Paypal Chargebacks

Completed an order for a lady a while back, totalled about $200. She had been active on Fiverr for around 2 years ordering and being a seller. I delivered, she instigated a PayPal chargeback against me. All of that money snatched out of my account and four cancellations against my name. First time this ever happened. I get in touch with customer support and they say she will remain banned until the PayPal chargeback is withdrawn. She is now unbanned, but I don’t get my money back. Somebody has my money, and it isn’t PayPal (as she withdrew the claim otherwise she couldn’t return).

Took a LONG time. blah.

A buyer just played with my Intellegience

Just heard back from Customer Support. The money is back in this lady’s account. The only way in which I am going to get paid for the work I carried out is to ask her to re-order.

So basically, this is how the whole situations pans out:

1. Lady gets free articles that she is now using on her website
  2. Fiverr still get their money when she orders another gig.
  3. I get nothing for about 12 hours of work.

I am struggling to see where this is fair on me. I don’t anticipate her jumping up and re-ordering the gigs if she doesn’t have to do so. Basically, it is easy to get free things on here. Just file a paypal dispute, then withdraw it :s Crazy, and I am a little sad now because of it.

By the way, she had no problems with the articles. She said it was perfect content.

Oh crazy, I got a response from the lady. She said since I was 1 hour over the scheduled delivery time (it was a 2 day delivery) she has a right to cancel and get the articles for free. Oh well, looks like that money is out of the window. Onwards and Upwards. Nonetheless, I think it is far too easy to instigate a scam through Fiverr.

Hmm, I don’t see how she has a right to the articles for free. If it was late, her money back yes but to use the articles – no. I’d make it clear that you still own the copyright because of lack of payment and start a DMCA against her.

I also can’t believe that Fiverr is supporting this action! She should be banned just for using this method of deception.

aingham69 said:
  • I also can't believe that Fiverr is supporting this action! She should be banned just for using this method of deception.

• Rate this commentVote Up0Vote Down

• She was banned, but apparently her account is now under 'probation' to make sure she doesn't do it again.

You should go straight to PayPal, and complain and send proof that you delivered as promised. @Misspanda mentioned on another thread that she has fought cancellations via paypal and she has gotten her money back.

ryangillam said: She was banned, but apparently her account is now under 'probation' to make sure she doesn't do it again.

That is ridiculous. I just went in to check if a buyer who initiated a PayPal chargeback before I started the work is now no longer banned and that is the case.

It might be too late to do as alliemadison12 suggests since the chargeback has been reversed but it's something to keep in mind if (or should I say when with this site!) it happens again.

I don't think any type of cancellations should be possible once a buyer has left positive feedback -- it is clearly a sign that the buyer is happy with the work and has no reason to ask for a cancellation!

aingham69 said: I don't think any type of cancellations should be possible once a buyer has left positive feedback -- it is clearly a sign that the buyer is happy with the work and has no reason to ask for a cancellation!

She didn't leave positive feedback. This was in the gig. It then marked as 'auto complete' 3 days after delivery, and shortly after that (about 2 hours after) it was 'cancelled'. I got no notification it was cancelled, I just noticed that my number was '1 higher' when it came to cancellations a couple of days later, so I decided to check it out.

you have to send screen shots to paypal fiverr has no control over this

matt_garry said:
    • you have to send screen shots to paypal fiverr has no control over this

The dispute was withdrawn, which meant Fiverr got their money back from Paypal. It is out of the hands of Paypal now, they don't have the money, Fiverr do, and thus their part of the deal is fulfilled as of course Paypal pay Fiverr, Fiverr pays us.

I would research her and sue her for the lost time or the money or sue her for rights to the writing.

ryangillam said:
    She didn't leave positive feedback. This was in the gig.

Ah, right. I understand now. If the websites the articles are aren't run by her-- such as EzineArticles or ArticleBase--I'd consider getting hold of them with the proof that she didn't pay for the articles and you hold the copyright.

Is she from the same country as you? Is her business highly profitable? If so press charges and you can claim a % of her revenue that would have been a result of your work.

If you don’t go that route, the suggestion above regarding copyright since she didn’t pay for them is also good.

aingham69 said:
  • Ah, right. I understand now. If the websites the articles are aren't run by her-- such as EzineArticles or ArticleBase--I'd consider getting hold of them with the proof that she didn't pay for the articles and you hold the copyright.

• Rate this commentVote Up0Vote Down

• It was an e-book I wrote, which she is now selling in various locations. I will look into it though.

You can 100% sue for that and take all the profits from her sales if she didn’t compensate you for writing it. In fact I would consider waiting a little while so you can get more money for it.

Don’t be so quick to say that. The whole process of hiring a lawyer, etc. is very expensive, and not worth it. Suing is 99% of the time not the answer to troubles.

cust0mcr3ationz said: I would research her and sue her for the lost time or the money or sue her for rights to the writing.

alliemadison12 said: The whole process of hiring a lawyer, etc. is very expensive, and not worth it. Suing is 99% of the time not the answer to troubles.

That is very true. Depending on where she is selling the eBook, she will have to hold copyright. If she doesn't take it down, get in touch with the websites that she is selling it on with the proof that she doesn't hold copyright and you don't give her the right to sell it. Send her a message first giving her X number of days to remove the book herself or you'll be forced to do it and that could damage her reputation much more.

1. She doesn’t need copyright. If she can show she was the original developer, which she easily can through the order communication, she will win. If someone develops a product and doesn’t copyright it, someone else steals it and does copyright it the original developer will win in court.

2. Depending on how much money we’re talking about she may not need a lawyer. In my jurisdiction you can go to small claims court for anything below $16,000. Also some lawyers will take the case on a % of settlement only if they win basis. These will be tough to find for a case like this, but definitely possible.

Reply to @finalstep: Definitely small claims court if she doesn’t accept terms of agreement to take down the ebook or pay you.