Fiverr Community Forum

Phishing alert! Do not the open .doc files sent by scammers

Hello fellow Fiverr sellers,
Within last 1 hour I received messages from 2 different users asking me to download a .doc file and a link to download it outside of Fiverr.
To many it may look like a normal .doc file, but beware this file contains a macro which will run and your computer will get infected with malware.
Immediately report such users and if you ever receive a file that is suspicious never try to open it without running a anti virus scan on it.
Here’s how the message I received looks like.
Be safe.

5 Likes

i had also received same thing. But the message was a bit different. But i was unable to open that document. It required and older version of MS office. So i downloaded it, installed it, opened the file with that version and it required to enable macros, i enabled it also. But still i was unable to view up the file. I told that to the buyer, but there is actually no answer till now. I was pretty much puzzled. Thanks for information. It has really infected my PC a bit. I was confused what has gone wrong with it. Now i am very worried if they have got any information with the help of this file. :confused:

1 Like

Please never open anything that require macros to be run.

4 Likes

This comes up again and again. Some people are going to send you files that legitimately have macros in them. I work with MS Office documents so it happens to me over 50% of the time.

The thing to do is to scan them for viruses before opening them.

Have a look at this link to get some ideas:

5 Likes

Ok read this carefully.
Your PC is probably infected by a malware by now and the hackers have your logins to your accounts.
I suggest you change all your passwords ASAP from a different computer or from your phone.
There could be a keylogger installed and they can use your accounts to make unauthorized transactions.
Once you do that do a complete scan of the PC that is infected.
I think you don’t have a AV installed or else most of them would have notified you of the risk of opening the file or you might have simply ignored.
Be safe and take precautions.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for the warning. It’s a good reminder to be more alert. It’s easy to get excited about a possible new gig and not think it through.

2 Likes

Hello to all Fiverr users,

I just received similar inquiry in the inbox with suspicious Word document named Details.doc and I just checked it for malware and analysis showed that file is infected and dangerous.

I recommend to everyone to be careful with similar one page Word files showing a message about the incompatibility and suggests a macros activation. Screenshot is attached.

Take care!

2 Likes

This happened to me last month. Luckily my virus guard blocked it. And i reported it to customer support.

i’m doing it.
Thanks for your help.

1 Like