Ouch! Buyer Fraud & Attempt for Payment Outside of Fiverr

Hello Fiverr Family, I hope this note finds you well!

I’m sharing my experience with you to provide some insight into what happens in the case of [potential] Buyer Fraud and the Fiverr Trust & Safety Team’s efforts. And to invite you to share your words of wisdom when endeavoring to contact a former buyer for payment. (Which may likely be an exercise in futility!)

Three months ago, on March 14th, I completed a highly customized audio project. The Buyer was so happy with the file he tipped me $30. (Perhaps that should’ve been a tip off!)

image.thumb.png.2dbd87bb17f37720c1d74627d0471ddc.png

Fast forward to June 10th. I received this email from CS:

image.thumb.png.d647ee8e4002ce4abb8693e270ccfdbf.png

In the Fiverr TOS, it explains that there is a 14 Day Safety Clearance Period. Revenues are made available for withdrawal after this period has passed. So you can imagine my surprise that after 90 days I would receive a notice that my order was canceled.

URL: https://www.fiverr.com/terms_of_service posted under ‘Seller Basics’

image.thumb.png.4bd91bd541d9e58fb233347251ea861f.png

The Fiver Customer Service team explained that “a dispute was opened via PayPal” and that it was up to me to directly to seek payment for my services. Here’s what Bob from Fiverr Customer Support advised:

image.thumb.png.1ba020d490c80151e12711e8d14d8e41.png

What?! I thought Fiverr had my back. That they would submit evidence to the bank or PayPal to prove what transpired. While they cannot tell me what they did because of the privacy policy, I can conclude from PayPal’s terms (and reading between the lines) that this Buyer either used a stolen credit card or was in default. I assume that they have been trying for the last three months to get payment. (And you thought your job was rough!)

Could it be that there was a misunderstanding or snafu or plausible explanation? – of course! So to both give the benefit of the doubt to the buyer, and potentially get paid, I have reached out to him. (Yeah, I know what you’re thinking!)

NEXT STEPS

I used Google Image Search to find the buyer’s business using the buyer’s profile picture. He uses the same photo of himself across all of his social media channels so it was remarkably easy. I got his email address from his web site. I sent him an email to give him the opportunity to explain what happened, and to pay me for my services. While it seems like it’s hardly worth the effort, there’s just something about this that has my curiosity.

I’ll let you know how it goes! I hope this post has been informative. Or at least entertaining. Your suggestions, comments and stories are welcome.

Be well, Fiverr Friends!

~Lisa

Hi @deluxewriting, I believe that Fiverr CS did challenge it and in their reply this morning (screen shot below) said “we can’t offer compensation for cases like this.”

Cases like this? I assume that means stolen card? They can’t say exactly because of the privacy policy.

I like your suggestion of contacting PayPal directly. I’m not sure what they will say since I wasn’t the vendor, but will reach out. Thanks!

image.thumb.png.2969c3822b0f836172fb2dd2a3f87e2b.png

Hi @deluxewriting, I believe that Fiverr CS did challenge it and in their reply this morning (screen shot below) said “we can’t offer compensation for cases like this.”

Cases like this? I assume that means stolen card? They can’t say exactly because of the privacy policy.

I like your suggestion of contacting PayPal directly. I’m not sure what they will say since I wasn’t the vendor, but will reach out. Thanks!

You can try it. With proper proofs, you still stand a chance at getting your money back.

Good luck!

Contacting buyers outside of Fiverr is a violation of ToS, but this one is no longer a buyer, so hopefully it won’t create a new problem for you down the road. Just in case, save that screenshot (the one where the CS rep states that the buyer is no longer a part of Fiverr community) in a very, very safe place. 😸

Good luck!

Contacting buyers outside of Fiverr is a violation of ToS, but this one is no longer a buyer, so hopefully it won’t create a new problem for you down the road. Just in case, save that screenshot (the one where the CS rep states that the buyer is no longer a part of Fiverr community) in a very, very safe place. 😸

@catwriter, thanks!

Yeah - I was surprised that I was instructed by CS to contact the former buyer directly, too! What did we do before screenshots? Or mobile phone cameras? Cheers to technology and vigilance. Thanks again.

@catwriter, thanks!

Yeah - I was surprised that I was instructed by CS to contact the former buyer directly, too! What did we do before screenshots? Or mobile phone cameras? Cheers to technology and vigilance. Thanks again.

Yeah - I was surprised that I was instructed by CS to contact the former buyer directly, too!

They said to contact the site to dispute it… And that’s strange, I remember that Ryan did something similar when a buyer puled a PayPal chargeback on him (he contacted the site where his articles were used, with a DMCA notice, I think), and he got in trouble with CS because of that. So, definitely save that screenshot as a proof!

Guest didaralam274

@catwriter - Whoa, I didn’t know that. I shall save that screenshot in multiple places! LOL.

I wonder why this case is so different that CS would advise me to contact the former buyer directly… the plot thickens.

I think it because of that buyer on longer on fiverr. Good luck with everything.

You can open a dispute with a 3rd party to pressure Fiverr. For example Better Business Bureau has been helpful in many cases with s***e, Microsoft, Apple and few others. (Doesn’t have to be BBB, it can be a different company)
If there’s enough pressure then usually they will cave as it’s easier to give you the money you deserve than deal with such organizations.

Then there’s social media where even Fiverr needs to address your concern publicly. If you’re persistent enough then I’m sure you’ll get it sorted in your favor. PayPal dispute after 14 days is not your problem anymore.

@uxreview - Thanks! That’s a great suggestion to contact the BBB. I emailed the former buyer yesterday, but haven’t heard back yet. After a few days if I haven’t heard from him I’ll contact the BBB.

You’re right about the power of social media. BTW - he is on Twitter and Facebook. I know that he’s no longer a buyer here, and I’d be compliant with the Fiverr terms, but I’m not going to post anything publicly on his pages.

I haven’t found similar posts about this PayPal situation in the Forum to get pointers. I’ll update this post with how they respond.

Thanks again!

@catwriter - Whoa, I didn’t know that. I shall save that screenshot in multiple places! LOL.

I wonder why this case is so different that CS would advise me to contact the former buyer directly… the plot thickens.

CS would advise me to contact the former buyer directly

They didn’t advise you to contact the former buyer directly. That can definitely have negative consequences. They advised you to contact the site where your content is being displayed. Usually that would mean contacting the domain host and filing a takedown notice.

CS would advise me to contact the former buyer directly

They didn’t advise you to contact the former buyer directly. That can definitely have negative consequences. They advised you to contact the site where your content is being displayed. Usually that would mean contacting the domain host and filing a takedown notice.

@fonthaunt - Thanks! The recording is a phone greeting, and to my knowledge (visiting the business web site) he is not using it on a site. So, in this case, there is not a domain host to contact.

I do like your suggestion, though! Any words of advice in this case?

FYI - I requested from Fiverr CS for a simple statement to recap the sales transaction on the platform. It’s understandable that due to the privacy policy they won’t provide it.

image.thumb.png.f3c5ea91a5359376ea400cd92f20ed85.png

Also, I’m triple checking with this new CS agent about the okay to contact the buyer directly. Will keep you posted.

I love how they are suggesting to contact and deal with the buyer directly, when they strictly forbid communication off the platform.
Fiverr should get their trust and safety team on it for a takedown. These chargebacks are ridiculous.

Same thing happened to me several times and apparently this is a loophole any seller can exploit several months after they make a purchase on fiverr. That is a disgrace.

Flatio - Thank you for sharing your experience. I am sorry to learn this has also happened to you. I imagine that CS is taking these cases under consideration to implement a new sales protection program. I’m assuming that you did not have a resolution.

ALL - It is my intention to be informative with my post. I truly and sincerely hope that no one is taking this the wrong way. I am not sharing this with any intent to hurt anyone – only to determine the best course of action, with Fiverr’s blessing, in cases like this. Thank you for understanding.

I love how they are suggesting to contact and deal with the buyer directly, when they strictly forbid communication off the platform.

Fiverr should get their trust and safety team on it for a takedown. These chargebacks are ridiculous.

Fiverr should get their trust and safety team on it for a takedown.

I still don’t see any evidence that Fiverr suggested a direct contact with the ex-buyer. As far as a takedown, I just had to file one of these myself though it was related to content being stolen from Smashwords, not Fiverr. In order to file the takedown notice, I had to be the copyright holder. Fiverr is not the copyright holder for any content bought and sold here, so their Trust and Safety doesn’t (and can’t) file that sort of thing. They did what they normally do and shut down the buyer account. I’m not saying it wouldn’t be nice if they had more options for chargeback issues, but up to a point there is going to be risk in any self-employment. Fiverr is just a platform.

@fonthaunt - Thanks! The recording is a phone greeting, and to my knowledge (visiting the business web site) he is not using it on a site. So, in this case, there is not a domain host to contact.

in this case, there is not a domain host to contact.

It is much more difficult when the content you sold isn’t being used online, so unfortunately, there may not be much you can do. Sometimes you have to chalk it up and move on, no matter how tough that is. If the order was relatively small (under $50-100) I personally would plan to write it off as a loss on my taxes and just work on the next thing that comes my way. If it was a very large order, it might not hurt to contact Customer Support and ask them if they would consider escalating the issue to a manager and reconsider compensation. To my understanding, there have been cases where they’ve helped sellers with this, but those have typically been very large orders and sellers who routinely sold at high volume.

Otherwise, it probably isn’t worth the energy when you could put that time into trying to get more orders. Good luck! 🙂

Archived