Overdeliver. Hmmmm. Do you?

bigbadbilly

What does everyone think of over delivering orders?

Myself. I barely ever over deliver.

Why?

Simple. I love what I do on Fiverr. However, at the end of the day it is a business. Money changes hands from client to service provider for a job well done. If it’s not well done then there is nothing gained and a chance for a negative.

So, with that said, and keeping things business like, is it really sensible to over deliver? It’s almost like a bribe.

For me, when someone says: “I over delivered” it sounds more like: " I did a shoddy job so here’s some extra cheese."

Like I started this post with. I barely ever over deliver (Some times to regular clients to say thank you) but never to new clients. I should be rewarded and returned to based on the clients level of satisfaction with my work. Not my bribes.

What do you guys think? And do you over deliver to new clients?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like I said, just my thoughts. I’m not in any way saying that over delivering means the work delivered isn’t top notch. I’m just saying… It’s kind of like buying a car from a dealership called: “My cars never break down”. Maybe the cars never do break down but that doesn’t mean you’re not going to think about it.

Another example would be going to McDonalds. How often do they over deliver. (Maybe McD’s isn’t a great choice since I personally think it’s gross… but you get the idea.)

All I’m saying is when work is done really well why would you need to over deliver? And if you are going to over deliver why not just include it in your gig as regular delivery?

Like I said, just my thoughts. I’m not in any way saying that over delivering means the work delivered isn’t top notch. I’m just saying… It’s kind of like buying a car from a dealership called: “My cars never break down”. Maybe the cars never do break down but that doesn’t mean you’re not going to think about it.

Another example would be going to McDonalds. How often do they over deliver. (Maybe McD’s isn’t a great choice since I personally think it’s gross… but you get the idea.)

All I’m saying is when work is done really well why would you need to over deliver? And if you are going to over deliver why not just include it in your gig as regular delivery?

Right. I understand the theory. And it has nothing to do with the thought process of “Why should I overdeliver, it’s only 5 bucks”.

But what I’m saying is as a professional, why would you over deliver? A lawyer or accountant doesn’t. They rely on the fact that they do good work.

And the problem with over delivering, especially with repeat clients is that it becomes expected. If you don’t over deliver they question. Same as if someone refers you saying “They’re great and they over deliver”. What happens if one time you don’t over deliver? And just give what you say. Then it becomes "They’re not as good as usual because they didn’t over deliver."

See my point?

If you over deliver it becomes expected. So why not just offer the extras as part of your normal work?

And, I don’t really think it has anything to do with feedback because I never over deliver. I give just as I say I will and I have a perfect record on all my gigs. And I’ve done well over 2500.

Right. I understand the theory. And it has nothing to do with the thought process of “Why should I overdeliver, it’s only 5 bucks”.

But what I’m saying is as a professional, why would you over deliver? A lawyer or accountant doesn’t. They rely on the fact that they do good work.

And the problem with over delivering, especially with repeat clients is that it becomes expected. If you don’t over deliver they question. Same as if someone refers you saying “They’re great and they over deliver”. What happens if one time you don’t over deliver? And just give what you say. Then it becomes "They’re not as good as usual because they didn’t over deliver."

See my point?

If you over deliver it becomes expected. So why not just offer the extras as part of your normal work?

And, I don’t really think it has anything to do with feedback because I never over deliver. I give just as I say I will and I have a perfect record on all my gigs. And I’ve done well over 2500.

See my point?

See my point?

See my point?

Ha ha.

Well. I have a gig extra for express delivery. But I always try and clear my que as fast as I can, so most times people get the ‘Express’ part for free. I guess in that sense I over deliver. Never thought of it that way.

I guess in the end, over delivery or not the quality of work is what makes or breaks you.

@madmoo. That’s funny. We’re near exactly the same in numbers. And by near exactly I mean 2 orders off. 🙂 - That speaks for itself in all cases I think!

Moral of this post for any new sellers that may be reading. It doesn’t matter if you over deliver or not. The quality of whatever work you do speaks for itself as does your professionalism dealing with new and old clients. Keep it top-notch and sooner or later you’ll be rewarded. It’s never a matter of if, and always a matter of when.

Ha ha.

Well. I have a gig extra for express delivery. But I always try and clear my que as fast as I can, so most times people get the ‘Express’ part for free. I guess in that sense I over deliver. Never thought of it that way.

I guess in the end, over delivery or not the quality of work is what makes or breaks you.

@madmoo. That’s funny. We’re near exactly the same in numbers. And by near exactly I mean 2 orders off. 🙂 - That speaks for itself in all cases I think!

Moral of this post for any new sellers that may be reading. It doesn’t matter if you over deliver or not. The quality of whatever work you do speaks for itself as does your professionalism dealing with new and old clients. Keep it top-notch and sooner or later you’ll be rewarded. It’s never a matter of if, and always a matter of when.

Ha ha.

Ha ha.

Archived