Fiverr Forum

Peanuts for Monkey

I just want to be cleared about the theory that is “if you pay peanuts, you get monkey”

Would you guys share your thought about it please?

Since it’s in the Tips for Sellers category and is a common joke more about buying, my first thought is that if it is questionable either way.

As a Tip for Buyers, it seems to mean than paying low prices gets you a worker of lowered intelligence and work of poor quality. Fiverr was based on the idea that buyers could get smart sellers with good work at low prices, but as micro-work. Not $5 for an hour, but $5 for 10-15 minutes of good work. If I bought a $5 gig and was promised 10 minutes of good, intelligent work, I should get it.

As a Tip for Sellers, this might apply to a seller with at least hundreds of reviews and enough buyers to turn down $5 jobs. It doesn’t apply well to a newer or slower paced seller. Why? Because to earn your way upwards, you might need to offer an hour of smart, quality work for “peanuts” and that doesn’t make you a monkey. It’s just part of getting established.

Thanks, I’s just looking for an explanation and I got it.

Fiverr connects you to an audience of buyers all over the world who you would otherwise not have access to. As a seller, you’ll probably have to work a little harder (longer) to establish yourself and you won’t earn much at first. But if you stick with it and build a reputation, you’ll start to get requests for larger jobs. With these requests comes a better understanding of what your market is looking for. With that information, you can build new gigs to serve those needs. In a lot of ways, working here is like a micro version of any other business. You’ll get out of it what you put in. If you’re truly a monkey, you won’t be at it here for long.