Fiverr Community Forum

On gig requirements (again)

I had to cancel an order yesterday.

The person came in, just placed it, ignored the entirety of my gig description, and was kind of rude about it. Not overtly rude, just “I don’t know how I want this to look, here’s the bare minimum of information, go ahead, surprise me.”

So I reached out, reminded them that the brief was mandatory, copy/pasted it, at least got the basic width x height for the thing out of that. Then got told that it’d be all the information I’d be getting because the previous seller got the idea spelled out for them and the end result was bad.

This kind of behavior is why I removed any mentions of “creative license” from my gig descriptions. I’m not opposed to it and I’ll take it if you’re a regular client or if I do have a strong vision based on the information I’ve received. It wasn’t the case here, moreover, the website link the buyer has provided contained designs that looked nothing like those I did.

I went back and forth with it for a few hours. There was still a little bit of that professional vanity in me responding to: “Are you good enough to accept the challenge, ARE YOU?”

Then I remembered that this year, including unpaid internships, it’s going to be 20 years of me being in the business. I’ve been “challenged”, “tested”, “pushed to the limit” enough. Then I also remembered that last time I got one of the “here goes whatever, surprise me” orders, it got me 2* and inbox threats.

I canceled the order and I watched the ultimate director cut of Oliver Stone’s Alexander instead. 3 hours 30 minutes of the most gorgeous historical costumes and jewelry, Jared Leto’s impeccable smokey eye, and Colin Farrell doing stupid things with his face to, possibly, indicate deep emotional distress. Or chronic constipation, I’m not sure. It was a time much better spent than imagining creative ways I’d get insulted if I got the design wrong.

What I’m trying to say is, the product you buy on fiverr is most of the time a collaboration. You’re not getting sold a pack of beer that is the same for everyone, you’re getting sold a product customized for your specific needs.

A seller is an actual person on the other side of that process. Who needs to be talked to and who put their gig requirements there for a reason, to be read, to be discussed, not to be ignored. They are put there, carefully crafted, after running into dozens of difficult buyers, to minimize the risks for both parties involved. If the requirements don’t work for you, you can always just message the seller and ask if some parts are negotiable. Or move on to another seller.

Not to just place an order, announce that I already know what I need to know, and attempt to strong-arm me into a collaboration where I’ll be the only party responsible if things go wrong.

The buyer is now blocked even though I’m against blocking buyers on fiverr because based on the overall tone, I sense some passive-aggressive insults coming my way.

I realize that I’m not saying anything new but it bears repeating. Read the requirements, please. Message the seller before placing an order if you have questions. It’s not difficult. It helps the process. It gets you the results you wanted or maybe something even better.

12 Likes

Troy, Alexander, and 300. Hollywood was on an ancient Greek binge for a small period of time in the 2000’s for some reason.

3 Likes

I love this post, haha.
It seems to be a common occurrence where buyers will completely ignore the gig description.
I’ve even had people ignore the title of my gig and the basic element of what I offer yet placing orders anyway. Luckily I’ve been able to work with them and not experienced anyone too rude as of yet… It’s frustrating that cancelling these orders impacts negatively on the sellers level requirements so thankfully I have never had to cancel an order due to these reasons.

I think Fiverr could do with an option for the seller to be able to accept or decline orders placed so that if this situation arises you are able to firstly, communicate and discuss the order requirements with the buyer and then secondly, are able to decline the order.

3 Likes

Right, 300! Thank you.

I’m having a binge for 2 months already. First, I put 200 hours into playing “Hades”, then I got a trilogy of Stephen Fry’s audiobooks on Greek myth and I’m finishing it up with some movies.

Troy and Alexander literally have the same scene of a woman trying to slice the man’s throat with a dagger during their first night together with the man going: “Do it!”. It’s pretty funny when you watch two movies back-to-back.

2 Likes

I think fiverr doesn’t present gig requirements as something significant enough. So they read as fine print you can easily disregard. There is no message that clearly communicates: “To work with this seller, you have to agree to this OR just find a different seller”.

I usually run after the buyer immediately to get all the missing information and usually they comply and it’s not a problem. You absolutely can work it out with most of them. But if you get someone dismissive, they are not usually only dismissive to your gig terms. They’ll end up being dismissive to your work and yourself as a person. I learned it a hard way.

As for sellers being able to decline orders, I don’t think fiverr’s going to do it. It’ll lead to less orders being bought. A lot of orders are getting done sort of begrudgingly. “I don’t want to do this one but I can’t afford a hit to my stats”, “I have to be at the airport in 20 hours and wanted to have a good night sleep but didn’t turn the out of office mode fast enough so I’ll do this one”, etc.

Giving the opportunity to just decline with no repercussions will lead to less $, I think. But on the other hand, when there was no level system and you could cancel as much as you’d want I still never got below 95% completion rate simply because I wanted to get paid more. So who knows.

1 Like

VERY WELL SAID :clap:

1 Like