Proofread Your Gigs!

aingham69

I was going to put this in the ranting plot, but actually, it’s probably a good tip for all seller.

Before you let your gig go live, proofread it. If English isn’t your first language, it is really worth hiring someone to edit and proofread it for you. This is especially the case if you have a writing gig! I’ve seen people offer their writing services, but then find that their gig descriptions are full of grammatical errors, like using ‘there’ instead of ‘their’ or ‘your’ instead of ‘you’re’. These small mistakes will make a big impact on your sales, especially when selling writing services.

If you can’t be bothered putting the effort into your gig descriptions to make them error free, why would a buyer trust you to put the effort into making their order error free? Well thought out and correct English also makes it easier for people to read the gig description, so they are less likely to order in error.

Now, yes, we are all human and mistakes slip by. I’ll be the first to admit that mistakes have slipped by and it sometimes takes another person to check my work. If you do make a mistake and someone messages you in private to tell you, be courteous and actually take their advice or comments on-board. By all means discuss the right way of spelling something if you really believe that you’re right–it could be a difference between UK and US English that people aren’t aware of (just as an example)–but don’t assume they’re having a bad day or don’t know what they’re talking about. If someone is going to take the time to message you, it means that they want to see you do well and are trying to help.

When I see a thread here saying "I need help, I need sales,please give me advice"

in many cases their English has broken grammar. So, I usually leave a comment

telling them that they should ask another person to proofread/correct their

gig description. Personally I will avoid a seller who does not put in the

effort of getting their gig description in order to avoid communication problems.

Usually a while later I go back and check to see if they have made any changes,

and in many cases they haven’t.

I wonder why. I really, REALLY wonder why. :-/

zeus777 said: Usually a while later I go back and check to see if they have made any changes,

and in many cases they haven't.

I wonder why. I really, REALLY wonder why.

It doesn't make sense, really. I get really annoyed seeing poor grammar on Facebook, so it really annoys me when someone is trying to sell a gig. It's not just those with English as a second language though--and in some cases I've found ESL writers are better than some native speaks.

Archived