Fiverr Forum

Please... learn how to communicate more effectively

As a Buyer or Seller if, you really want to be good at what you do… AND avoid problems, you need to take a step back and learn how to communicate effectively. That means really listening and thinking before you reply.

As a Seller the reason I ask a Buyer questions is so I can get it right and blow their mind with an amazing product. But when a Buyer doesn’t realize I’m asking questions because I care and the Buyer replies to my questions as if; it’s none of my business or like I’m stupid, and I have to ask a Buyer the same question 3 or 4 times or 3 or 4 different questions to finally get the detail I need, it makes starting a project difficult.

As a Buyer, I often ask the Seller questions so I can get it right about what I need to send them, so they can do a good job for me. But when a Seller buyer doesn’t realize I’m asking questions because I care and the Buyer replies to my questions as if; it’s none of my business or like I’m stupid, and I have to ask a Seller the same question 3 or 4 times or 3 or 4 different questions to finally get the detail I need, it sucks my confidence right out of the equation, and even if the delivery is good, I will never use that Seller again or recommend them to anyone.

Look. It’s business. Questions and Answers are a huge part of SALES. It’s not personal. Learn to hear questions for what is being asked, not for an opportunity to boast, brag or make the Buyer/Seller feel stupid or uniformed.

Behind every question is a few more questions. The sooner you learn to answer every question as if 3 or 4 questions have been asked, the sooner you’ll achieve a higher level of communication, do a better job, and have fewer questions to answer, no matter which side of the fence you’re on.

madmoo said: *you may need to re-read and edit your post - it looks like you've duplicated part of it in error*

No duplicate on my part. Intentional You can guess pretty much that Sellers will skip over the Buyer part and Buyers will skip over the Sellers part.

Reply to @voiceoverwork: thats a good point there. valid info, excellent post

Since I work on comic style portrait gigs, I usually ask a lot of questions before I get started.

In some cases I asked what kind of pose/clothes they wanted the character

to be in, they said “It’s up to you, you decide” and when I deliver the image, they say that it was

different from "what they had in mind."

facepalm

In order to avoid this kind of situation, I ask questions. ASK ASK ASK.

Fortunately for me, nobody has complained that I ask too many questions, in fact

most of my buyers are happy to see that I am willing to put in all the details

in the image.

Usually I add a simple little “Sorry to ask you so many questions, but I would like to

make sure that you would be 100% satisfied!” before I type in the question,

and this helps I think! :smiley:

I had a buyer who seemed very nice, and we had several emails back and forth, but she never placed the order. After half a dozen messages, I told her I understood what she wanted, and she could place the order now, but no response–no order.

@dsaldridge

Well you can’t make them buy. Sometimes they come back later.

Reply to @dsaldridge: I’ve had buyers like that who seemed to be looking for witty conversation rather than orders. Oh well. :confused:

Well just now I messaged I customer because that is what I do before I actually start on every order. I was asked like: ‘Can you translate this into …’ So I answered: ‘That should not be a problem’. I got a reply saying: I do not understand, can you translate this into …’ That left me somewhat baffled. I answered: ’ … is my native language. Yes I am able to translate this.'

I mean what part of ‘That should not be a problem’ is not clear. I just wanted to be polite by using another expression than just plain ‘yes’.