Peanuts for Monkey

pabelahd

Since it’s in the Tips for Sellers category and is a common joke more about buying, my first thought is that if it is questionable either way.

As a Tip for Buyers, it seems to mean than paying low prices gets you a worker of lowered intelligence and work of poor quality. Fiverr was based on the idea that buyers could get smart sellers with good work at low prices, but as micro-work. Not $5 for an hour, but $5 for 10-15 minutes of good work. If I bought a $5 gig and was promised 10 minutes of good, intelligent work, I should get it.

As a Tip for Sellers, this might apply to a seller with at least hundreds of reviews and enough buyers to turn down $5 jobs. It doesn’t apply well to a newer or slower paced seller. Why? Because to earn your way upwards, you might need to offer an hour of smart, quality work for “peanuts” and that doesn’t make you a monkey. It’s just part of getting established.

Fiverr connects you to an audience of buyers all over the world who you would otherwise not have access to. As a seller, you’ll probably have to work a little harder (longer) to establish yourself and you won’t earn much at first. But if you stick with it and build a reputation, you’ll start to get requests for larger jobs. With these requests comes a better understanding of what your market is looking for. With that information, you can build new gigs to serve those needs. In a lot of ways, working here is like a micro version of any other business. You’ll get out of it what you put in. If you’re truly a monkey, you won’t be at it here for long.

Archived