Fiverr Forum

Now you tell me

Final rant of the day, I swear!

As I have mentioned here before, I have had to deal with a customer that requested modification after modification to the point where he got about 4 x the amount he ordered (he ordered 50k, his constant changing specification meant I had to deliver close to 200,000. Customer support could see that he changed his spec but told me to deliver or cancel)

Each time he requested a modification he reduced the delivery time. He gave me 48 hours to write the last 50k.

Any whoozles, I was away at this time and he said “if you do not do it on time then I will instigate a PayPal chargeback” or words to that effect. He said that I should have got it right to begin with and thus he deserves the work for FREE as I was late (it was delivered on time to begin with). So, what happens? I deliver it. Slightly outside of 48 hours though. Well, 52. During this time I told customer support what he threatened to do. They told me to deliver it anyway and keep them ‘in the loop’.

Order delivered. I now have a sneaky suspicion that he may try and cancel it anyway (thankfully some of his order falls more than the 45 day rule through PayPal which means he can’t chargeback on it…woo!). However, I decided to get in touch with customer support anyway. What do they say?`Well, I knew that they could not fight against PP chargebacks. However, if a customer was that obvious about telling me he would do it before delivery they might make an exception (I delivered by the way as I had put hundreds of hours into this gig and had to cancel many orders to deal with it). Customer services response today?

"As you know, we do not reply to PayPal disputes. However, a buyer who files a PayPal dispute violates our terms of service, and their account is suspended."

BRILLIANT! I MEAN, BRILLIANT! He charges back, nobody is going to fight my corner (I knew they would not, but as I said, I figured since I told them well in advance this may happen they will make an exception). They expect me to be happy with somebody getting banned because of it. Guess what guys? I am not. That does not make the loss of $400 easier to bear. In fact, it makes it harder to bear because I know the rules of Fiverr. I know that a customer can instigate a chargeback. However, they can claim it was a mistake. They then get their Fiverr account back AND the money to spend on another gig. I do not get that cash back. No matter what I do. It is Fiverr’s cash or the customer’s cash. If they instigate a chargeback then it is gone forever. I have no right to it again. Even though I have been keeping customer support in the loop for close to two months about my difficulty with this gig.

If he cancels…I am boned. Let’s hope he does not.

I am even asking myself how it is humanly possible to type 50000 words in 48 hours …?!

Sounds like a job I would not have taken on in the first place.

belgianwriter said: I am even asking myself how it is humanly possible to type 50000 words in 48 hours ...?!
Sounds like a job I would not have taken on in the first place.

The job was originally 50,000 words in about 15 days. I managed that. However, with every edit he decided to lower the amount of time I had to deliver it. It started out with 5 days, then 3, then went to 2. Customer Support told me to deal with it or cancel. The gig was manageable when I took it on. Then it just got crazy with a change of specification each and every time it was rejected.

I can easily type close to 50,000 words in a day providing I know roughly what I am typing about (in this case I had written the same content over and over again albeit with a few changes. This meant that I could do close to 4,000 words an hour) Not something I like to do often mind you.

Ok, the original job sounds ‘normal’ to me.

However, I am pretty adamant I would get RSI!

I hope this does not happen too often to you.

CS should step in in these kinds of situations.

belgianwriter said: Ok, the original job sounds 'normal' to me.
However, I am pretty adamant I would get RSI!
I hope this does not happen too often to you.

CS should step in in these kinds of situations.

I thought they would step in. I mentioned the threat of a PayPal chargeback about a month ago. They said to deliver it anyway and keep them informed. I thought that this implied they would at least try and fight my corner. Turns out...nope. Their idea of a fight is telling me that if it happens the customer will be banned.

Can you PM me the name of that customer so i can keep a look out?

So a buyer is threatening to violate the TOS in an act of retailiation against a seller and Fiverr is waiting on…what?

I thought ALL threats were taken seriously by CS!!!

cheezees said: So a buyer is threatening to violate the TOS in an act of retailiation against a seller and Fiverr is waiting on.......what?

I thought ALL threats were taken seriously by CS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They say it is just a threat. To deliver anyway and if they instigate a PayPal chargeback then get in touch (I would have cancelled had it not been for the amount of work I had put into the gig). Their idea of solving the problem should he carry out a chargeback would be to ban his account. When I said that leaves me $400 out of pocket they did not respond.

Reply to @ryangillam: Get in touch about what? They will already be handling the charge back even without seller intervention. Why are they acting like informing them is some additional step in a process to recover the money. There is no recovering of funds. Even if they can stop the charge back, the money, from what I have been told, is NEVER returned to the seller. (Fiverr KEEPS IT???)

I thought threats came under “uncool stuff”. Again, what are they waiting on???

Well, it was more keep them updated on the situation.

You are right about the chargeback. They will not fight it. They ban the buyer. More often than not the buyer will realize that they do not want to be banned. They cancel the chargeback. The money is returned to Fiverr (put into the buyer’s account). The buyer is unsuspended BUT the money does not go back to the seller. It is free for the buyer to use again. The only person that loses out is the seller.

They have confirmed that despite the warning BEFORE delivery they will be unable to help me should a chargeback occur.