Fiverr Community Forum

People asking for more and more

Hi there,

I am sure there have been lots of posts about this already… but here we go…

I am new to Fiverr. I do logo design. At day 3 of my presence on Fiverr, I got 3 orders in (I was pleasantly surprised and happy), and I was also featured as a rising talent.

The nature of my work is such that I offer logo concepts - depending on the package, buyers can get multiple concepts in the first stage, for them to look at and pick from. However, at the end, I deliver only 1 logo as the final product - whichever they pick out of the concepts I showed them. One of my lowest end packages contains only 1 logo concept, and because of the price, it is the most popular one.

I feel that people do not understand that what they order is not a custom order (where, for a much higher fee, I would have promised to go back and forth with them unlimited times until I come up with something that is pleasing to them) and they treat “requests for revisions” as a green light to ask for new logos simply because they did not like it. The problem is that if I refuse to do the work, I will get a bad review for it most likely.

I just experienced a difficult buyer, who kept saying no to the concepts that I suggested, changing her mind halfway through about what kind of logo she wanted, and saying things contradictory to what she had put in the order… and then she kept asking me for revisions even though her package included only 1 request for revision (which might include requests to change multiple things). But in this case, she wanted to fine-tune and try things out so she kept asking for revisions and then asking for new ones after I submitted the new version (by message)…

Generally, I don’t use the deliver now function if I have time to spare as I prefer to check with the customer first, but I realize that this means that their “request for revisions” doesn’t get “recorded” onto the order (i.e. they don’t get to click on request for revisions, they can simply ask for them in private). Maybe I’m inexperienced with this - but what is the best approach in this case, to dissuade buyers from abusing the goodwill of the seller? And how do I make it clear to them that requests for revisions are not requests for new concepts/new logos… they are just requests to change something in the concept that I provided…

With this particular individual, she purchased the cheapest package and it comes with 1 logo concept and 1 revision request. But I have already given her 10 different logos, and finally she asked me to replicate a logo that she liked… after this last request, I was just fed up and told her that if I were to do this, I would mark this order as delivered and would not provide any new concepts. She just now asked me for a revision though despite the fact that I exactly replicated her sample…

I am now wondering if I made the mistake of giving her medium-high quality images without watermark (.JPEG, so not super high quality / not source file but quite big in terms of dimensions, etc. because I wanted the client to really see well the details of the logo) that were big enough for her to be able to use them and she kept asking for more to be able to stock up on more logos and then pick whichever she preferred? I guess I’ll never know… but I am wondering , esp. logo designers, how you deal with the whole misconception around requests for revisions being a request for a new logo…?

At the end of the day, there is an element of trust that goes into buying a service such as logo design, because you are relying on the creativity of someone and you might not like their ideas no matter how many they show you… this is why it is important to give them a clear idea as to what exactly you want (if you are that picky and don’t trust the person) + make sure that you like the person’s previous work/style… I am not sure how to navigate this though on the Fiverr platform…