Fiverr Forum

Please use the search function on the Fiverr Forum BEFORE posting a new thread

Howdy, I have noticed hundreds of new threads on the forum recently all asking the same questions and the same answers being given by the same people.

Please guys lets keep the forum clean and manageable by searching for your question FIRST and responding to an already active thread, spend a few minutes doing this and you never know you might just find the answer you’re looking for.

If you can’t find a thread that matches your question, please feel free to start your own thread !

For those who haven’t noticed the search box (yes people have asked me how to search) here is a quick video.

Thanks !

Yes, yes, YES!!!

A little search “never hurt nobody”. :slight_smile:

Reply to @kjblynx: What are your specific concerns, I understand it is NOT perfect, but it is a starting point for users to look up basic terms such as the one in my video, if you’re giving it complex search terms then you’re going to hit trouble.

If you have suggestions on how this can be improved I will raise it

The forum is also a place where people can rant, get things off their chest, etc. A forum isn’t just about questions and answers, but a COMMUNITY TO help each other out and get different perspectives. What one may post in a discussion as an answer is more than likely their opinion and if you feel that it was not discussed adequately enough to your understanding, surely you should not feel guilty about asking again. At least I hope so.

steveeyes said: What one may post in a discussion as an answer is more than likely their opinion and if you feel that it was not discussed adequately enough to your understanding, surely you should not feel guilty about asking again.

I agree but I don't think that was Wayne's point. If you want further clarification, it means that you at least checked out some posts.

What Wayne is talking about, for example, 4 posts in a row titled some variation of "How do I add gig extras?". For example:

1. How do I add gig extras?
2. I need to add gig extras.
3. Help, I don't know how to add gig extras!
4. Gig extras, where do I type them in?

ALL of the FRONT page!

Even if you don't want to do a search, minimally you can scroll down the page you're on and see that the question was just asked. That might help prevent your post being ignored. I think it is pretty common to join a forum and read through other people's posts. What I find strange is joining the forum and "blindly posting" without doing a single scroll through or search.

Just the fact that we are all replying to this post tells me that we actually read through posts that are not our own. :)

I am one of these persons that do use the search function before posting. As pointed out before, it has failed me horribly, and I am afraid that I have done some double posting myself.

However, not on first page topics though.

I sometimes find an answer by using Google.

When I google my question, Google directs me on most occasions to an existing thread on this forum.

Maybe this is something others could try too.

Other than that, you are all right of course.

But the forum’s search function has got some major issues!

Reply to @steveeyes:

steveeyes said: The forum is also a place where people can rant, get things off their chest, etc. A forum isn't just about questions and answers, but a COMMUNITY TO help each other out and get different perspectives. What one may post in a discussion as an answer is more than likely their opinion and if you feel that it was not discussed adequately enough to your understanding, surely you should not feel guilty about asking again. At least I hope so.

Yes! I also come here to rant, to get things of my chest! Sometimes the feeling is combined though. Rant and question combined mostly. And sometimes, I find the answer to the question while ranting.
I hope nobody will hold that against me!

Reply to @belgianwriter: more than major issues! :slight_smile:

I think honestly Fiverr may be better off actually adding a bit of code that says something like, “You are submitting an awfully familiar thread, have you used the SEARCH function yet?” and perhaps a link attached or at least a list of topics that have been created with those same keywords that they can read and click into if the discussion is the same. It doesn’t seem as though some of them will learn to use the search any time soon or even do a general browse of the forum. Although honestly I have searched stuff through the forum on occasion… and it doesn’t seem to pick up all the results. I was trying to reference something said by a Fiverr staff in a thread recently, and although I knew the exact wording, it still wouldn’t pick it up. I searched and eventually found it… but it should have picked up a bit better than it did…

@steveeyes Yes I believe you have missed my point, feel free to RANT any time you wish, what I am saying here is:

1. If you have a question for example how do I withdraw, search it first. It’s not hard, No?!

2. If and only if you can’t see anything then post your own thread.

I acknowledge that search is NOT perfect and there are going to be duplicates, users should spend some time first to look if their question has been asked / answered, I am raising those concerns as I type, But use search as a launch pad first !

This is not a “Teaching your grandma to suc k eggs” post, just common sense, I’m sure we can all exercise that here.

Rant away…

Reply to @freelancemm:

Thanks for your feedback, I’ll pass this on!

@ozzieuk No problem, I would also suggest you passing on although I am sure it’s been mentioned before the ability for sheriffs to pin important topics that get mentioned over and over again like how to optimize gigs, what gig extras are, what levels are, and all that. Maybe even a thread if the user is new that they are required to read before entering the forum. A “training manual” if you please that covers the basics of the forum, and links to the most informative threads(perhaps based on a value system of responses.). Simple things like this could cut down on a lot of clutter, in my opinion. I have ran forums in the past and a lot of things like this helped greatly.

Oh, we can already do that. If I am honest, I have not been past the forum in a few weeks and noticed it’s a big overgrown, but yes, it’s time to do some pruning

Reply to @ozzieuk: Oh, I had no idea. You might also want to pass on to them a limitation of how many threads a user can make within a certain time-frame to save you guys some time. Most of these spammers seem to send a bunch of messages all in a short time-frame(well beyond what any one of us could, even if they typed super fast!) but that’s getting a bit off-topic. I suppose though that with more responses on this thread, it can only help in regards to exposure to the thread and at least help get more people to search around before making a thread. Best of luck with the pruning, :slight_smile:

freelancemm said: Most of these spammers seem to send a bunch of messages all in a short time-frame(well beyond what any one of us could, even if they typed super fast!) but that's getting a bit off-topic.

Well this makes me think of another kind of annoying spam that I seem to wake up to every morning: let's call them the babaji's ... What can be done about these? I imagine it might turn first time users of this forum off for good. I report them on a daily basis!

Reply to @freelancemm: Your suggestions are valid and would probably be helpful, but I’m concerned that asking Fiverr to fix a buggy forum would be a welcome distraction for them to not focus on fixing the even buggier work platform! Just saying. :slight_smile:

I’ve noticed a trend in ‘workplace’ forums in general over the past couple of weeks - they’re getting totally overloaded with the most basic of site function questions like “I just signed up, how do I make money?” and “How do I make my profile?” I haven’t decided if it’s just plain laziness or if the new users are actually quite clever and rely on either very nice people or folks who just want to be know-it-alls to do all the work for them. :wink:

@itsyourthing Unless it’s coded in a very weird manner, honestly it shouldn’t take more than an hour to add most of the things I suggested. But yes, I totally agree. We’ll see what happens, really. In fairness, they did just do a big rehaul of their old version not too long ago(at least in the perspective of business) so that was definitely a good start.

In my opinion, I believe a lot of them work on an “impulse” sort of like how sales on Fiverr work. People do impulse buys like they do impulse posts. They just might be so desperate in need of an answer that they feel that posting on the forum will get them a faster response than it would asking customer service, and some seem to feel that the forum is customer service(for whatever the reason, and I don’t exactly blame them as it’s not the most noticeable thing to find where to contact CS.)

I have actually in the past asked some “repeat questions” but in a way as I was looking for some specific answers outside of the standard FAQ answers, so some people may be doing this as well. But yeah, the other reason could be that they are just lazy. haha

@belgianwriter

Well, the actual time delay on posting will at least throttle the spammers for 24 hours. The other thing would be to do is maybe some kind of blocking on threads with excessive use of links or what is known as “keyword stuffing”. What I did when I ran a forum is actually ran it through a “keyword trigger” system, as well as an “ip check” to check to match ip’s that have been notorious for spamming forums. Now this may create some false positives, but at the same time it should almost completely eliminate spammers.

Search is being improved in the very near future, will keep you posted!

freelancemm said: Unless it's coded in a very weird manner, honestly it shouldn't take more than an hour to add most of the things I suggested. But yes, I totally agree. We'll see what happens,

None of the individual 'fixes' for the site should take long, but without proper prioritizing and getting quality work, it's fairly pointless. There are still myriad issues since the overhaul - basics like links not working in the user dashboard - they seem to be willing to ignore everything and anything until they get sufficient complaints.

As you say, we'll see. :)

You can also ‘search’ by clicking on the discussions categories on the top right hand side.

Best of luck,

:slight_smile: Joe

The Creative Guys | 2014