Please multiply deadlines for multiple gig orders, and create an actual, working queue

When a seller gets an order for 20x their gig quantity, they have to deliver 20x the work in the same amount of time as one order. Likewise, if a seller receives 20 different orders, they still have to complete 20x the work in the same amount of time. An excellent remedy for the first is to multiply the gig deadline by the number of gigs, that way the time is adequately divided. As for the second, creating a working order queue, where the next order doesn’t start counting down until the first one is finished, would be a great benefit to sellers.

I’m sorry but I’ve got to disagree on both points.

What if I have a 4 day leadtime and 50 orders in queue? Based on a working order you are expecting buyers to purchase and not have any clear indication of when they will receive their item - other than that it will be within 200 days. That just isn’t feasible.

The whole idea of the delivery time isn’t how long it will take you to complete the specific gig (at $5, no one should even spend 1 day). The delivery time is set based on how long it will take you to manage your average queue amounts based around your personal life and possible real-world job.

When you figure out this average, you are pretty much set. However, you can easily increase and decrease delivery times based on order flows. Received lots of orders one week? Add a couple of days on to provide a break. Received little orders? Drop the delivery to crack them out faster.

Someone ordering 20x the gig quantity could throw you off your average and make delivering more difficult within your previously set timeframe but orders of that quantity usually message beforehand and you can easily custom quote them with a unique delivery time. That being said, once again these $5 orders shouldn’t be taking hours - so a 20x might mean a bit of additional work but it doesn’t happen everyday (and if it did, increase your leadtime).

Adam

People breaking into the freelancing world often under-price their services to build a portfolio. For instance, $5 for 500 words is only 1 cent/word - way under what one could make doing a decent freelancing job, but what is necessary to build a portfolio to show prospective employers. This means a lot of work, and not a lot of time to do it in. Increasing your lead time based on your weekly sales doesn’t exactly work either. If you have a busy week, increasing your lead time only helps with additional incoming orders, not the swamp you are currently stuck in. Then, by increasing your time, you lose potential buyers, so you have a light week. You bring your time back down a little and get swamped again. It’s a never ending cycle that benefits no one because buyers get late deliveries and sellers get too few or too many orders at once.

As for the issue of a long queue, there’s always the option of setting a maximum order amount. Allow sellers to set their queue in increments of 5 or 10 up to, say 50. If the seller’s queue is full their name doesn’t show up in the search and their gig is automatically paused until the queue opens up again. That way no one is waiting an unreasonable amount of time for their gigs, and sellers don’t get screwed.

The idea is that you are able to monitor the trends and increase your delivery time BEFORE you are swamped - not during (that would be a last resort).

I know how many orders I can deliver in a day and my queue fluctuates depending upon how many orders I’m regularly receiving.

Fiverr used to automatically suspend your gig if you were ‘busy’ but lots of sellers hated it and they removed the function about 3-4 years ago. Personally, I hate anything that’s going to limit my sales - what if my threshold was 20 and I received 20 $5 gigs? I could miss out on a $100 buyer because they no longer see my gig in search when looking for a gig to spend their budget on.

As mentioned, the key is knowing your workflows and handling your delivery time respective of that.

There’s a question to be raised on getting swamped at $5 for 500 words. For example, let’s say you can feasibly write 2,500 words a day… that means the most you’re ever going to earn on Fiverr is $20 (after commission) per day. Question is… it it worth spending all of your available time to write 2,500 words for $20? Personally, I wouldn’t. My basic gigs take about 5-10 minutes. I know others who are 2-3 minutes. There’s no way I’d spend a prolonged period of time for $5.

Your above is also a bit of a contradiction… if these freelancers can increase their pricing when they have a better portfolio, wouldn’t it be best to get these ratings as soon as possible, as opposed to stretching $5 orders out over weeks (or by the sounds of it, months)?

Success on Fiverr often means a lot of work in the beginning for a lot of benefits later on.

Good answer reinier01 and i agree with chellevanhoy. Just in my case and other who working with animations is a multiply deadlines for multiple gig orders, and create an actual, working queue a greate benefit!

Whenever I get a huge, unrealistic order I let the client know that sorry I am unable to complete it within the allocated time. I then also mention that I’d be happy to complete it but that it will take x amount of days to complete. This is usually people who wan something like 2 hours of transcription done within 24 hours, haven’t contacted me first, and have purchased the extra’s incorrectly ie buying only one $20 extra rather than 4 for 2 hours of audio. Nothing says you have to do gigs that are ordered, as for a mutual cancellation.

I would also suggest utilizing the custom offer feature, where you can state the amount of days you would like to complete it.

But that doesn’t work for buyers. And it would be a turn off if the actual Queue date countdown started only when you were done with things. That means I might not get my one order for 2 weeks even though your turn around time is 4 days or something like that.

I think it’s just time management in the sense of getting to know how many days your gig should have listed, and then if you are really that buys with orders now, you expand your delivery time from the getgo. There are many top sellers that have really long delivery days listed. Once you are selling alot and have good ratings it’s not that big of a deal.

YOu can also pause your gig.

Plus the other thing is once you build up your portfolio with all the small orders, then you need to change your gig, so you get larger orders and it flows better in terms of timing. but if you have a lot of work to do you should be getting paid well for it after your start-up phase.

To give a more specific example, say you advertise 500 words in 24 hours. and you have the ability to write 2500 words per day. You receive 3 orders on Monday: one for 2500 words(a), one for 1000 words(b), and one for 500 words©. Tuesday you receive three more orders: one for 1000 words(d), and two for 500 each(e)(f). With the current model, you have one day to write (a+b+c)=4000 words (which you can’t do) and another day to write (d+e+f) 2000 words (which you can barely do). With compounded timing, you could deliver (b+c) on Monday, (d+e+f) on Tuesday, and a on Wednesday, ensuring a quality delivery to your clients and still earning the $60 from those orders because they were on time. Even just the option to limit my queue to what I can manage in a day would be a great help.

Yes. It would be like a stat listing on the side of their page, maybe under their rating. That way, the sellers have the option to enable the features and the buyers have the option to skip over those sellers. Everybody wins.

Reply to @twistedweb123: I sure wish I could write an astronomy article in 5-10 minutes.

Reply to @twistedweb123: Forgot to ask- what sort of work can anyone do in 2-3 minutes?

Reply to @reinier01: I won’t reveal the inner working of other people’s services but there’s plenty you can do within 2-3 minutes if you have your workflow down to a tee.

Reply to @reinier01: This raises the issue when it comes to having a platform geared for many different services. What may be applicable for some isn’t for others. I know Fiverr has worked on this with the introduction of things such as search meta etc but I think for UX, the way the queue works needs to be the same across site and unfortunately article writing probably isn’t in the majority when it comes to queue management & control.

Reply to @twistedweb123: It was a rhetorical question, but you may be onto something. I could perhaps think up an article title in that time.

Reply to @reinier01:

I’m sorry I didn’t realise your question was rhetorical. The fact is there are many sellers who have $5 services which only take minutes.

I know of one seller (I’m not going to mention names) who does video spokesperson type gigs.

He loads up the script and reads it as-is from an auto responder. His recording equipment is setup to automatically render that recorded video.

For $5, he will record 30 seconds. So, it takes him 30 seconds to record - 30 - 60 seconds to open up the order and get the script ready. At the end of all videos for that day, he batch uploads.

Just because the work is performed very quickly doesn’t mean it’s low quality. In fact, that’s what usually defines a top seller - someone able to deliver on a large scale quickly without a loss of quality.

If you’re spending 30 minutes writing an article and lots of people are buying just your $5, you’ll never earn a decent amount on Fiverr because there’s only so much time in the day.

As I say, when this is an issue you need to reflect on your own gig and see how it could be better streamlined to deliver faster whilst still producing the same quality.

Reply to @twistedweb123: I hear you, but the reality is that with a system in which we largely do not have control over how orders are placed, many of us are at a distinct disadvantage if we are not willing or prepared to cancel orders to regulate our workflow. But then again, we signed up for this, so we should not complain if we find ourselves with too much work and too little time.

I would much rather have too much work, as is the case now, than sit around twiddling my thumbs wating for orders to arrive.

Reply to @sincere18: I agree, but the start-up phase is where these things are a problem. Custom offers are a godsend but I’ve had a few people who just submitted work that was too long for my basic gig and didn’t bother to contact me first. Now that my portfolio is growing, I’ll change my gig pricing soon. I now have several long-term clients who don’t mind paying me appropriately for the work I do at the quality I deliver. That was not the case two weeks ago.

As far as determining where your order would fall in terms of delivery time, that’s exactly why buyers should contact sellers first. You may very well be that twentieth order of the day, as mentioned before, and you would have known that going in if you had contacted the seller first.

Reply to @alysmcdonough: I do this, too. I just think it would be easier for sellers if the queue and compounded timing were options we could utilize from the get-go. Not necessarily mandatory, but having the option would be nice.

Reply to @twistedweb123: Once I get to, say, level 2 status, I can justify dropping my $5 gig to 100 words or so. That is much more appropriate pricing for the timing I have to put in. But, ask yourself this: would you purchase 100 words for $5 from a new seller without a significant portfolio? How about 250 words, when there are others who offer 1000?

Of course you wouldn’t. So new sellers have to sell themselves short to get a foot in the door. That means doing a lot of work for a little reward until they can justify fair pricing to a buyer.