Fiverr Forum

Please Allow Option To Edit Username

I’m sure I’m not alone here but, please please please add an option to edit/change your username. Our usernames as far as I know play very little or no part in the SEO of our gigs/profile. My username does not match my services as it’s normal for people to be able to change it. A simple mistake in the beginning and once I got the ball rolling with orders I felt like I had already worked so hard to get those that I don’t want to start all over with a new account just because I can’t change my username. So, I’ve been with it ever since but I would do anything in the world to be able to change my username. Honestly am just completely confused as to why this wasn’t something that was a part of Fiverr from the beginning.

2 Likes

This isn’t going to happen. Usernames are permanent because they set and identify you throughout this site. It becomes permanent the moment you create an account – just as account usernames are permanent on all other internet sites.

5 Likes

It’s because you have a history on the site that people need to be able to see. Someone could have a bad experience with you and then order again from you not knowing it was the same bad seller they used before.

6 Likes

or the buyer who wants to order your service again won’t recognize you. It will do more harm than good imo.

2 Likes

allowing user name change will be difficult for the system… and users especially can take advantage of it, by changing their identity in case they deliver poor work … just thinking…

2 Likes

Fiverr already also identifies users by userId/user_id (numeric) - which can be seen in the page source - the user id of the logged in user, so it shouldn’t be that hard I think for them to allow the user name to be changed. The new username could keep the same user_id.

There could also be an option to view a user’s user name history if necessary.

They already allow some users to delete an account and create a new one, where the old account no longer shows on the site. Allowing a change of username could be as similar thing - though they’d just need to make sure everything transfers over, depending on the database design. If user_id is used practically everywhere in the database tables (instead of having the username be a key field in many) it should be reasonably easy to do I think.

1 Like

If someone is only a buyer and never a seller and never has had any gigs they sometimes can close their account and then open a new one as far as I can tell.

A seller can never change their ID.

2 Likes