Fiverr Forum

Pop Ads

Today, all of a sudden I am getting pop ads all over fiverr and it is running very slow. I scanned and cleaned my computer but the ads keep coming. Anyone else having this issue?

Yes, I see this CRAP all the time.

I am shocked that Fiverr drops down into the SEWER, to try to make a few pennies with these SCUM-level SPAM popup ads!

:open_mouth: [-X :open_mouth:

You must have MALWARE on your computer, because Fiverr doesn’t use pop-up ads on the site. You should check your anti-virus software’s website to learn how to get rid of it, because usually the routine virus scans you run don’t recognize malware as a virus. I use internet explorer, and can explain how to get rid of it with that browser but I don’t know how to on other browsers or non-windows platforms.

Reply to @celticmoon: Thanks for trying to help, Celtic, but…

1. I use Malwarebytes, which specifically looks for the malware you’re referring to.

It has said I’m CLEAN, for the past 2 months.

2. The popups, if they were malware, would come up randomly no matter what sites I visit. And I visit a LOT of sites!

Only 3 have these popups - and Fiverr is one of them.

3. IE is the WORST browser available, for INFECTIONS!

So it’s no wonder that YOU would automatically assume, it’s a virus.

I use Firefox. And Celtic, when I switched from IE to FF, the frequency of infections (virus, spam, browsing tracker, keyword logger… and other malware)…

…dropped by 95%!

:open_mouth: :open_mouth:

@sosteen517

I have never seen pop ads on Fiverr.

Fiverr is glitchy on IE and seems to work best with Chrome and FireFox, and you need to clear your cache / history regularly.

And as stated above you need to keep your machines clean. Using CCleaner and Malware Bytes are 2 effective methods for that. Also having a dependable anti-virus program installed to look out for invaders, monitor your email and scan downloads is a must.

I have no pop up ads on Fiverr. I can guarantee you that it is a maleware situation. I also run maleware bytes, norton, etc and still can get something attached to my browser that causes havoc.

May I recommend installing a clean browser you don’t use right now (i.e. chrome, firefox, etc). The reason I say install a clean version because even if you delete the browser you normally use and install it again, the maleware could attach itself to the browser again once you reinstall.

After you install a clean browser you never used, explore fiverr and see if the popups are still there. I bet they won’t be.

Reply to @regency85: Actually, the only time I got malware was my own fault…I installed something & didn’t check it first. I know, totally dumb. And it was easy to remove on IE, but it’s been years since I used Mozilla or other browsers routinely, so of course I can’t readily explain how to do the same on other browsers.

I know that PC’s have far more viruses than Mac’s (because far more are created aimed at them) but didn’t realize different browsers were susceptible to such varying degrees. In any case it seems really odd that you have pop-ups on Fiverr but don’t think it’s from malware. When I (briefly) had the malware, the pop-ups were anywhere & everywhere but almost always on retail sites…not the news or educational/science ezines I read. But in the 2 years I’ve been on Fiverr, I’m absolutely sure that I’ve never seen a pop-up ad and never seen the notifications my protection software gives when it suppresses them, so wherever they’re coming from I really don’t think it’s Fiverr~!

Reply to @celticmoon: I’m starting to be convinced, given how many have posted here that they’ve never seen pop unders on Fiverr.

It’s just there are those nagging, several facts, that say this is NOT an infection…?

Reply to @regency85: I don’t use a specific malware screener, just my anti-virus program which includes it, so I hope this isn’t a stupid question. Do you need to keep malware files updated the same way that virus definitions must be? Is it possible something slipped in that is new or different enough that Malwarebytes doesn’t recognize it?

Just wondering. As I said above, I had to still manually remove the programs that came in on my (indiscriminate) download even with my anti-virus software (which supposedly recognizes & warns against malware, but obviously didn’t in that situation). So maybe if you go through your files manually, you’ll be able to spot & delete some programs that were missed by MalwareBytes.

Reply to @celticmoon: Good questions, don’t worry. :slight_smile:

1. Firefox is an executable program - you cannot “go through the files” and manually remove things.

An interpretive program, yes, you could do that… (in theory).

2. Yes, Malwarebytes must be constantly updated - and mine is.

It still finds nothing.

3. The problem is minor enough, (and I’ve taken steps to block it automatically, anyways) - that it’s just not worth my time worrying about.

The next time I have one of my “National Security” buddies clean my computer (old friends, so they do it as a favour to me, while they’re cleaning all THEIR “top-secret” computers)…

…I’m sure one of their “Advanced-and-not-available-to-the-public”, malware cleaners will kill the bug! [LOL]

I’m always AMAZED at the stuff they find, that no publicly-available software can. :open_mouth:

Of course, they also are able to “dig deep” and find out things about you and your computer work, you never thought FBI/CIA/NSA-types could possibly know about you.

That’s why my PERSONAL computer is a separate machine, that I NEVER connect to the Internet.

:wink: :smiley:

Reply to @kjblynx: Thanks for trying to help - I do all that BASIC stuff to.

Plus, as I said above, all my anti-virus and anti-malware programs say I’m clean.

Since it seems people don’t read my replies above, I’ll just repeat it here for your convenience. :slight_smile:

The problem is minor enough, (and I’ve taken steps to block it automatically, anyways) - that it’s just not worth my time worrying about.

The next time I have one of my “National Security” buddies clean my computer (old friends, so they do it as a favour to me, while they’re cleaning all THEIR “top-secret” computers)…

…I’m sure one of their “Advanced-and-not-available-to-the-public”, malware cleaners will kill the bug! [LOL]

I’m always AMAZED at the stuff they find, that no publicly-available software can.

Of course, they also are able to “dig deep” and find out things about you and your computer work, you never thought FBI/CIA/NSA-types could possibly know about you.

That’s why my PERSONAL computer is a separate machine, that I NEVER connect to the Internet.

So I’m not really worried about this “problem” on my WORK machine… but I definitely appreciate your letting me know that you’ve NEVER seen this problem. It still helps to know that. :slight_smile: