Provide FREE samples?

wordandrecord

Hey guys!
Do any of you provide free samples, short of full ?

Personally I NEVER provide free samples, and ALWAYS refer potential clients to our impressive portfolio to get an idea on their own.

I would love to know, do you guys ever do provide free stuff for a potential big/small client ?
Does it ever pay off ?

Normally, I don’t give any FREE samples. When buyers request for samples, I ask them to refer my live portfolio. There are certain incidents that I had to provide sample designs but I put watermarks on all the sample designs. However nothing went to waste as they liked the designs & placed the orders. 🙂

https://www.fiverr.com/academy/getting-started/4-things-to-do-before-you-create-a-gig

Know Your Value
Fiverr’s services start at $5.00. Although it can be tempting to offer promotions or discounts so that the orders will start rolling in, offering your work for free is not a recommended approach to connect with sellers. It is important to set your potential buyer’s expectation that your work can’t be obtained for free. It’s essential to know your worth as a seller and not to compromise it in order to attempt attracting buyers.

https://www.fiverr.com/academy/getting-started/4-things-to-do-before-you-create-a-gig

Know Your Value

Fiverr’s services start at $5.00. Although it can be tempting to offer promotions or discounts so that the orders will start rolling in, offering your work for free is not a recommended approach to connect with sellers. It is important to set your potential buyer’s expectation that your work can’t be obtained for free. It’s essential to know your worth as a seller and not to compromise it in order to attempt attracting buyers.

Totally true !

Most of the orders I deal with are in the $400+, and a sample can definitely close the sale quicker, however when dealing with these amounts, a sample can in fact take some time to make/create, hence why I only rely on my portfolio samples to convince the clients, which they always do ! Woohoo!

Dear Gal & Marianne:

If you search the forum posts, I believe Emmaki made some pithy remarks on this topic. There’s also a thread in which someone comments on how they appreciate a particular Buyer who was gracious enough to purchase a sample before their regular order.

Unfortunately, I didn’t save the links.

Hopefully Emmaki will be along shortly with a haiku to make the point succinctly.

In the meantime:

Only a jerk, a jerk
Will demand you give free work
Say no to this perk.

Good luck,
Blaise

Dear Gal & Marianne:

If you search the forum posts, I believe Emmaki made some pithy remarks on this topic. There’s also a thread in which someone comments on how they appreciate a particular Buyer who was gracious enough to purchase a sample before their regular order.

Unfortunately, I didn’t save the links.

Hopefully Emmaki will be along shortly with a haiku to make the point succinctly.

In the meantime:

Only a jerk, a jerk

Will demand you give free work

Say no to this perk.

Good luck,

Blaise

Would love to see the post !

Will be waiting patiently for our famous Emmaki 😛

Hey guys!

Do any of you provide free samples, short of full ?

Personally I NEVER provide free samples, and ALWAYS refer potential clients to our impressive portfolio to get an idea on their own.

I would love to know, do you guys ever do provide free stuff for a potential big/small client ?

Does it ever pay off ?

I would love to know, do you guys ever do provide free stuff for a potential big/small client ?Does it ever pay off ?

My gut says it all depends on where you are with a Fiverr track record. If you have a large enough body of work, no samples. If you are just getting started, then partial samples may make sense.

I provided samples the first few months, and today it’s very rare.

Exception: I have a very large client who inquired yesterday and asked about a free sample. I told them I’d do the equivalent of my basic gig free and if they wanted a larger sample, I’d do it for $5, even if it was a few gigs worth.

That said, they are a national brand, and I’ve known about the company for decades. They have tens of thousands of dollars of work IF I can close the sale. So far they haven’t inquired about a sample, but the offer is out there.

I’m sure they are auditioning a half dozen or so in my VO category, so I’ll make an exception for them. This is rare for me.

Otherwise, I send most to my SoundCloud demo page. If they aren’t happy/impressed with those samples, I’m don’t see the value in creating an additional sample for them.

I would love to know, do you guys ever do provide free stuff for a potential big/small client ?Does it ever pay off ?

My gut says it all depends on where you are with a Fiverr track record. If you have a large enough body of work, no samples. If you are just getting started, then partial samples may make sense.

I provided samples the first few months, and today it’s very rare.

Exception: I have a very large client who inquired yesterday and asked about a free sample. I told them I’d do the equivalent of my basic gig free and if they wanted a larger sample, I’d do it for $5, even if it was a few gigs worth.

That said, they are a national brand, and I’ve known about the company for decades. They have tens of thousands of dollars of work IF I can close the sale. So far they haven’t inquired about a sample, but the offer is out there.

I’m sure they are auditioning a half dozen or so in my VO category, so I’ll make an exception for them. This is rare for me.

Otherwise, I send most to my SoundCloud demo page. If they aren’t happy/impressed with those samples, I’m don’t see the value in creating an additional sample for them.

Damn, hope you get it !

Normally, I don’t give any FREE samples. When buyers request for samples, I ask them to refer my live portfolio. There are certain incidents that I had to provide sample designs but I put watermarks on all the sample designs. However nothing went to waste as they liked the designs & placed the orders. 🙂

There are certain incidents that I had to provide sample designs but I put watermarks on all the sample designs

Same here 😜.

Guest phantompower

I always provide a sample if anyone wants it, but the sample is the one I choose. I had a “buyer” who wanted me to transcribe 5 hours audio but just to show I can do the work, the guy wanted me to transcribe 10 minutes free. I was like. “Dear buyer thank you for showing interest in purchasing my service but what you are asking is IMPOSSIBRRRRRUUUUUUUU”

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I did This mistake right today, I found an *********** client who massage me said he wanted a free sample from me for video editing, Since I was new to fiver I thought that this could be the way for getting work so I agreed, It took hours to download his files, and another full hour for his task and then when I sent him his edited video he returned me disappointment, Am sure was edited video was not that bad be he exploited me, so Don’t do that mistake which I did

Mod Note: Country/region reference removed.

Archived