Fiverr Community Forum

Pro Sellers-Customer Service Is Important to Your Business

Hi all,

I’m a business coach, and consultant and I’m also a buyer on Fiverr.com. I want to provide helpful tips for Pro sellers and sellers who charge a lot for their services, specifically focusing on customer service and communication.

I contacted a Pro seller with a few questions about their services, and their response was terrible saying things like “read my profile,” and in their tone, they seemed slightly annoyed and bothered by my simple questions.

That seller lost my business and potentially hundreds of dollars because they refused to answer a few questions about their services, which wasn’t addressed on their profile. If I had purchased their services, and everything went well, I could have possibly become a repeat customer.

This isn’t the first time I’ve had this experience on this platform.

One of the downsides to using this platform is that many sellers treat their business as transactional. Now, exchanging money for services is transactional; however, you aren’t a cashier ringing out customers in your check-out line, you are the manager and owner of your business.

When I coach self-employed people, often they leave out very important aspects of their business - customer service and customer experience. That is what keeps customers coming back for more!

TIPS:

1. Questions and communication are a part of your sales process.
  2. Customer service in terms of writing tone and communication needs to be a part of your business DNA.
  3. People who ask questions ARE interested in buying your services.
  4. You are a BUSINESS operating on this platform, so think like a business owner, and the buyers are your customers.

“People who refuse to listen and take everything personally in business won’t grow.”

I wish you all much success!

16 Likes

It’s not that simple, specially in the Pro level.

First of all, losing hundreds of dollars is nothing. Money only starts mattering above a certain threshold. If you make over 1k in one order, a repeated customer that will bring you hundreds over an extended period is just not valuable. If your profile is making 500 bucks a month, a client that will get you $100 in orders every month is quite valuable. If you’re making 5000, not so much.

Second of all, " 1. People who ask questions ARE interested in buying your services." is absolutely not true. At least half the contacts I get are from tire kickers, people looking for work, people asking how I got to where I am, etc. These people are not interested in buying my services.

What you’re saying makes sense in most situations for most businesses. Fiverr is not that simple. If you set up shop selling rolexes in a slum, most people walking by will NOT be your clients, and wasting time on them is just that - wasting time.

Some leads are valuable even if you don’t close now. A lot of Fiverr leads are not valuable whatsoever, and just make you waste your time. A good seller will be able to distinguish the two quickly with a high degree of accuracy.

8 Likes

They are part of mine but not everyone feels the same. As a business coach, it is important to realize that different people operate in different ways and certain businesses are set up to operate in certain ways. If I have to answer 20 questions to get someone’s $10 order then I have lost money on that transaction.

That’s right but a customer is defined as someone who has bought something, not a window shopper.

Very often not the case. Very often it is people looking for solutions from a professional and then going to get someone cheap to follow those instructions. Similar to those who go and get advice in a retail store before going home and getting it for 10% less on Amazon. Knowledge thieves.

Fiverr is set up to be Browse - Buy - Receive for most orders so buyers need to read descriptions rather than wasting everyone’s time by asking basic questions which are answered in the gig.
e.g. I offer a proofreading service with a $10 minimum for 1000 words. I get questions saying
“Can you proofread my 1000 word document?”
I mean is it not clear enough that I can do that?

12 Likes

Very Informative tips.

1 Like

Thank you. I appreciate your response.

1 Like

What kind of questions you were asking for?

I do get a lot of questions like “what is the delivery time?” “What’s included in your gig” “what does png means” “what files will you deliver?”.
That kind of questions already explained in the gig and it kind of makes me wonder if person really read my gig and interested in ordering. In those cases I answer and attach a screenshot of my gig with all info highlighted that they asked.

However customer service is a bit different on fiverr. A lot of people charging low prices and answering and having a chat for 2 hours with a client on 15$ gig simply just doesn’t make any sense.

5 Likes

Precisely. On low value orders, it does not make financial sense to have a lengthy conversation, it eats into the bottom line. On higher value orders, it does make sense (I always insist on talking with clients prior to starting any order), but even then I must look into the buyer and know if it’s worth it or not. If their budget is completely outside our prices, for example, it’s just wasting both our times to be talking about anything else. If they clearly don’t know what they want, it’s not worth it.

1 Like

The questions I asked weren’t in her gig profile. Also, if you are charging $15 per order, then maybe you may see what I wrote as a waste of time. I beg to differ on that, however, If you are charging hundreds of dollars for your services or are a Pro seller, I am referencing you in my post. My tips can apply to any seller. Take what you want and leave the rest. :crazy_face:

1 Like

umm by the way. what were you looking for in that pro’s gig?

1 Like

Even then, let’s say I’m charging 500 for service A. That is for service A + some overhead - of 10 people contacting me about that service, maybe 5 will be actually interested, and of those maybe 2 will be a good fit for us. All the time I spend talking to those 10, must be baked into the price of the 2 that actually order. In a sense, people who order are paying for my time dealing with the people who don’t order.

What that means is that I need to either

a)cut the communication to people who end up not ordering to a minimum or
b)up the prices to the people who order by quite a bit so they compensate all the wasted time on people who talk and don’t order
c)set up a consultancy service where everyone will have to pay to even speak to me, even if they end up not ordering anything.

C) doesn’t work on Fiverr.

So pick either a or b, or a mix of both - It’s an optimisation process. For each minute I spend talking to leads that will not order, a client that actually orders is paying more. Otherwise I’m losing money. So, in a sense, good leads will have to pay more so that I can take my time to speak to bad leads for free. That doesn’t sound very fair from their perspective.

3 Likes

I updated my post to be more specific. I am referencing Pro and high dollar sellers on here. I coach high dollar clients who charge a hefty price for their services. If you are charging $10 for your services, you may be unable to see value in my post. Fiverr is a great platform and there are many great sellers on here.

1 Like

$10 was an example, I have other services that cost several hundred dollars. Price is all relative anyway. The gig price is what the services cost. It doesn’t include an hour of discussion and low-balling before in addition to the service.
I do engage with people who seem able to communicate their needs and have a question or two, that’s pretty obvious, but far more messages come which are not like that.

Take an SEO service for example. I get lots asking what I will actually do, really specifically. The positive thinker in me makes me think they are being careful with their money and looking to understand the process; the experienced Fiverr seller in me realises they want to know from a pro and buy from a guy.

4 Likes

I updated my post to be more specific. I am referencing high dollar sellers and Pro sellers.

I am discussing buyers who know exactly what they want and have questions about a service from a Pro seller and receive a poor response. I’m taking about high value gigs.

Thanks for commenting.

1 Like

I charge at least 10 times more than that :wink: as @eoinfinnegan said 10$ price is just an example.

No doubt we all need to have a great customer service and with some clients you just get an immediate “click” and chatting/answering their questions is not a problem.

However just an example: I recently turned down a client who was genuinely interested in my services and super excited about my style on one of my most expensive gigs. But the amount of questions and kind of questions person was asking made me waste a lot of my time and I just decided that it’s not worth for me. That it’ll cost me more to support her during the process than creating a good product for her. And that person seriously though that she was asking questions that wasn’t answered in my gig or asking me to explain each and single thing and how it works which is a bit ridiculous when the question is “how can I use business cards and what is the actual value and practical use of fb icon?” Of course this kind of questions not “explained in my gig” but I don’t even know how to answer those questions, it’s kind of common sense and can be googled.

4 Likes

I’m also referencing Pro and high dollar sellers, that’s the market I work in.

Let me put this differently - suppose you sell Ferraris. I know, I know, I’ve seen the videos on youtube of “pranks” with someone dressed like a hobo going in, getting turned down, and then going to a different dealership and buying the car outright with cash. The moral of the story is “don’t judge, yada yada, the seller that respects everyone equally comes out ahead”.

That’s BS. Absolute BS. As a seller, you need to vet clients. You may be wrong 1% of the time, but on average you’ll come out ahead in time not wasted. That’s the point.

When a buyer starts a conversation, regardless if with a Pro or not, the seller needs to assess the buyer and see if it’s worth it to pursue or not. Sometimes they’ll make a mistake, but this is a number’s game.

3 Likes

I’m sure there will be some clients/customers you will be unable to work with for whatever reason.

I am explicitly referencing buyers who know exactly what they want and have questions about a service from a Pro seller, and the seller delivers an inadequate response. Customer service and customer experience.

In your case, I view their question from a different perspective even though you saw it as a waste of time.

The buyer could have googled; however, she may have needed a bit of direction on how to use your deliverables.

I would have said business cards could be used for networking and other social events. It’s a great idea to pass out your business cards to potential clients and prospects. The FB icon is for branding and marketing your business on the social platform. The icon size is perfect for a profile pic or background image.

1 Like

I don’t really want to work with clients if I need to explain them what’s the purpose behind a business card. Also, you’re contradicting yourself in your last point - an image is either a good size for a profile pic or for a background image. Those are completely different use cases.

1 Like

Congratulations!
You have just gained a new friend who will turn to you for guidance on all little things they can’t be bothered to waste their own time checking up. There will be a multitude of questions, often repeated and if you don’t respond immediately, they will follow up with “are you there, I see you are online” and then shortly after “this is very bad customer service”. Meanwhile you are busy serving actual customers.
When you suggest that they order something or pay for your time, they will be shocked and appalled that you would ask that for one little question, no matter how many hours you have spent answering the previous ones.

Fiverr markets itself as Browse, Click, Buy. Those who want to Browse, discuss, chat, make friends, use people, not buy should stay away.

9 Likes

We can respectfully disagree. Every message from a buyer may not yield a sale and that is fine and understandable. I’m staying on topic and referring to specific situations.

I’ve been coaching self-employed people for years and have helped hundreds of people with their business. However, I do coach high dollar freelancers and consultants.

A quote from my mentor “People who refuse to listen and take everything personally in business won’t grow.”

I appreciate your comments.

1 Like

We are not disagreeing on that. That’s fine and understandable, and must be taken into account in pricing and the leads you choose to chase and entertain or not.

Basically it boils down to this - you don’t understand how high dollar sellers and Pro’s can seem annoyed at a client’s message. I understand it, since that’s a position I’m in frequently. You think that sending a client away with no further conversation is a bad business move. I don’t think so - it will depend.

All in all, can’t comment on the particular situation you faced without looking into the actual gig, your first message, etc. to see what makes sense. It may as well have been a pretty bad seller, business wise. But it also may have been a client that simply wasn’t worth it for them.

3 Likes