kind of approach would scare many new buyers, as they look unprofessional and somehow amateurish, giving a bad impression of what Fiverr really is.

Hmbespoke was patient enough to find two who were different, but are all buyers so patient?

Your approach or the approach of people who are in higher levels may be different than the ones who are desperately looking for their first job, or to get some bucks fast.

I’ve placed twice a request, by looking for someone to help me with some designs, and I also got a lot of people asking me please to hire them. You don’t even bother to read their messages, but… how you teach these people how to place an offer properly?

I personally thought that kind of approach would scare many new buyers, as they look unprofessional and somehow amateurish, giving a bad impression of what Fiverr really is.

Hmbespoke was patient enough to find two who were different, but are all buyers so patient?

I also got a lot of people asking me please to hire them. You don’t even bother to read their messages, but… how you teach these people how to place an offer properly?

The reality is that freelancing is not easy and not everyone is suited to it. Many talented people would make a fortune freelancing but have no concept of marketing or sales so instead they have to make a fortune for someone else while they take a salary. The successful freelancers are often not the ones who are best at their skill but who are good at their skill and can also do the other things required. Some could be taught but the majority wouldn’t listen, the number of sellers complaining about no sales on the forum but have not even followed the basic stuff in the Fiverr Academy or the many useful forum posts.

It never occurs to them that they themselves are the reason for their failure.

You hit the nail on the head with this post.

Just yesterday, I posted a Buyer Request and got 35 offers. Not ONE of them fell out of the 3 types you list.

As a seller, BRs have been a very good source of orders so far. I think that is in large part because I always make sure to make my offers personalized, using the methods you describe so well in your post.

Please have a look at my profile, as it has been 2 months and i've only received 2 orders .both of them were outsourced toe by a friend. I haven't received any order through buyer requests and i cant even find out What am i doing wrong

Please have a look at my profile, as it has been 2 months and i’ve only received 2 orders

First, why are you hijacking this thread? There’s a separate section called “Improve my gig” where you can post this.

Secondly, once you post it there make sure you provide enough details. Simply asking “help me” isn’t really useful. If you’re not getting responses to your offers then provide an example. What was the request and what was your offer. Then more experienced sellers can point out what you did wrong.

Otherwise, you’ll get the boilerplate answer “read academy and learn from forum posts”.

PS. If you don’t sell your own logos then you should say that in your gig. I’m talking about the timberwolf logo in your portfolio that was not made by you.

Excellent post and really good for people to read the perspective of a buyer on this. I really appreciate you taking the time to do this.

I moved it into the “Tips for Sellers” category for visibility.

Thanks a million. I’ve dipped my toe in the water a few times to get a couple of logos created and each time hit the same brick wall. I have opted to seek sellers out, however the responses I’ve have been hit and miss (more miss).

Hi Wuerz123, you are correct, where there is a concentration of supply, buyers are not going to be very patient. I can only assume some of the sellers sending out poor responses are not doing this full time. They have some design experience and so something else to make their money and chance it on Fiverr.

Hey guys,

BIG BIG DISAPPOINTMENT

Jargon Overkillers

Flag Flyers

Make no effort sellers

They addressed me by my name, meaning they took the time to look at my message and attend to the small details

Capture1.PNG.dcc37b7049f5aef667deada2c451b829.PNG
Capture2.PNG.ee2122ae6a8b3d251ca8cece108bb4f5.PNG

Hi Wuerz123, you are correct, where there is a concentration of supply, buyers are not going to be very patient. I can only assume some of the sellers sending out poor responses are not doing this full time. They have some design experience and so something else to make their money and chance it on Fiverr.

I can only assume some of the sellers sending out poor responses are not doing this full time

I also understand this logic, but I am doing this work on Fiverr as a part-time job.

I will write again what I wrote yesterday to a seller who posted something like “Buyers Request is useless”, as when everytime she goes there, there are already 30 offers per Request sent.

I’ve said I haven’t used Buyers Request for more than 1 year, so I gave a try to see myself what was going on.

From my 10 daily offers I’ve sent 5 to the ones that were fitting my Gigs and skills. From the 5 I’ve got two answers, I’ve got those two answers from requests that had already 21 and 16 Offers sent.

One didn’t fly because we couldn’t agree on the price. The second was a $45 order.

So, where is the difference? Like I always say: the approach of us sellers to all potential buyers.

Edit: I’ve just got another answer and an order for $25, from a request with already 18 offers sent.

Wow. I am ashamed to say I think I’ve been a terrible hybrid of each of those three types. It’s been a long while since I was last active on fiverr and apparently I forgot basic courtesy while I was gone!

Thanks so much for this. I am definitely going to make an effort to be a better, more conscientious seller.

Archived