Please add an option to "accept/decline a direct gig purchase without prior agreement"

hajirabatool

Please FIverr Listen to what sellers has to say. Please add an option to refuse direct Gig purchases for orders that may not match price, delivery time or whatever reason. Sellers should have the option to work on their own choice.
I have clearly mentioned in my GIg to PLEASE discuss before placing orders. Because every task has unique requirements and general Gig prices do not match every project. Still the buyers place direct orders before having a consent and it eventually leads to lower order completion rate. I had to cancel total 3 orders due to this reason in one year dropping my order completion rate to 88% and it is going to demote me from level 2 to level 1 in next evaluation. Totally disappointed as worked so hard to achieve Level 2.
Fiverr is growing but the attitude towards sellers is quite careless. PLEASE LOOK into this matter.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do get where you are coming from and it is something i have thought about but there would be issues in creating such feature and would effect buyers / Fiverr’s user experience.

Direct purchases should be fine because you have total control of the project, delivery time and price. If you have a gig that is not clearly defined then you need to amend this as best as possible.

If a customer orders something and asks for more, that is up to the seller to let them know that what they have asked for is extra and thus would incur additional budget. It is very challenging for many sellers to say no, but it is not the end of the world if you are polite and explain, you can even make more money by upselling :).

Please FIverr Listen to what sellers has to say. Please add an option to refuse direct Gig purchases for orders that may not match price, delivery time or whatever reason. Sellers should have the option to work on their own choice.

I have clearly mentioned in my GIg to PLEASE discuss before placing orders. Because every task has unique requirements and general Gig prices do not match every project. Still the buyers place direct orders before having a consent and it eventually leads to lower order completion rate. I had to cancel total 3 orders due to this reason in one year dropping my order completion rate to 88% and it is going to demote me from level 2 to level 1 in next evaluation. Totally disappointed as worked so hard to achieve Level 2.

Fiverr is growing but the attitude towards sellers is quite careless. PLEASE LOOK into this matter.

Please add an option to refuse direct Gig purchases for orders that may not match price, delivery time or whatever reason.

If you type “decline orders button” in the search bar above there are over 50 topics on the subject going back years which you may find interesting.

I have moved this to Fiverr Site Suggestions.

I do get where you are coming from and it is something i have thought about but there would be issues in creating such feature and would effect buyers / Fiverr’s user experience.

Direct purchases should be fine because you have total control of the project, delivery time and price. If you have a gig that is not clearly defined then you need to amend this as best as possible.

If a customer orders something and asks for more, that is up to the seller to let them know that what they have asked for is extra and thus would incur additional budget. It is very challenging for many sellers to say no, but it is not the end of the world if you are polite and explain, you can even make more money by upselling :).

I appreciate your kind reply. However, if I have to write 500 words on a simpler topic e.g. “Biochemical nature of carbohydrates” I can do it in 15$. On the other hand, if I am asked to write 500 words on “molecular mechanisms of HOXD13 signaling”, I would never do it in this amount and would charge at least 50$ for this. You see, I can’t write 50$ in gig price as it will cause me to loose clients looking for topic 1. Unfortunately, I am forced to do this now and I have to increase my Gig prices to reduce direct “unjustified” Gig purchases.

Please add an option to refuse direct Gig purchases for orders that may not match price, delivery time or whatever reason.

If you type “decline orders button” in the search bar above there are over 50 topics on the subject going back years which you may find interesting.

I have moved this to Fiverr Site Suggestions.

Yes I have observed that while I was searching for a solution. I was overwhelmed to see some posts from 2014 reporting same issue. That’s why I am trying to plead to Fiverr to please listen to us.

There is always a solution. There must be one for this problem. Like Fiverr can keep a 12 hour limit, for example, for the seller to either decline or accept the order. After the limit expires, order can be automatically either accepted or cancelled. At least give us a chance to communicate.

I agree with this 100%, it’s so frustrating and it ruins our Fiverr reputation.

I have also clearly stated in my Gigs that people should contact me before buying a Gig but I’ve already had to cancel an order because people placed an order before telling me what they wanted and wanting me to do something I can’t do.

It should be mandatory for people to message us before placing an order.

100% Agree with this! 1200 characters for your gig description I feel is not enough to cover every minute detail of what I can and car work with etc. Not that all buyers read that anyway, personally I always specify that I work with windows servers and I’ve had multiple people place an order and tell me they’re running a linux distro on their server and I have to either cancel the order or get them to rent a windows server.

I think there’s no harm in having some sort of seller review process where you can accept / deny orders based on the requirements they’ve put or even just a tick box to verify they’ve read and understood the gig description would be very useful. Alternatively there could be a feature where a buyer cannot place an order if they have not messaged the seller, there are quite a few ways you could approcah this issue and the seller can decide if they want to use it or not.

Lack of ability to decline taking a client/gig is contrary to most laws in most (civilized) countries where a business is an entity with Sovereignty (i.e. the right to make decisions about what happens within its space).

All it takes is for someone to order the whole A-Z worth of services (26) where the gig states they get ABC (3) and the seller has no option but to lose on either of their choices to comply or cancel.

I get that Fiverr want make a place where everyone always gets what they want with no declines ever but the example above plays out over and over and this has lead to many “buyers” thinking that they own the sellers, even if only by giving such a poor brief that time is stolen. This is completely contrary to the concept of Sovereignty.

🙂

I appreciate your kind reply. However, if I have to write 500 words on a simpler topic e.g. “Biochemical nature of carbohydrates” I can do it in 15$. On the other hand, if I am asked to write 500 words on “molecular mechanisms of HOXD13 signaling”, I would never do it in this amount and would charge at least 50$ for this. You see, I can’t write 50$ in gig price as it will cause me to loose clients looking for topic 1. Unfortunately, I am forced to do this now and I have to increase my Gig prices to reduce direct “unjustified” Gig purchases.

Absolutely, that’s why you need to be specific about who your gig is for and what it is about to avoid things like this.

Don’t try to be everything to every buyer. That doesn’t work in a marketplace for the reasons you mentioned.

Sometimes it’s happens but right now there is no option for that well I have to say it’s depend on the buyer they put an order without even discussing or reading description on the gig when that happens You can work out on inbox but sometimes for new sellers buyers who has experience in Fiverr try take advantage of that situation by saying cancel the order if you can’t do it when that happens If You have a strong Fiverr background you can pull out that situation on to your advantage by taking Fiverr CS support which I did two times in last year but sometimes you have to cancel the order and completion rate is decreasing we have to accept it and move on 🥶

They won’t.

This is a marketplace and no marketplace can work that way.

Change your business so that you repel bad buyers and attract good ones.

This is a marketplace, you cannot repel bad buyers and morons. Even a simple splash screen that makes a buyer accept that they fully read your description would be better than letting buyers blindly purchase your gig and getting upset when it’s not what they imagined in their head.

This is a marketplace, you cannot repel bad buyers and morons. Even a simple splash screen that makes a buyer accept that they fully read your description would be better than letting buyers blindly purchase your gig and getting upset when it’s not what they imagined in their head.

This is a marketplace, you cannot repel bad buyers and morons

What?! Of course you can. It’s called building something that incompetent people don’t want but competent people do.

I very seldom get a bad buyer because I designed my gigs for buyers who know what they are doing in business and it’s clear to buyers that they can’t push me around.

You target a business product to a persona and a goal. People get into the trouble when they try to make a business product that tries to be everything to everyone for any purpose.

People get bad buyers when they charge too low and look like they’ll do anything for money. You just make yourself prey when you do that. This is very much in your control.

This is a marketplace, you cannot repel bad buyers and morons

What?! Of course you can. It’s called building something that incompetent people don’t want but competent people do.

I very seldom get a bad buyer because I designed my gigs for buyers who know what they are doing in business and it’s clear to buyers that they can’t push me around.

You target a business product to a persona and a goal. People get into the trouble when they try to make a business product that tries to be everything to everyone for any purpose.

People get bad buyers when they charge too low and look like they’ll do anything for money. You just make yourself prey when you do that. This is very much in your control.

I’m really struggling to understand how explaining exactly what I am willing to work with and following it with “Do not place an order if you have not read and understood this” attracts incompetant people. I’ve had this as part of my gig description for a long time but I still get people who skip that and tell me to work on their linux system. Are you suggesting I should raise my prices and deter people who are less aware of these things but are still perfectly capable of working with me?

I’m really struggling to understand how explaining exactly what I am willing to work with and following it with “Do not place an order if you have not read and understood this” attracts incompetant people. I’ve had this as part of my gig description for a long time but I still get people who skip that and tell me to work on their linux system. Are you suggesting I should raise my prices and deter people who are less aware of these things but are still perfectly capable of working with me?

to understand how explaining exactly what I am willing to work with and following it with “Do not place an order if you have not read and understood this” attracts incompetant people.

I never ever said that. Way to mischaracterize my argument…

I said the product itself is what attracts or repels, not the text you write in the product. I don’t know where you got that from…

Your text doesn’t override the impact of the product on certain groups. You can tell people to do something all you want but that doesn’t change anything if the product is attracting the wrong people and repelling or not discoverable to the right ones.

Sketchy people don’t give up just because of what you wrote in your gig description and your description doesn’t make people discover you. The product does.

Stop thinking that writing a blurb in your gig description overrides the need for low-risk product development. It doesn’t.

To try to clarify:

A High-Risk product would be a Logo for $15 which is clearly assembled in an online bot from clip art. This will draw in poor clients who don’t understand much about how business works. These buyers may be nice people but all too often they will have no idea how business should be done, let alone what a logo really is and therefore how it should be made. Selling such a product attracts clueless buyers and repels serious buyers. This strategy may bring lots of enquiry but returns will be low - made worse by losses with cancelled jobs.

A Low-Risk product would be a Logo for $1,500 where no images are made until a clear Brief about what the business is, who the desired customers are, and what they need to feel about the business has been made after several in-depth conversations. Images will be made by hand in a serious art package (or even drawn at first). Once a direction is chosen (remember thsi is not a pretty pic but a message encapsulated in a visual story) the final logo is developed and delivered along with a document outlining how the logo should be used, colors, etc. Preferably even color alternatives for different situations. This strategy will reduce inquiry rate but returns will be fair-good with few losses seeing the client has to be invested from the start.

The first option may try to ask for initial contact, and fail. The second option will rarely have any new client orders without a conversation first as no experienced buyer will buy without doing their research whereas many inexperienced buyers do - often before they even know what they want themselves.

🙂

To try to clarify:

A High-Risk product would be a Logo for $15 which is clearly assembled in an online bot from clip art. This will draw in poor clients who don’t understand much about how business works. These buyers may be nice people but all too often they will have no idea how business should be done, let alone what a logo really is and therefore how it should be made. Selling such a product attracts clueless buyers and repels serious buyers. This strategy may bring lots of enquiry but returns will be low - made worse by losses with cancelled jobs.

A Low-Risk product would be a Logo for $1,500 where no images are made until a clear Brief about what the business is, who the desired customers are, and what they need to feel about the business has been made after several in-depth conversations. Images will be made by hand in a serious art package (or even drawn at first). Once a direction is chosen (remember thsi is not a pretty pic but a message encapsulated in a visual story) the final logo is developed and delivered along with a document outlining how the logo should be used, colors, etc. Preferably even color alternatives for different situations. This strategy will reduce inquiry rate but returns will be fair-good with few losses seeing the client has to be invested from the start.

The first option may try to ask for initial contact, and fail. The second option will rarely have any new client orders without a conversation first as no experienced buyer will buy without doing their research whereas many inexperienced buyers do - often before they even know what they want themselves.

🙂

These buyers may be nice people but all too often they will have no idea how business should be done, let alone what a logo really is and therefore how it should be made. Selling such a product attracts clueless buyers and repels serious buyers.

Totally. Thanks for the example. This is what I mean by the product itself engaging certain types of buyers, @liamdormon. Nothing you write in your gig description changes this or its impact.

Absolutely, that’s why you need to be specific about who your gig is for and what it is about to avoid things like this.

Don’t try to be everything to every buyer. That doesn’t work in a marketplace for the reasons you mentioned.

That’s actually not possible in all types of services. Especially in scientific content writing, every task is unique and thus needs unique terms. We can generalize it up to some extent only. Like I quoted an example in a previous reply, I could write 500 words on a basic topic for 15-20$ in 24 hours, but I would need almost double the time and cost for an advanced scientific question. If I put my Gig prices on higher end, I will loose the clients looking for basic answers in lower prices. That’s the reason I am suggesting to add a control here. That can be optional for sellers to apply this control or not. I don’t think there should be any problem for clients if there is such a control button. It actually may help in a better user experience for both the buyers and sellers.

That’s actually not possible in all types of services. Especially in scientific content writing, every task is unique and thus needs unique terms. We can generalize it up to some extent only. Like I quoted an example in a previous reply, I could write 500 words on a basic topic for 15-20$ in 24 hours, but I would need almost double the time and cost for an advanced scientific question. If I put my Gig prices on higher end, I will loose the clients looking for basic answers in lower prices. That’s the reason I am suggesting to add a control here. That can be optional for sellers to apply this control or not. I don’t think there should be any problem for clients if there is such a control button. It actually may help in a better user experience for both the buyers and sellers.

Then that’s not appropriate for Fiverr.

The solution you propose isn’t going to work, anyway. People with complex requests aren’t going to say that. They won’t know what constitutes complex and will just order the basic

Then that’s not appropriate for Fiverr.

The solution you propose isn’t going to work, anyway. People with complex requests aren’t going to say that. They won’t know what constitutes complex and will just order the basic

That’s why I am suggesting to add a control button “accept/decline” which would let sellers either accept or decline a direct purchase made without prior agreement or discussion. This should at least work better than how it is working right now. I think it’s way better to not initiate an order without seller’s consent than to cancel it later and reduce the rating of a seller, or demoting a seller from current level. Because such orders are not going to be entertained by a seller any way. So why not add a control button and make it more practical.

Archived