Fiverr Forum

Pesky Discount Code Rears Its Ugly Head

I don’t care that Fiverr offers discount codes… That’s their choice and right! However, it does bother me when they take $2.40 from me for the discount when THEY ARE THE ONES doing the DISCOUNT. I AM NOT Offering the discount code, they are!

So why am I being penalized for it?!! My time is worth money, and Fiverr should understand that. I hope this client understands, but I am not going to work for $9.60 on a what should be clearly a $12 in-the-end deal.

Sorry, not going to happen. I am beyond livid… This is ridiculous!

Fiverr charges 4$ on 10$ order?

This is silly…
If they want to give a discount/offer then they should add $$ to a buyers credit, not take the money from sellers who are unaware…

This is the result of all those people posting threads asking to have the possibility to offer discounts/free work/refunds…

It will not surprise me then if a client comes now with a discount code “buy one get two” so I’ll have to work double and even for free…

Well done! :unamused:

I hear that…

I just think if Fiverr decides to these discounts, they should take NO money away from the seller.

If your order is supposed to be $15 and the buyer uses a 20% off discount code, Fiverr is the one that needs to eat the cost, not us sellers. We should still get our $12 - not $9.60 because it still gives Fiverr their cut of a $1 of every $5.

We’re not the ones offering the discount; they are! I wouldn’t be so negative about this if it were ME giving the discount, but I’m not and I’m the one getting screwed. Fiverr gets ALL OF their share of the discount but I get less than what I normally would. That’s not right at all!

Can sellers avoid this discount?

It doesn’t appear so.

Send a ticket, I’m sure I read on the forum that someone who did got the difference from Fiverr, so it’s worth a try, I guess.

I just got a message back from Fiverr CS. I wasn’t angry with them or anything, but I let them know what I thought and here is what they messaged me back with. Let me give thanks to Dan for responding to the ticket.

Hi Susan,

Thank you for contacting us and thank you for the feedback. You’re definitely right - a discount Fiverr offers does come from Fiverr, and seller’s revenues are not affected, unless there is an issue like it is with this case.

Feel free to let us know in a new request as soon as this order is completed, so we can compensate you with the missing funds. Thank you.

Because of this issue, I’m creating a technical ticket for our Fiverr Tech Team. They will review your support request ticket #2050590 and work on resolving the issue for you. This may take some time to resolve on our end, but we will keep you updated on their progress.

Once the issue is resolved, one of our support team members will update this request with the feedback received from our tech team. Thanks for your patience with this technical issue, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thank you for sharing this.

Just as an FYI, most buyers see you and 5r as one. They have no idea the money is taken from you and don’t think about that when placing order.

Don’t be so harsh on us buyers and think the worst. Some of us just need to be educated. :cry:

Owww, Come here Gina, Let me give you a HUG. :hugging:

Oh, I wasn’t upset with him about it. I just asked him if that’s what he did and explained to him how it affected me. He agreed that it wasn’t right for Fiverr to take money from us when we’re not the ones offering the discounts. He agreed to also purchase an additional gig to cover the cost.

I was quite polite about it.

Obviously it was a bug/technical glitch as explained in CS’s reply.

Fiverr would never offer a promotion and make a seller lose on it.

If you had ever worked in any kind of real-world business, you would know that this kind of thing is impossible. In short, it’s not a bug. Fiverr is just hoping that sellers won’t notice. Either this or some rouge element is fiddling the books and there is an insinuation on Glass Door that there has been a problem with employees at Fiverr stealing.

Now. The countdown begins to this post being flagged. 5, 4, 3, 2, Gone?

Again, it can be a developer misuse. These are simple fixes that can either make or break it. In other terms, whether the coupon should take off money from a seller or whether it comes out of Fiverr’s pocket.

If you’re assuming Fiverr is doing this on purpose that’s completely stealing.

It is stealing and it is intentional because there is absolutely no way Fiverr’s marketing budget could be directly linked to a seller making a sale. The very idea of this being a bug is preposterous. It is a subject which rears its head every month!

Saying this is a bug is like saying that your real world workplace just accidentally paid their electricity bill out of your wage due to a bug. It can not happen. If it did, an accountant of the company in question would be held up as the must stupid and dangerous person in the world.

There is no bug here. This is theft. End of. it is just being gotten away with because people are either not realizing what is happening or they are buying this insensible bug line.

You’re 100% correct. It was not a bug. However as previously explained it could have been permitted by “A” product manager or the developer in charge of those codes rather than the actual admins of Fiverr. I find it hard to believe it was deliberately set up to deduct money earned from their marketing codes.

Again, if that is indeed the case that’s flat out stealing.

In all honesty, I don’t think it’s flat-out stealing. I DO believe it’s a glitch in the system. Granted… a repeated one because I’ve had this happen once before and was able to get compensated for it. Here’s what I wrote to Fiverr CS this morning to address the issue:

Good day Fiverr CS,

I am writing to let you know that I received an order from a buyer for $12 (odd, I know) and in my revenues, it was listed as $9.60. From experience, something told me he used a discount code from Fiverr. So, I asked the client if that’s what he did. He said he did - it was a 20% off discount code.

While I think it’s commendable that Fiverr offers discounts (even though it is already a discount site), I think it’s in bad taste (and a slap to the face) of the sellers who are not aware of the discounts being offered. I do not feel that we sellers should be penalized for a buyer using a discount code. I feel if you guys want to offer a discount code that the cost should ultimately come from your end - not the sellers. It’s not right that the order comes in for $12 and, after all the work I put in for a nearly 1,500-word article, I get just $9.60 - in what should be $12.

Is this just a glitch on your end?

Thank you for your attention to this matter.
Susan

As you can see, I wasn’t mean about it. I didn’t post the full response from Dan… but maybe I should… Here’s the rest of it:

Because of this issue, I’m creating a technical ticket for our Fiverr Tech Team. They will review your support request ticket and work on resolving the issue for you. This may take some time to resolve on our end, but we will keep you updated on their progress.

Once the issue is resolved, one of our support team members will update this request with the feedback received from our tech team. Thanks for your patience with this technical issue, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Now, whether it’s a bug or a glitch, it doesn’t matter… it shouldn’t happen. And, Fiverr needs to deal with the issue to fix it… permanently.

In all honesty, do you have any idea what would happen if you started your own business, somehow allowed the same thing to happen and the IRS decided to audit you?

Once is a mistake. Once a month is a well know act of crime called ‘account skimming.’

I was a few dollars short one time with some odd cents shown, it was something like a sale for $2.51 in my earnings. They checked it and after I showed it to customer support, they added in about 60 cents after a while. I never did understand what it was. It wasn’t enough to worry about.

Don’t mind them; that’s how they are.