One Year on Fiverr and It's Been Great!

writerlisaz

Hi Fiverr community!

This month marks my one-year anniversary here at Fiverr and I want to share my story since I’ve been so inspired by the stories of other sellers here.

A little back story first: I’ve been a stay-at-home-mom for 18 years while my two kids grew up. I loved it, and at the same time I was always starting businesses or trying jobs for fun and a little extra cash. Then two years ago, I trained to be a life coach and rang up some debt due to the expensive trainings I attended. My business as a life coach was going well right away and I attracted quite a few clients in the first year. However, I spent so much time on marketing and learning and doing stuff for that business that I burned myself out. Not to mention, I’m very much an introvert so a job that involves constant people contact wears me out. I needed to try something else and try it fast, since I had to pay the bills for my training debt.

Enter Fiverr.com: I had read about Fiverr in Tim Ferriss’ book, The 4-Hour Work Week, when I was setting up my coaching business. I remembered the name of the site and the idea of it so clearly, maybe because of the catchy name and idea of a “fiverr.” At the time, I thought maybe I’d have a reason to use Fiverr sellers for my business but had no thought of actually selling on Fiverr myself.

Then when I needed a break from coaching, I thought, why not give Fiverr a try and see what I can do? I have an English degree and love reading, and I’ve always been a writer, so I thought I’d try editing work and/or maybe writing. I set myself up as a seller and whoa! for some crazy reason, I had orders right away. I learned a LOT in the first two weeks on Fiverr. What to do (only things you’re really good at and love to do, and always communicate well with clients) and what not to do (anything that takes too much time for the money, and that involves things you’re not comfortable doing, like helping someone plagiarize or do their homework).

I got a couple of negative reviews in the very first week, and haven’t had one since. Those reviews came from the same buyer, when he and I couldn’t agree on what I would do for him (he wanted a total rewrite to pass a copyright test, while I wanted to edit only for the things that needed correction). Instead of canceling, he wanted to leave me a bad review and I was too dumb at that time to figure out how to deal with that.

Well, I learned fast. I’ve been working really hard, getting excellent reviews from my wonderful clients, and each month my income goes up a little more. At first it was doubling every month; now it’s at a place where I’m really happy with it and can’t believe I’m doing so well. My late Grandma is happy knowing I’m finally getting paid to use my English degree!

And I absolutely love what I do, and working with people from all over the world. Reading, writing, and grammar are passions of mine, and I can’t believe I get paid to read now! I always wished for that. My best advice to new sellers is to find what you’re really, really good at and find a way to offer that as a service. Stand out by doing excellent work and being polite and running your business in an organized way so you’re never late and always delivering. Also, use a good picture of yourself with a big smile on your face! 🙂

Thanks, Fiverr! I plan on sticking around for a while!

Congratulations Lisa! You are a Fiverr gem - I always love reading your comments on the forum. When I get customers asking for proofreading services, I send them over to you without hesitation 'cos I know you’ll do a great job!

But honestly, I don’t know how you do what you do all day - It’s got to be so hard on the eyes! @-)

Reply to @valanne: Wow! Thank you for letting me know. I had no idea and I love being called a “gem!” I will take a good look at your gigs and hope I can refer people to you, too. Thanks!

And yes, it is hard on the eyes so I take a lot of breaks, take a walk, or do yoga or something so I can keep going. I try not to work all day, too, but that depends on the orders.

Archived