Fiverr Forum

OH MY GOD! - What Next?

I’m really going to lose it the rate things are going. A buyer has just left me this 5-star review:

Another fine article by cyarex Thanks Andy for the super fast turnaround Please note I requested a revision and Andy delivered it in under two hours!! Super impressive He’s my go to writer! Oh and by the way three of his previous article that are only about a month old rank on page one of Google https://xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com Andy wrote articles for Creve Coeur, Brentwood and Manchester check it out!!! Under Service Areas.

This might sound fine. However, this person is another one who butchers my writing after delivery. If anyone follows their link and looks at these pages, they will NOT see content I have delivered. They will see a site full of amateur writing errors and sentences that just do not make sense.

Now if I ask CS to remove this review, I risk getting an account warning. Worse, because Fiverr now sticks your longest reviews to your gig page, I’m never going to get rid of this. It is the longest review I have had in 2-years and is going to sit there like a link to a portfolio site showcasing a dyslexic mek-seller.

Edit: Link removed for privacy reasons.

15 Likes

Oh dear… I would definitely use the respond feature to tell my side of the story.

Not so sure if CS will help you here though.

6 Likes

Hey Andy - I’m sorry you’re going through this and I know you’re a seasoned Seller and don’t need to be “reassured.” The person was really enthusiastic about what you did - that’s a positive. Other Buyers will likely either not click through (and just take it like, wow this guy must be good to elicit something other than “Great job thanks” from another Buyer) or have similar standards as others you are experiencing.

I write copy too, and unfortunately there’s no guarantee the Buyer will actually put it into effect the “right” way/how it was intended- we can never make sure of this if we’re not the ones posting. In that case, I point out the glaring errors and say, “Hey- a few small tweaks for you” - after that, there’s not much you can do. It’s their business and you’ve done your best; thank goodness they already reviewed you rather than being laughed at by a potential client and blaming it on you :stuck_out_tongue: Just trying to look on the bright side :slight_smile:

7 Likes

The problem is I do not want to have to hope clients don’t click through. I’m also guessing that a lot will, given how many people ask me for samples. I usually tell people asking for samples to check my reviews an invite them ti place a test order. Now whenever I do this, I’m going to risk losing sales.

This would not be an issue at all if I knew I could ask CS to at least remove the link. However, this puts me at risk of getting an account warning for review manipulation.

This buyer has also completely butchered every piece of work I have delivered in a BIG way. i.e:

Looking for a reputable Creve Coeur roofing contractor? Whether you require an urgent roof repair or a complete roof replacement, Integrity Roofing Services is here to help.

Our business model is built on the foundation of trust and loyalty, and this requires a relationship in which the client’s needs come first.

Yes Sir, Yes Ma’am, that exactly what we deliver. Instead of focusing on sales quotas, complete client satisfaction is what we provide.

From minor roof leak repairs to new roof replacements, we connect home and business owners alike with local contractors they can trust.

There is so much wrong here that I would now need to rewrite these opening paragraphs alone. I have also already told them that sentences like: "Yes Sir, Yes Ma’am, that exactly what we deliver. Instead of focusing on sales quotas, complete client satisfaction is what we provide." Make zero sense.

I’m literally horrified by this.

1 Like

Yeah, do damage control by perusing the response option. And I did have a very long review pinned on top as most relevant before but it eventually got lost, so there’s that, the “most relevant” seems still bound to some half-life period, can’t say how long though, I don’t do any real monitoring.

3 Likes

Yes it will move down when more recent reviews are added to the gig and with a big enough date difference (eg. maybe within about 3 or 4 weeks), even if the review text is shorter. Most relevant seems to take review length + review date into account. Maybe Fiverr could tell us more how it works.

Consider uploading the original articles somewhere allowed by Fiverr, since it seems the client is fine with other people knowing about it, and just reply to his review that you’re glad he’s satisfied and you’re also proud of the pieces you created and people can see the original following the link to the original articles you uploaded.

This way you may not get to his wrong side while still doing some damage control.

Ps: Developing websites I have to always check my previous work before sending it out to prospects as clients tend to butcher it almost instantly.

2 Likes

Since the buyer owns the copyright to them, permission from the buyer would be needed first.

4 Likes

Yeah, I think I’m going to settle with:

Thank you. However, please don’t include links in reviews in the future. It seems like you have had someone heavily edit your content after delivery in a way I can’t personally make sense of. In this case, I wouldn’t personally use your content as it is now in my professional portfolio. No offense.

Any thoughts?

Edit: As for what is next this month. I now have a new order from someone who has politely asked me to call them on their cell to discuss their order details.

How is it that I can’t share links to my personal blog or even write an @ symbol without setting off a fire alarm, but buyers find it so easy???

2 Likes

Number 1 no one will read that much and number 2 it’s a great review. And number 3 if they do read that much they won’t know the difference.

3 Likes

Mhhhh … well, you know, anytime someone feels they need to say ‘no offense’ … :sweat_smile:

The @ thing is a good question. I wonder if the responsible algorithm or whatever considers whether the account is a buyer only/seller only/buyer+seller account and whether it’s the first message in a conversation or the second to decide to ring the alarm or not.

I think most people won’t click the link in any case, the review is great, most will probably leave it at that as they don’t have time to lose plus they don’t want to click ‘strangerous’ links. And buyers like your buyer, if they click, should see no fault, right?

3 Likes

Their site sounds like a bunch of platitudes. I didn’t even know buyers could leave links inside their reviews of sellers! Anyway, what are the odds someone will actually click through, considering that most don’t even read gig descriptions? Hopefully low.

5 Likes

It’s literally a mess. I don’t even know why this person keeps ordering from me. All my articles are delivered already optimized for SEO and readability out of the box. This means that I write an article, check spelling and grammar in Grammarly, then paste all content into Yoast. There I optimize everything from overuse of passive voice to sentence length and keyword placement.

As soon as an article scores a green light for readability and SEO, I copy all content and meta descriptions back over to word. Then I leave notes telling buyers how to format articles for best results. (Basically, keep all links, bullet points, and subheadings the same.)

EVERY time I deliver, this person makes edits that undo everything I’ve done. All they don’t touch is the SEO title or meta description. I think this is because they think there is some kind of magic going on there.

When they are finished, they send me back their edited version and I can’t make any sense out of it. I send them an article that gets a score of 96 to 99 in Grammarly. They send me back a version that can’t even score 50.

I have tried to point out what they are doing makes no sense. However, as I think I mentioned in another thread, this person is also working with a bunch of other sellers and an SEO agency that is obviously outsourcing everything they do to $5 (or thereabout) Fiverr sellers.

I’m blown away by the incredulity of it all.

This is the problem. When people ask me for samples, I usually say something like: "I have 1,500 reviews on Fiverr. You can view these and order a single test article. However, I’m afraid I don’t give away free samples."

This nets me an average of 1 order a week. Now though, who is going to want to order a sample when they can go to the link in this review and find out for themselves that I apparently write like a $5 seller with special needs?

1 Like

They are unteachable when they are like that.

This is the only line that is going to jump out at people and makes me want to order from you even though I don’t have a website:

Oh and by the way three of his previous article that are only about a month old rank on page one of Google :wink:

Your reviews are amazing.

3 Likes

You can be such a flirt. :blush:

1 Like

When I’m happy… :smiley_cat:

But I’m sincere. Great reviews you have.

1 Like

Hi Andy, :slight_smile:
First of all, take a breath, then say to yourself ‘Get perspective, man.’
And I really hope your reaction to that is not the reaction I get to hackneyed old sayings: (roll my eyes) ugh I hate people who don’t get me.

:cactus: :cactus: :cactus: :cactus: :cactus: :cactus: :cactus:

Might it be the case that you’re so anxious at the moment, that you’re forgetting one of the basic + most important things copywriters know (just like me - the more emotions build up, the less room for logic)? It’s that human beans while reading most things online, simply don’t have attention spans longer than a fraction of a second.

Listen, I just went to your fiv profile in order to check out the reviews. I wasn’t the typical fiv buyer in this situation, rather one who actively chose to go and read the reviews so that I could write you this reply. Also, my attention span is longer than a typical person online because I’m a scholar and can read for years.
But what happened to me when I started reading your reviews is what I’m positive happens to most people:

Here’s what happened in my brain, in order:

1. Scrolled down looking specifically for the latest review (the latest, because I assumed that would be the one you’re talking about here on the forum. A typical buyer would also be interested in the latest review–for other reasons).
  2. First thing I noticed: a mass block of text. Most reviews are 1-2 sentences long, and this one looks like a paragraph from a university textbook. Causes me to feel suddenly anxious - same way that textbooks used to make me feel. Mental response is ‘I don’t want to read this, reading this will be work.’ All five thoughts/reactions were within the first split second after finding the review.
  3. But I did start reading.
    Another fine article by cyarex Thanks Andy for the super fast turnaround Please note

By the word ‘cyarex’ (I know-he doesn’t know ur profile name), I was ready to move on the the next review. That first sentence is all a potential buyer needs to be ready to continue with the actual order. (Not for all sellers, but for you with your 1K+ reviews and ratings.)

But then, I was curious enough to make me read what followed: ‘Thanks Andy for the super fast turnaround.’

And from those two sentences, if I were a buyer–I’m done, don’t need to read more of this review. I want to move on to the next review. And especially don’t want to read this textbook paragraph.

The other two reasons I (and in my personal + professional opinion as one who writes copy, fb posts, etc. - others) don’t want to read beyond ‘turnaround,’ are 1. The reviewer doesn’t begin using punctuation for a while. Not only does reading a block of text feel like homework or work, but add to that the lack of punctuation . . . no thank you. 2. ‘Please note’ I see this and it gives me ‘permission’ to abandon this text, because usually ‘please note:’ means something technical is coming, and I don’t need to read it.

Conclusion: I bet you almost everyone will not read past what I read, so the link won’t even be an issue. The first two sentences (‘Another . . .turnaround.’) is all the info they’ll need–they are reading the reviews in order to decide if you’re good at what you do, reliable, etc. You write. They want to find out whether or not you’re a good writer. They don’t care whether or not the reviewer is a good writer

:cactus: :cactus: :cactus: :cactus: :cactus: :cactus: :cactus: :cactus: :cactus: :cactus: :cactus:

What do you mean by the following?

:cactus: :cactus: :cactus: :cactus: :cactus: :cactus: :cactus: :cactus: :cactus: :cactus: :cactus: :cactus:

I understand all this. But I’m wondering about the idea of a portfolio.
(Exactly 365 days ago today was my house fire, and I only got back on fiverr a few months ago. Therefore I’m not up to date on what changed on fiv while I had no laptop, so please excuse my ignorance regarding this + the longest review thing): Last thing I remember from before a year ago, was that you could have a link to certain outside sites for purposes of a portfolio. What’s the new rule about this?

:cactus: :cactus: :cactus: :cactus: :cactus:

May :penguin:

3 Likes

He just wanted to show everyone his amazing reviews but with typical British reserve he was being modest and masking it well. :tophat:

Anyone reading that review would simply see a fantastic writer who gets websites on the first page of Google.

1 Like

Thank you for such a well-thought out and detailed response. This does make me feel better. I will even put my reply to this review on hold indefinitely now. I’m aware of how short the average attention span is. With articles an blogs, people usually read (at best) 330-words. This is why I advise all my clients when they ask for more words, to just stick to 500.

What I wasn’t aware of is how short attention spans are on reviews and social media posts.

You are allowed links to certain sources, but they are all rubbish. People ask me if I publish content on Medium. They don’t ask me if I’ve published content on Blogger. I’d also say never give samples. It just turns into people stealing your work and asking for more specific samples. Some sellers seem to be able to upload PDF writing samples. I too have this option. However, every time I do, it doesn’t work.

I’m not British anymore in protest at Brexit. Also, I’ve never had reserve.
If I did, I wouldn’t have dared post the review here with a link (now removed) to the world’s worst SEO copywriting.

That would be like you celebrating a link to a Paul Daniels (British Magician) video, as proof of your amazing witching skills.

1 Like

Instead of “make sense of,” which can put a guard up, I would say something like “It is essential that the writing associated with me entirely be my actual work to avoid misleading people about what they can expect from me.”

That way it isn’t personal and you are also highlighting the impact of the person’s actions not just on you, but on others. You could also mention the impact on your personal brand, but I doubt that would change the outcome.

In any case, it is super, super common for people who hire copywriters to rewrite huge parts of their work, so I imagine most clients wouldn’t assume the published material is completely your work.

2 Likes