Fiverr Forum

ONE STAR REVIEWS! The HIGH HORSEMEN standard abuse!

As the saying goes, “GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE” buyer! not all buyers of course. Only mean and bad ones.

Thanks Fiverr for changing the feedback system. It takes me longer to resolve issues with buyers and costs me free work because now buyers are holding feedback as a retaliatory tool for free work. PLUS I only get 1 CHANCE to work it out with the buyer and FORCED to contact customer support.

Wow, what a story. I had the most crazy last two days with a buyer. He was trying to be a little sneaky one holding my feedback in a retaliatory manner for not getting free work. He wanted me to photoshop his logo into a picture and I told him I couldn’t do that, I’m not a logo editor, which I know I can but I don’t offer that for the basic service of 5 dollars. He kept on not being specific in what he wanted to do with the logo and I was trying to get what he wanted, he said it wasn’t clear. So after 6 video revisions I did with different backgrounds, the logo in a new position, I told him what he wanted was photoshop work and to send it to me after he got someone to do that. So I said I would be happy to place the background with the logo on the wall to make it seem like its his office logo on the office picture, like some of my competitors offer in their video “branded” packages.

Wow after 1 week of dealing with the guy, because I make sure I earn my five stars review, I always do even though I ask I don’t want anything less because its true its that important! He gave me a 1.3 stars and a dirty review saying he asked in vain.

I also saw where he posted the video and he used the very 2nd version of the video, so he was just getting different videos as well, different versions for free. NO WAY.

Oh was I mad. So I contacted support, told them what happened. Told them this guy was not fair in his criticism and was holding the feedback until he got free photoshop work and work I do not offer.

Long story short, I hunted this guy down, I told him hey don’t be destroying my reputation online just because I didn’t offer you free photoshop work to get what you wanted or all those other free videos I did with different visual, I could have accepted 3-4 stars but 1 star!!! NO WAY JOSE. It takes time to render and 1 week going back and forth with you trying to get what you want done because I want to earn my five stars, I told him you tell me. I even sent the new dispute for changing the review or asking the buyer too. He declined. No other chances.

So I said, look, both of us want something, honestly your not a fair person, I’m not going to fight you on that, just tell me what you want to earn my 3- five stars at least review. He said just put my logo onto the wall of the office picture do it how ever you want but make it look real, I said OK I will give you free photoshop work, I know how to do it because I’m a graphic artist as well, but that isn’t fair that you are making or forcing me to do this but if that is what it takes to change your review fine. Then we can call it even. He said okay. So I did it. There is more to the story but I don’t want to say much here.

Customer support was also watching him and he contacted customer support to complain but they didn’t go far with him because they already saw how he was acting.

I told customer support take away the review, let me do this for him he promised to change his 1 star to five star review once he got that extra free photoshop work I DO NOT EVEN OFFER!. They said its good you worked things out, and there was a wrong understanding, then I told customer support no there wasn’t, he wanted me to do work outside the scope of my gig. Anyways long story short they took the 1 star review away and then the buyer gave me a five star review after I gave him the video the way he wanted with the logo photoshopped onto the office wall to look like it was a sign inside the wall.

WOW. what a fight. Normally with a story like this, I would REVOKE the rights to the video and just offer a refund and he can go spend it with another client. I DO NOT KNOW WHY THEY IS NOT AVAILABLE ANYMORE!?

1. After the buyer gets a refund, the buyer can not take that money out, its in the fiverr system and they have to spend it on fiverrs website.

2. The feedback was totally not worth all the amount of work I did for him, video + editing + photoshop + compositioning!!! and for only making $3 dollars on this gig after taxes and fiverrs FEE they charge. This matters to me as a seller because our feedback has an effect on our ranking on Fiverr.

All this makes me not understand why would they not leave it when you give a refund the feedback comes off. I mean if I give them a refund, why is the feedback there. Why can not you offer a refund after the gig is complete for situations like these? I mean come on, what kind of high horsemen standard am I suppose to give into here?

We need improvements,

ONE THING is DO NOT LIMIT the times to ASK the buyer to CHANGE THE FEEDBACK… TAKE OFF THE 1 LIMIT!

Is there no longer a line in the ToS that says that buyers can’t use ratings as a way to blackmail sellers into doing work for free? This is literally how I’ve gotten every single rude/ridiculous review removed from my profile–because entitled buyers always say something like, “Well, unless you want me to give you a 1 star review, you’re going to completely rewrite/write more than I paid for/do something your gig doesn’t even offer.”

Honestly, it’s my opinion that almost no one should offer revisions for free. Maybe if you’re new and starting out, sure, but not once you’re established, especially with the kind of work that you do, where the product you create is fairly subjective and a revision takes almost as long as doing the project the first time. Continuing to provide revisions to buyers like this o only makes them worse for you to deal with and worse for other sellers to deal with in the future. I’m not blaming you for anything, obviously, I’m just saying that if we don’t want buyers to be entitled buttholes, we all need to stop letting them be entitled buttholes.

there used to be a link in ToS stating that buyers cannot leave a negative review, due to personal taste.

So if you delivered according to your gig’s description, on time, and did your due diligence, but the buyer said “meh, I don’t like it after all” then you could ask for a review removal.

But I think with Fiverr’s latest update for reviews, that’s no longer an option.

Joey, you have over 3000 reviews, are a TRS and have a great reputation. Why on earth do you take the odd bad review to heart so much? That guy left a bad review, fine. You know the reason why. In your buyer review you can mention that he is using the video you made and was also asking for photoshop work etc.
You could also then go to CS and explain the situation. As you mentioned, the review was removed. Would it not have been a better outcome and less hassle if you had simply forgot about the buyer and had the review removed. I appreciate you take a lot of pride in your work and in every job you do but seriously, when a buyer demands things you do not offer I suggest you just deliver as per your gig and move on.

It’s not about the review, it’s about the unfairness this new system brings. We are pretty much helpless.

Not true.
Unfair reviews can still be removed as Joey demonstrates above. Say no to buyers demanding things they have not paid for or send them a custom extra if it is something you can do. If they give a bad review based on your refusal then go to CS. You are not helpless, you just need to use the system correctly. No matter what system is available, some people, both buyers and sellers, will try to abuse it. You need to be able to deal with the situation.
The huge upside to the review system is that bad quality sellers will begin to be reviewed as such, increasing the consumer trust of the site and allowing better sellers to flourish.

Well I understand what you mean, but its because I care about my reviews and that is the reason why I have five stars, I mean I could easily just cancel and refund the gigs and the review is gone like I have 50% of the time before but I try my best every single order and that is why I made it to TRS, its more about working hard to make sure they are happy also letting them know that they can’t do that and I also told him that I won’t let him do that to other sellers as well. Customer service was trying to stay neutral, at times it seems that the do things right away, other times they tell me to dispute it or communicate with the buyer, but I think they tell me that because in every situation that is what I try to do first, well quite a few times with the buyer, we go back and forth and I guess customer service sees that in the order and messages.

CS could have just removed the review but they saw I was trying to talk to the client and fix issues I had with their unfairness. They only removed it after the seller got what he wanted and offered a five star review.

It is my fault? Maybe, because I understand I shouldn’t have offered him the photoshop work on the logo and office background, I mean I don’t even do that or offer that type of service. Do I know how to do it? Yea, I know how to do it. How quick did I do it? Well it took me about 5-10 mins or so to warp, screw, add all the effects to make it look like a sign from a png file on to the wall and lighting and shadow stuff.

I notice this guy had high standards too but was a complete cheapskate, in his other reviews, he never left a 5 star review.

It was more personal taste, and him getting different version of the video.

I wish this was the case but sometimes logic doesn’t dictate. This reminds of republicans how in their system the richer get breaks so that the employer trickles down the benefits to the employee, but normally it trickles into CEO bank accounts and golf courses.

Yes I agree. I think they should not limit the amount of times a seller can ask a buyer to change their review, what harm will that bring right? Why was the limit set in place in the first place?!

I would like to see that myself, in the TOS, where is the link? I want to add it to my buyer details agreement I have.

Hey Micha Kaufman, JUST BECAUSE your pockets are bigger than mine doesn’t mean YOUR SMARTER than me.

Reviews section of ToS: “Withholding the delivery of services, files, or information required to complete the Gig’s service with the intent to gain favorable reviews or additional services is prohibited.”

Order Cancellations: “Any non-permitted usage of Fiverr encountered during an Order, after being reviewed by our Customer Support team, may result in the order being cancelled. This includes, but not limited to; harassment, unlawful behavior, or other violations to Fiverr’s Terms of Service.”

"Fiverr Customer Support will cancel orders based on, but not limited to, the following reasons:

Active orders (after the buyer submits their requirements and before the seller delivers on Fiverr): Users are abusive towards the other party through threats of low ratings or leveraging order materials (such as logins, personal information) against each other.

Delivered Orders (after the seller clicks Deliver Now and before the order is marked as complete)

Buyers who threaten to leave a damaging review to gain more services from the seller not related to the agreed requirements."

Good catch, @catwriter. We just need to go armed with ToS quotes if this happens.

Personally, I think that Fiverr is trying to change something that happened for way too long. The change is not all bad, but we learned to try to work with something that was broken and now it changes.

When I started here I was shocked that 4.5 stars wasn’t great. If I’m looking for a movie, 4 stars is usually excellent. If I’m hunting for some book on Amazon that has 500 reviews, 3.5 stars us so so but might be readable. 4 is good. 4.5 is likely great, and 5 is rare and fantastic.

I found out that between the levels system and more important the culture of apparent perfection on Fiverr, I’d better not get an honest positive 4 star review, especially in the first 50 sales. On the other hand, terrible sellers with zero skills were maintaining a few dishonest 5 star reviews from their friends in a neighboring city. When those sellers got a 2 star, they pled feeding the baby and the promise of a refund to get it removed.

Today I cannot go look for a level 2 with 55 reviews and a 5 star rating to edit my family holiday picture. If they are doing $5 work I might take a risk, but it is a risk. There is something inherently wrong with that, and it happens with sellers from every country, so don’t just blame it on a couple. Sure, countries with higher poverty rates might manipulate the system more readily, but because of this culture that says only 5 stars is good enough, sellers are scrambling and buyers are confused.

I think what we are seeing with more frequent gig denials, account bans and changes to the review system is an attempt to correct. It’s painfully slow and still needs tweaking, as others have pointed out. If Fiverr is going to survive and have a good number of professional sellers and fewer bad ones, we cannot be forced to think that an honest and positive 4 star rating is bad. Bad sellers should get honest 2 star reviews and deal with it.

Joey is right that we also must not be forced to do free work for a good review, but @catwriter pointed out that we can quote ToS and prove our cases. That’s my 2 cents.

I think we all deserve a CLEAR understanding and reason why these were put into place and what is the solution if they are not willing to communicate with those sellers who wish to obtain the highest of reputations here no matter what…PLUS I believe there are contradictions here… doesn’t anyone else see them? I mean I guess it depends on what you are selling…

From two main perspectives of MONEY and ACTIVE USERS.

Buyers are given priority due to them having the money to SPEND but WITHOUT the sellers or bad sellers making it harder for GOOD sellers like myself, sellers are important.

The balance here is leaning toward THE MONEY not quality. Fiverr is trying to force quality, I get it but I can’t see how generalizing every seller with limited broad contradicting terms and conditions and faulty review system is not just un fair, it is a bad business model. The final review of the service or based on service type sellers SHOULD BE BETWEEN THE SELLER AND BUYER.

DO NOT LIMIT ME FROM SENDING MULTIPLE REQUESTS TO THE BUYER TO EARN MY FIVE STARS!!! Why the HECK am I not allowed to work it out more with the buyer as much and as long as I want, ITS MY BUSINESS!

MAIN POINT: my main point in all this is

Please DO NOT limit me the AMOUNT of times I can ask the BUYER to earn my five stars or at least 3-5 star review.

IT IS NOT fair and ITS my business, my service, to the buyers and a GREAT service I offer to the buyers that I should be able to work things out.

Reviews on the work should be between the BUYER and the SELLER so there is NO REASON to LIMIT my requests to change the feedback with the buyer within the TERMS of service within Fiverr…

Reviews
• Feedback reviews provided by buyers while completing an order are an essential part of Fiverr’s rating system. Reviews demonstrate the buyer’s overall experience with the sellers and their service. Buyers are encouraged to communicate to the seller any concerns experienced during their active order in regards to the service provided by the seller.
• Leaving a buyer’s feedback is a basic prerogative of a buyer. Feedback reviews will not be removed unless there are clear violations to our Terms of Service.
• To prevent any misuse of our Feedback system, all feedback reviews must come from legitimate sales executed exclusively through the Fiverr platform from users within our Community. Purchases arranged, determined to artificially enhance seller ratings, or to abuse the Fiverr platform with purchases from additional accounts, will result in a permanent suspension of all related accounts.
• Feedback comments given by buyers are publicly displayed on a seller’s Gig page. Buyers have the option not to include a comment, but still rate the service. Cancellation of an order does not remove feedback unless mutually agreed.
• Work Samples are the delivered images and videos sent to a buyer in a delivery message. Work Samples are added to a seller’s Live Portfolio on their Gig page if the buyer chooses to publish the Work Sample while providing a public feedback review.
• Withholding the delivery of services, files, or information required to complete the Gig’s service with the intent to gain favorable reviews or additional services is prohibited.
• Responding and posting a review: Once work is delivered, the buyer has three days to respond and post a review (or 14 days for Gigs with shipping). If no response is provided within the response period, the order will be considered completed.
Users are allowed to leave reviews on orders up to 30 days after an order is marked as complete. No new reviews may be added to an order after 30 days.
Sellers may not solicit the removal of feedback reviews from their buyers through mutual cancellations.

We are not helpless, we, you me, and every other seller are FIVERR. Not the other way around. This is their system, their business, but we are now dependent on them and their rules but we as good sellers have a voice. Fiverr is based in Israel and they follow Israel laws and about 1/3 of the workforce is unionized.

Fiverr is a platform that has provided a workforce for people.

This is turning into the “buyer is always right” direction and cesspool that ebay once had.

Whatever the case, I will say what i have to say, to be heard, I already contact customer service and told them how I feel. I have nothing against anyone or anything except unethical business practices between myself and my clients.

I hope Fiverr will take this into consideration and do not run into the lawsuits that other big websites have fallen into. It will be a waste of time and money. They did a good job with the Amazon lawsuit and that was smart but I hope they do good in the future with any future problems this might seed.

I also have no choice but to raise my standard prices so that my lower priced gigs are not held hostage and effect my ranking, my other higher end services. I always prepare ahead for the worst.

I’ve got to get back to work now.

Good luck everyone!