Powerpoint virus?

petra105

Hey guys,

In the last 24 hours I got a few similar messages by clients from the same country. All they say is something like they like my work, they need a few illustrations for their website and they are sending me powerpoint file so I can see info for each illustration on slides.

So I downloaded one of these .ppt files and tried to open it and I got a message by Powerpoint saying it may contain malicious files so of course I closed it and deleted it. Right after that I contacted one of these clients asking if they can send me screenshots of .ppt file since I can’t open it. This person was online but didn’t reply what seemed little weird but okay. Some time after that I noticed that my antivirus program is deleted and I ran one other program and it showed I had around 10 trojan viruses which is super weird to me because I didn’t download anything in a long time except files that buyers send me.

Did anyone experience anything similar to this? I’m really weirded out by this since nothing similar ever happened to me

Yeah - there are increasing numbers of complaints about viruses from scammers.

Never open any document file that may contain executable files - docx, pptx etc. Ask for pdf version instead.

Don’t open zip files either, without checking them carefully.

You really need to be careful about buyers sending files … not all of them (buyers) are legit …

Yeah - there are increasing numbers of complaints about viruses from scammers.

Never open any document file that may contain executable files - docx, pptx etc. Ask for pdf version instead.

Don’t open zip files either, without checking them carefully.

You really need to be careful about buyers sending files … not all of them (buyers) are legit …

Thank you for info. I guess I was little too trusting since a lot of my previous clients used to send me word and powerpoint files and I never had any problems with it

Hey guys,

In the last 24 hours I got a few similar messages by clients from the same country. All they say is something like they like my work, they need a few illustrations for their website and they are sending me powerpoint file so I can see info for each illustration on slides.

So I downloaded one of these .ppt files and tried to open it and I got a message by Powerpoint saying it may contain malicious files so of course I closed it and deleted it. Right after that I contacted one of these clients asking if they can send me screenshots of .ppt file since I can’t open it. This person was online but didn’t reply what seemed little weird but okay. Some time after that I noticed that my antivirus program is deleted and I ran one other program and it showed I had around 10 trojan viruses which is super weird to me because I didn’t download anything in a long time except files that buyers send me.

Did anyone experience anything similar to this? I’m really weirded out by this since nothing similar ever happened to me

Well, this was already a massive red flag.

Tip: always Google usernames or entire suspicious messages, especially if they’ve ended in your spam folder. People like this always reuse usernames.

Archived