Over $3k in a Month, What I Learned

uncarved

I’ve been here for years, however I really started this year. The first while I just bought and sold one or two things here and there. Like many on Fiverr, I didn’t advertise and expected Fiverr to bring my customers to me.
That was the wrong thing.

This year I started with one good gig and now this month I have several more along with a new attitude.
A new attitude and over $3,000 this month.

Untitled.thumb.png.c28cea9fff0eb86fa9c6424e27104f17.png

Here’s how I do it:

1. In the morning and once in the evening I scan Buyers Requests. There typically are not any for me to apply to because I am in a specialized area. I apply to whatever fits my talents, which is generally only one or two applications a week.
  2. I stay logged in to Fiverr so that I can answer immediately any questions and any orders.
  3. I work on those ASAP and make sure that they are going to get better results than what they are expecting.
  4. After turning in the orders, I don’t ask them to review. It’s why my review percentage is under 50 percent. I do tell them that I hope they are happy and that I’m grateful that they chose me and I hope to see them again. More often than not, they’re going to be return buyers.
  5. I post twice a week in author Facebook groups and on author/writer message boards. I don’t spam, I am an active member. I talk about books and the writing process. I know my sh*t, because I’ve been working in this field for 20 years. Spamming Facebook and groups won’t work, you have to take time and commit.

I don’t do anything that would jeopardize my reputation. I don’t spam or randomly post advertisements. I do a lot for free for members of the writing community. Over 60 percent of my sales are from people who start their message saying “I’ve heard great things about you from xxx”. This word of mouth sales is why I don’t worry about Fiverr search, or SEO, or spamming people to buy my gig. I have great customers and they spread the word for me.

WHAT YOU SHOULD TAKE FROM THIS POST
Have patience, think of the long game. Don’t worry about this week’s money, worry about giving a great customer experience to your clients. If they are happy, they’ll tell their friends.
Don’t have templates and cut and paste things, everyone is unique and everyone deserves the time for you to write out a custom reply to them. Trust me, they know the difference.

I don’t moan about not being on the first page (I’m not last time I checked) or that TRS people are getting all the buyers (they aren’t)… I work hard, every day, and I’m building a business that will sustain me long after algorithms change.

Edited First of July, graphic to show consistency:

Untitled.thumb.png.495376467d40cbe09d2062a5423f3180.png

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve been here for years, however I really started this year. The first while I just bought and sold one or two things here and there. Like many on Fiverr, I didn’t advertise and expected Fiverr to bring my customers to me.

That was the wrong thing.

This year I started with one good gig and now this month I have several more along with a new attitude.

A new attitude and over $3,000 this month.

Here’s how I do it:

1. In the morning and once in the evening I scan Buyers Requests. There typically are not any for me to apply to because I am in a specialized area. I apply to whatever fits my talents, which is generally only one or two applications a week.
  2. I stay logged in to Fiverr so that I can answer immediately any questions and any orders.
  3. I work on those ASAP and make sure that they are going to get better results than what they are expecting.
  4. After turning in the orders, I don’t ask them to review. It’s why my review percentage is under 50 percent. I do tell them that I hope they are happy and that I’m grateful that they chose me and I hope to see them again. More often than not, they’re going to be return buyers.
  5. I post twice a week in author Facebook groups and on author/writer message boards. I don’t spam, I am an active member. I talk about books and the writing process. I know my sh*t, because I’ve been working in this field for 20 years. Spamming Facebook and groups won’t work, you have to take time and commit.

I don’t do anything that would jeopardize my reputation. I don’t spam or randomly post advertisements. I do a lot for free for members of the writing community. Over 60 percent of my sales are from people who start their message saying “I’ve heard great things about you from xxx”. This word of mouth sales is why I don’t worry about Fiverr search, or SEO, or spamming people to buy my gig. I have great customers and they spread the word for me.

WHAT YOU SHOULD TAKE FROM THIS POST

Have patience, think of the long game. Don’t worry about this week’s money, worry about giving a great customer experience to your clients. If they are happy, they’ll tell their friends.

Don’t have templates and cut and paste things, everyone is unique and everyone deserves the time for you to write out a custom reply to them. Trust me, they know the difference.

I don’t moan about not being on the first page (I’m not last time I checked) or that TRS people are getting all the buyers (they aren’t)… I work hard, every day, and I’m building a business that will sustain me long after algorithms change.

Edited First of July, graphic to show consistency:

Don’t have templates and cut and paste things, everyone is unique and everyone deserves the time for you to write out a custom reply to them

You give me template? … 😂 Haha, I’m bad I know, I just could not help myself. But Ill change I promise 😉

After turning in the orders, I don’t ask them to review

Do people intentionally ask clients for reviews? I would think to give clients a free choice to review, especially after having a fair amount of reviews already (theoretically speaking).

3000$ a month is a solid profit, may I ask how many hours a week do you work on average?

The part regarding advertising off Fiverr is key here, for all interested.

Thanks for your time, and for sharing what you know.

I’ll never understand why so many people talk about advertising your Fiverr gigs for yourself on Facebook and other places. The ONLY possible thing a site like Fiverr has to offer is an existing customer base. If you get clients from your own advertising efforts and word of mouth why in the world would you ever use Fiverr for a free 20% cut, rather than your own website?

Please explain.

I’ll never understand why so many people talk about advertising your Fiverr gigs for yourself on Facebook and other places. The ONLY possible thing a site like Fiverr has to offer is an existing customer base. If you get clients from your own advertising efforts and word of mouth why in the world would you ever use Fiverr for a free 20% cut, rather than your own website?

Please explain.

Please explain.

What you are saying is actually true for the work that I do myself personally (graphics, illustration), but for certain work/gigs its not easy to find customers that would want to hire one based off of ones website.

For graphics/illustration one can sign an agreement/contract and make a watermark.

For other work that costs 5$ or 10$, it might be too much hassle to set up a contract, and watermarking content might not be possible in certain cases (text translation for example).

For this kind of work Fiverr is actually a good place to be, as once a gig is completed the money is transferred automatically, and the client is less likely to run away with ones work without any gratificaiton.

So in the latter situation, one pays the 20% cut for the framework which allows mutual work/fee transfer.

For more expensive gigs, it might not work so well.

Please explain.

What you are saying is actually true for the work that I do myself personally (graphics, illustration), but for certain work/gigs its not easy to find customers that would want to hire one based off of ones website.

For graphics/illustration one can sign an agreement/contract and make a watermark.

For other work that costs 5$ or 10$, it might be too much hassle to set up a contract, and watermarking content might not be possible in certain cases (text translation for example).

For this kind of work Fiverr is actually a good place to be, as once a gig is completed the money is transferred automatically, and the client is less likely to run away with ones work without any gratificaiton.

So in the latter situation, one pays the 20% cut for the framework which allows mutual work/fee transfer.

Which is why I do not see a light at the end of the tunnel for myself and that is totally fine.

Sooner or later I see myself as packing shop, but still will give it a try at least for a month, so I can actually honestly say that I gave it a good shot.

Which is why I do not see a light at the end of the tunnel for myself and that is totally fine.

Sooner or later I see myself as packing shop, but still will give it a try at least for a month, so I can actually honestly say that I gave it a good shot.

Yea I don’t have anything over a $100. I don’t want to get too far out there in pricing. While the proofreading has had custom offers higher than that, it’s not on a gig 🙂

Yea I don’t have anything over a $100. I don’t want to get too far out there in pricing. While the proofreading has had custom offers higher than that, it’s not on a gig 🙂

Yes, I have found out first hand how prices affect hits on gig profiles in statistics.

I have created 2 illustration gigs, one having a basic fee of 35$, the other one being $5, and while they differ in the amount of work that goes into each illustration, the 5$ gig had more views in 2 days than the 35$ gig had for more than a week.

This is Fiverr after all, it is what its known for, and it might take a while to change that if at all that is something the admins/owners are looking into.

Please explain.

First of all, nothing prohibits you from factoring in that 20% in your prices, does it? Second, for me, Fiverr takes care of and manages a lot of stuff I strongly dislike doing: writing invoices and then possibly chasing clients. I have a shop here. My website is just… a website. And, I haven’t done that yet, but I will even point to my account here ON my website. The core of what my personal site (and my field of work outside of Fiverr) is about is something I can’t sell here anyways.

Awesome post! I really understand what you try to transmit and it does make a huge difference for any seller.
I’ve been just 3 months here but I’ve noticed a good service is what matters the most. I noticed some other sellers who already had profiles and gigs before I started here have less sales than me. I’m not trying to say I’m better than any other seller but if there’s one thing I noticed is that a good service = a happy customer and that’s the foundation I like to use for my services here on Fiverr.

Thanks a lot for the great words and encouragement.

Cheers,

Congratulations & thanks for sharing - it is motivating.

To add to your post, another benefit of using Fiverr to process payments is that you will know that you will get paid once the job is done. Working without an intermediary like Fiverr doesn’t give you that certainty.

I’m completely not saying that it is the only way, but it also flies against what a lot of people lament about in the forums. I didn’t need a TRS tag, or front page, or featured gigs, I just needed to work hard and focus on quality each and every time – taking my time to form bonds and seeing buyers as people and not paychecks.

Please explain.

That’s a great question.

A big reason to use Fiverr as @uncarved suggests is for trust and accountability.
Getting a client to buy from an unknown site is more difficult than it looks. By directing clients to Fiverr, the client can see the length of time you have been active there, the reviews from other clients as well as having the backup of an independent customer support system should things go wrong.

I also have some other, more speculative reasons which I wrote about in this post:
favicon.icoFiverr Forum default-apple-touch-icon.png

Reasons for linking to your Fiverr gigs/profile - UPYOUR

This post is part of my UPYOUR series based on This Poll and aims to help sellers to deal with issues related to the following four parts of the poll: I have got at least one order from a client I brought to Fiverr myself - 11% I tell people I know...

Reading time: 2 mins ? Likes: 11 ❤

A big reason to use Fiverr as @uncarved suggests is for trust and accountability.

Getting a client to buy from an unknown site is more difficult than it looks. By directing clients to Fiverr, the client can see the length of time you have been active there, the reviews from other clients as well as having the backup of an independent customer support system should things go wrong.

I also have some other, more speculative reasons which I wrote about in this post:

favicon.icoFiverr Forum default-apple-touch-icon.png

Reasons for linking to your Fiverr gigs/profile - UPYOUR

This post is part of my UPYOUR series based on This Poll and aims to help sellers to deal with issues related to the following four parts of the poll: I have got at least one order from a client I brought to Fiverr myself - 11% I tell people I know...

Reading time: 2 mins ? Likes: 11 ❤

Getting a client to buy from an unknown site is more difficult than it looks.

This is true. Also just having a site does not mean anyone will see it as it will probably be buried on google.

A month from now

"I’m not getting any sales"

Actually each month is roughly 2x what the last month was. This month already shows over a grand earned. I work my *ss off.

I don’t rely on luck, on search engines working, or anything other than my own hustle.

Actually each month is roughly 2x what the last month was. This month already shows over a grand earned. I work my *ss off.

I don’t rely on luck, on search engines working, or anything other than my own hustle.

You have amazing gigs. I’ve added you to my favorites list.

Archived