Fiverr Forum

Other sites tracking my gigs

I’m not sure if I can mention a specific site, but let’s say it’s a popular social media site. Today I was browsing my feed when I noticed three different ads served that were similar to the titles of articles delivered here on Fiverr! I’ve noticed this happening before. I’m aware of targeted advertising, but I had no idea that this site would take information that I had uploaded to my Fiverr clients to serve me an ad!

I feel this is a breach of privacy and an outrage. How does everyone else feel about it?

The only solution I could find online was to log out of the site and delete all my history and cookies. I guess that’s what I’ll have to be happy with for now.

This isn’t really a Fiverr issue. I’ve got 5 books and wherever I go they are constantly being advertised to me and every time one is my heart skips a beat and I think, “my God! I’m famous!” - Sadly though this is not the case.

If you want to stop seeing ads like this simply set your browser to forget your browsing history and cookies after every browsing session.

What you seem to be forgetting though, is that if a buyer on Fiverr buys certain gigs, this kind of targeted advertising actually helps them know what other kinds of services are available and who knows…those buyers might just come across yours.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m completely with what Bill Hicks said people in marketing and advertising should do (sorry can’t post the exact details here). However, this is the world we live in,

Ah, the famous Bill Hills, one of the great comedians of our time, I’m sure he’d have a word to say about his name being spelled wrong, mind :stuck_out_tongue:

He certainly would. Thankfully, I have amended this now. :slight_smile:

They took work you did for clients and made it into ads? That would be very disconcerting to see. Legally they do have a right to do that though. Your work is out there on the internet so it could be anywhere. I’m surprised that they would find any sellers work delivered to their clients as something to copy for ads as it just seems so strange.

I know their FB advertising is extremely effective and so are their Googlesense ads. I attribute the sudden big spikes in sales I get several times a month to those.