Fiverr Forum

Promote my GIG directly at my standalone website: yes or no?

Hi everyone,

I need your advice and expertise on this situation. I promote my GIGs at social media but not at my standalone website. I tried to separate Fiverr from my institutional website because someone told me that maybe that would make my website look less professional and I should let people contact me first and then tell them to order on Fiverr.

I would like to hear your thoughts about it. Give me your best advice about how to promote my services.

Thanks in advance.

4 Likes

Yes! Great idea. Just do a bunch of research to make sure you are doing it optimally.

3 Likes

I promote my Gigs on my website. I have a website about coloring for adults and I promote my coloring book marketing Gig in my featured artists section. In my blog section, I have an ad for my blog writing services. I can’t say whether or not they have made me successful, but I have not had negative feedback on them (I have had people complain about other ads placed such as Amazon Native).

2 Likes

Some thoughs on this…

If you market your gig on your website, you are losing out on 20% that Fiverr takes, on business you could get paid for directly.

but…

If you try to get the orders on your website without using Fiverr as a middle man, you lose the safety of Fiverr.

So… I’m not sure what you should do. On my voice-over website, I don’t market my Fiverr gig. I thought about doing it, but came to the conclusion that a client who will order my services from my website anyway, won’t see going through Fiverr as a benefit. The risk I take by not having Fiverr’s system to back me up, is acceptable, as I gather all the info about my clients during the order, and can make sure the payments come in as expected in most cases.

So in my opinion: if you have your own website, and accept payments and orders right there, why would you send them through Fiverr? It would basically make Fiverr the most expensive payment gateway in the world, costing you 20%.

The flipside to this is, more orders and reviews on Fiverr, will potentially lead to even more orders and reviews - a cycle that can bring you a lot more business on Fiverr itself. So you’re losing out on that boost when keeping your clients away from Fiverr.

Just some negativity to keep in mind when deciding how to market your gig.

3 Likes

That’s a good point. What evens out the 20% cut is the lack of hustling required to get orders, plus your order cost doesn’t cover marketing labor, time and resources. But if you aren’t getting orders or need to get more orders to improve your ratings or something, it can be very helpful.

I tend to have lags where I don’t get orders and then after one or two I get quite a few of them in quick succession. If you can help that process along, it can be helpful.

If you are going to do marketing you need to factor that into how you price your gigs.

1 Like

The thing is - if you already have a website, and you’re driving leads through the website, you have already done the job of marketing. If you have a payment processor set up on your website as well, that is taken care of at a cost of 1-3% instead of 20%.

With that being said, the safety you get with Fiverr as a seller is something your own, separate website can’t provide, unless you require the clients to pay up-front.

I agree on the lag - order - more orders-trend. I experience this myself. As I said, getting more orders, will most likely lead to more orders. If you’re ok with paying 20% of your revenue for that + the safety of Fiverr, then sure, you should market your Fiverr gig on your website. If you, like me, have the technical know-how needed to set up invoicing and payment processing directly on your website (or even using Fiverr’s own (and great!) app AND.CO - you won’t need Fiverr to handle orders that comes from your website.

2 Likes

Not quite. Yes, you don’t have to create a website, but even if you have set up a website, you have to do a lot of research and prep to know how to market something on your website. Marketing always requires research.

3 Likes

Another thing to take into consideration is your audience. Who are you marketing your services towards? If I’m marketing my VO services towards high-end clients on my website, I do not want them to see any Fiverr branding or links on my website. Why? Because Fiverr is Fiverr - and is considered among many professionals to offer cheap, low to mid-range quality (even though this is less true today than it was back in the day), the Fiverr branding/name can be a negative influence if your target audience is high-end.

The same can be said the other way around.

When it comes to marketing on your own website - this is very similar to marketing on Fiverr. You’re doing SEO in your gig description, creating videos to market your gig and services, putting together nice graphics to pull in leads, and sharing all that in social media. That isn’t very different from how you would market a website.

My point is: if you already have the lead on your website, then why would you send them to Fiverr? If the client is already on your website, and ready to click “Order Now!”, why would that button lead to a platform that charges 20%? It should lead to professional payment processor (if you charge up-front), or to a form for more information.

If you don’t have a website, or if your website have no leads, then why market your Fiverr gig there anyway?

I don’t see many benefits to marketing Fiverr gigs on websites where you can reach clients without it. Less is more.

What you should do, in my opinion, if you want to market your Fiverr gig, is set up a professional landing page, that is meant only to lead people to your Fiverr gig, and market that with PPC and social media campaigns.

There are good ways of doing this, if you want to market your gig and become successful on Fiverr. But in my opinion, your professional website should be separate from that.

3 Likes

I charge the same way for everyone and I don’t undercharge on Fiverr. I charge what I would charge elsewhere.

If you’re undercharging on Fiverr you need to change your business model. You don’t have to undercharge to offer an affordable service that people want and will buy.

2 Likes

I totally agree. And it’s so difficult to make a decision because of that. They are too many things to consider. I used to ask all my clients to order through Fiverr but since last week I’m testing my communication in a more creative way. I talk about Fiverr as one of the available payment possibilities, like pre-payment using credit card or Paypal and I let them decide, according with what they feel more confortable to do.

My question is: I can guarantee the payment from my clients because I only work with the pre-payment method (I had too many clients not paying me and I don’t want that anymore). But giving the Fiverr option helps me to pass an idea of a safe purchase and clients really like that. And that’s a guarantee that can prevent me from losing a sale, because people are contacting me at the very first time and they don’t know me.

By other hand, not mention Fiverr at my website make clients contact me first and we are at the age of fast decisions. People don’t like to wait for a reply. If I have my GIG at my website my clients can order immediately instead of sending a message and place an order with other freelance while waiting.

Do this make sense?

1 Like

Thank you. I charge exactly the same. My only question is if that would make my website more professional or not and how to manage sales. This question is not related with pricing at all.

1 Like

Another great point of view. Thank you. My website doesn’t have an automatic payment processor because people ask me so many different things (like, total number of words + commercial rights, etc) and in my country usually voice over artists don’t promote their prices at their website (I don’t know why and I don’t have anything against it). So, my clients don’t have the possibility to hire my services directly throught the website. They always have to contact me first and I’m losing sales. So, they are three things that I can do:

1. Publishing a product with a price per each 100 words, like I do on Fiverr and add a quick guide about how to make a purchase at my website (they would had to add two products at the cart - the number of words for the script + commercial rights or I would have to publish 3-5 different packages with all included):
  2. Embeed my GIG code and process everything through Fiverr;
  3. Givig the possibility to my clients to order directly through my website, but also giving the possibility to order through Fiverr.

Since you are at the same area of expertise, what would you thing that could be the best option?

Here’s another thing: you can get banned from Fiverr (everyone can), but if you can manage to get clients directly through your website, at least you won’t lose that.

2 Likes

I wasn’t talking to you about pricing. I was talking to someone else about it.

And if pricing for a gig you have on your website is an issue, anyway, you WILL look unprofessional on your website. These are not mutually exclusive things.

I’m sorry. I didn’t understood that it was not for me. But I don’t understand why you say that I will look unprofessional for pricing for a gig at my website. My question is not related with any price issue as I told before. Thank you.

I didn’t say anything about undercharging. I said I was marketing towards a different audience. If my website is my lead generator for TV-stations and Fortune 500 companies, I won’t be using that same channel to market my Fiverr gig, which is targeted at small to medium sized businesses for the most part.

My point is, you want to tailor your marketing strategy to your audience, and since Fiverr is where I get the bulk of my work from small and medium sized clients, I’ve chosen to use my website for the high-end clients.

These clients will often require a lot more than a medium business - and so, I charge more. They might require me to visit their professional recording studio, or listening in and directing during recording sessions, requiring several takes etc. So the type of work is different, and so the pricing is different. So is the marketing.

1 Like

Your approach makes sense. Unless you can set up a direct order system on your website, for example using Woocommerce. That would allow the buyer to order and pay directly on your website, and paying with credit cards or Paypal. That would offer them some protection as well.

But it’s all about finding that balance. If your website isn’t tailored into marketing towards a different audience than you have on Fiverr, and you’re willing to give up 20%, then sure, go for it! Fiverr is a great platform, and I love working on it, so there’s nothing wrong with taking your business to Fiverr, just as long as you have taken all the factors into consideration.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your help. People who contact me through my website is different from people who order through Fiverr. Usually I am contacted by voice agencies and studios through my website and on Fiverr I get orders from direct customers, small and medium company owners. Fiverr is a very important part of my business too. I guess I need to analyse everything carefully again. But, definately, I will have to improve my website and give other possibilities to my customers to make the sales process easier.

High-end companies won’t stick up your nose at you for working for small to medium business.

Yes, websites needs to be branded for certain audiences, but the fact that you do work on Fiverr for lower-value clients too shouldn’t deter people from seeking higher-end work. That would only be a deterrent if you were charging two audiences different things for the same value and deliverables.

Loads of companies work for high-end companies and SMB. It doesn’t make them any less attractive or less valuable.

“But I don’t understand why you say that I will look unprofessional for pricing for a gig at my website.”

I never, ever said that. You misinterpreted.