Please STOP saying this

On several occasions, a buyer said to me, “Can I use my free read and have you read this again but I changed some words…” etc.

So to briefly explain, some buyers seem to think a revision is a Free do-over. Just from my experience I have determined that Some buyers want more than one option to present to their client. Asking you to re-do the project and change it, will give them a second option to show their client. Ok now I get it!

I am careful not to place judgement on people so I just let it ride and as predicted, some buyers use this clever technique to get more options for their client. This is not acceptable.

Please stop telling people that a revision is a FREE re-do. Revisions are for errors on the sellers part or changing a small part of the project to get it closer to what the buyer needs.

How do you as a seller overcome this tricky trick? I added a mandatory section in my order that makes the buyer agree that a revision is not another re-do because they need another option for their client. And that if they need a second option, the word count can be added to the total so the order can include another option.

I approved this first through customer service just to make sure it does not violate any terms of service.

If a buyer has a problem with clicking then I don’t need their business. This may all sound harsh but this is a business. I actually explained to a buyer that if I gave free options I would not be a good business woman.

We also agree and I can send a voice sample to be approved first to avoid any mis communication. I LOVE MY BUYERS! I work very hard for them, but I refuse to be taken advantage of and THAT IS ON ME.

I’ve read a couple of good forum threads on this topic. I’d be happy to link them, if you’re interested.

My personal opinion on revisions is mostly the same, I just point out that ‘revisions’ are not ‘change orders’ and link to the Wikipedia definition of the latter.

After reading some other threads, I am going to create a sample gig. I always provide samples once a buyer purchases the gig. This way we can figure out the tone before I record the final version. But I do like the idea of creating a sample gig for those interested in a real sample.

Since it’s been a few days, I’ve forgotten some of the threads I’d considered linking at the time.
Still, I did remember a few:

This is REALLY after the fact, but if it helps someone else here, I had a customer that wanted a rework of some voice over. Claimed that it sounded choppy and pieced together. The customer ordered through my gig. There was nothing wrong with the first take (in fact, I gave them three takes the first time). After much debate, I went to the resolution center. They advised me to continue to work a resolution, but the customer refused. Long story short. The job was cancelled but no repercussions oth…

For those of you who do not know me or those of you lurking the threads without logging on; take it from a buyer - know how to say “NO!” If you spend any time reading these forums, you’ll find plenty of posts where a seller, typically new - but not always, say they were scammed or the buyer is holding them hostage. They are literally begging forum members, to help them with a really bad scam artist, who is threatening them with bad reviews or giving them a sob story to get things for free. Rem…

We all get them: Buyer wants a discountBuyer wants a free sampleBuyer wants more than he has paid forBuyer asks for a revision which is actually completely different to what was orderedBuyer wants to discuss something at length before/after an orderBuyer wants to cancel after deliveryVery often, people on the forum complain about this type of buyer and label them as “bad buyers”. However, that is not always the case and I would suggest that the number of actual “bad buyers” is signific…

[so%20You%20Want%20to%20See%20Samples] Let me guess. You have arrived here because you are looking to hire a writer on Fiverr, but some of the people you have been messaging won’t let you see examples of their work. Why is that? Are they ignorant? Untalented? Best to be avoided? As a freelance writer, I get a lot of people asking to see samples of my work. Whether it is on Fiverr or elsewhere, everyone wants to try before they buy. As it stands, though, I politely refuse every request. When pe…

Since it’s been a few days, I’ve forgotten some of the threads I’d considered linking at the time.

Still, I did remember a few:

This is REALLY after the fact, but if it helps someone else here, I had a customer that wanted a rework of some voice over. Claimed that it sounded choppy and pieced together. The customer ordered through my gig. There was nothing wrong with the first take (in fact, I gave them three takes the first time). After much debate, I went to the resolution center. They advised me to continue to work a resolution, but the customer refused. Long story short. The job was cancelled but no repercussions oth…
For those of you who do not know me or those of you lurking the threads without logging on; take it from a buyer - know how to say “NO!” If you spend any time reading these forums, you’ll find plenty of posts where a seller, typically new - but not always, say they were scammed or the buyer is holding them hostage. They are literally begging forum members, to help them with a really bad scam artist, who is threatening them with bad reviews or giving them a sob story to get things for free. Rem…
We all get them: Buyer wants a discountBuyer wants a free sampleBuyer wants more than he has paid forBuyer asks for a revision which is actually completely different to what was orderedBuyer wants to discuss something at length before/after an orderBuyer wants to cancel after deliveryVery often, people on the forum complain about this type of buyer and label them as “bad buyers”. However, that is not always the case and I would suggest that the number of actual “bad buyers” is signific…
[so%20You%20Want%20to%20See%20Samples] Let me guess. You have arrived here because you are looking to hire a writer on Fiverr, but some of the people you have been messaging won’t let you see examples of their work. Why is that? Are they ignorant? Untalented? Best to be avoided? As a freelance writer, I get a lot of people asking to see samples of my work. Whether it is on Fiverr or elsewhere, everyone wants to try before they buy. As it stands, though, I politely refuse every request. When pe…

I now have a gig that is a “I will record a sample for you” it makes me feel better. Once a buyer purchases my gig I will send a sample of the script so we can work together before I record and edit a full read. It works 100% of the time this way. They also agree in the mandatory order that they understand I only supply one read. If they want another read to present to their client, they can add it into the order word count. It’s working great!!!

I now have a gig that is a “I will record a sample for you” it makes me feel better. Once a buyer purchases my gig I will send a sample of the script so we can work together before I record and edit a full read. It works 100% of the time this way. They also agree in the mandatory order that they understand I only supply one read. If they want another read to present to their client, they can add it into the order word count. It’s working great!!!

As timing would have it, someone asked me to record a sample sentence and I politely sent him a link to my SAMPLE gig. Wow it was liberating just to have that option! I suggest all Voiceover gigs create a SAMPLE gig just so they have this wonderfully respectable tool to use.

Archived