Question for Writers

writer99025

I have decided against sharing samples with prospective clients as it is a violation of client confidentiality. I suppose my 2350+ buyer reviews should be enough to get a feel for my work. I just can’t have a client complaining later about someone stealing their articles, so don’t want to take the risk. But I wonder if it’s the right move. How do you handle a situation when someone insists on a sample?

When someone asks for a sample, I send them one or two video scripts that I’m allowed to share. These scripts can’t be stolen, because they’re written to promote specific companies and their services, and I have asked for permission to share them (and got the said permission), so I’m not violating client confidentiality.

I have also written 3 book blurbs for imaginary books, and use them as a sample. The same can be done with articles, write a few and either post them on a portfolio site (one of the permitted URLs, of course), or simply send them to buyers when they ask for samples. Portfolio site would be better, because then they can’t just use these articles without being penalized for duplicate content.

Or, if you prefer, you can tell the buyers to look at your gig description to get a feel for your writing, and that you can’t share samples with them because of client confidentiality, just like you wouldn’t share the articles you write for them with anyone else.

When someone asks for a sample, I send them one or two video scripts that I’m allowed to share. These scripts can’t be stolen, because they’re written to promote specific companies and their services, and I have asked for permission to share them (and got the said permission), so I’m not violating client confidentiality.

I have also written 3 book blurbs for imaginary books, and use them as a sample. The same can be done with articles, write a few and either post them on a portfolio site (one of the permitted URLs, of course), or simply send them to buyers when they ask for samples. Portfolio site would be better, because then they can’t just use these articles without being penalized for duplicate content.

Or, if you prefer, you can tell the buyers to look at your gig description to get a feel for your writing, and that you can’t share samples with them because of client confidentiality, just like you wouldn’t share the articles you write for them with anyone else.

that you can’t share samples with them because of client confidentiality, just like you wouldn’t share the articles you write for them with anyone else.

That seems to be the best solution. If they don’t trust my 2350 reviews, then why order.

I got inboxed by someone who asked for ‘references’, told him sorry, I don´t provide any because I guarantee absolute confidentiality to my customers, I didn´t even make an effort to get the job, the contrary if anything, because I didn´t feel like discussing that, but I got the job anyway. Maybe some clients are just used to the ‘sample thing’, but when they hear someone doesn´t hand them out, suddenly get the idea that they might like someone who won´t hand theirs out either and rethink.
Some customers of course won´t mind if a seller uses the material ‘for advertising’, some might even like it, I guess it depends. Not giving any seems to work for me.

I got inboxed by someone who asked for ‘references’, told him sorry, I don´t provide any because I guarantee absolute confidentiality to my customers, I didn´t even make an effort to get the job, the contrary if anything, because I didn´t feel like discussing that, but I got the job anyway. Maybe some clients are just used to the ‘sample thing’, but when they hear someone doesn´t hand them out, suddenly get the idea that they might like someone who won´t hand theirs out either and rethink.

Some customers of course won´t mind if a seller uses the material ‘for advertising’, some might even like it, I guess it depends. Not giving any seems to work for me.

some might even like it

Especially if they get free advertising that way. 🙂

I have a .PDF file with varied samples. Some I had buyer permission to use and the rest I filled in by looking for holes.

I spent a few hours writing to show topics and styles that I excel in. It was tedious to make, but sending it promptly to those who’ve asked has netted me enough sales to cover the time. Works for me, so far! 🙂

I have a .PDF file with varied samples. Some I had buyer permission to use and the rest I filled in by looking for holes.

I spent a few hours writing to show topics and styles that I excel in. It was tedious to make, but sending it promptly to those who’ve asked has netted me enough sales to cover the time. Works for me, so far! 🙂

Seconded.

Making PDFs, converting to and from other file formats, and editing PDFs once they are made is one of the most tedious things to do. Word/PowerPoint are at least easily editable. PDF ensures consistency in displaying the formatting, in exchange for loss of quick editing potential.

I have decided against sharing samples with prospective clients as it is a violation of client confidentiality. I suppose my 2350+ buyer reviews should be enough to get a feel for my work. I just can’t have a client complaining later about someone stealing their articles, so don’t want to take the risk. But I wonder if it’s the right move. How do you handle a situation when someone insists on a sample?

a violation of client confidentiality

100% agree and I think you definitely made the right move!

Anything that I share with my sellers: pictures, articles, manuscript, eBook covers, etc. I want it to be kept confidential. I have no problem sharing on the seller’s profile after delivery, if it’s something that I do not deem private; but that should be my choice.

I realize there is very little secret when it comes to the internet and you will never know who will and who won’t. I make a point to be very careful on what I do and do not share.

** There could be that small chance someone asked you that as a test. The fact that you told them “no” is the reason they placed the order with you. **

I don’t share samples and I point towards my gig descriptions as an e.g. of my sales copy (which is 99% of my work) along with glowing reviews. If they don’t like it and start pulling out bad techniques like “I am interviewing x other sellers” when their gig is super urgent, I’m like “this isn’t my problem, this is yours” and point out that I’m writing perfectly naturally off the cuff so what’s the issue? Trust me, and trust 1700+ 5-star reviews. Or go to the guy who’s bending over backwards for your commission.

This may change in future as my outside projects develop. Then I’ll smack them with $$$ results and jack my prices up. Pretty simple. Obviously if they get mad and insult you and all the rest of it, it’s time to drop them. If they’re interested in you, they will come back. It’s just a case of arguing your case smartly.

One more tip–which I haven’t used myself, but I’ve seen another seller leverage it–is the “anyone can send you a glowing sample but how do you know it’s really their work?” and then twist the knife if you know they had a bad experience before.

I do have samples, but I can’t be bothered anymore, as the people who want samples also don’t make any effort to read the gig description, so just cough up, please. I’ll do the job and very well, but let’s not flim-flam.

A LOT of sellers offering writing services are NOT good writers. Their descriptions are great, but their actual writing is just…

Writing samples shows your style and your quality – more so than a conversation with the buyer, your reviews, or than your description ever will. Writing samples are important. Writing samples do not have to be things you’ve given to buyers, you can make some in your spare time. You can ask buyers before purchasing the gig whether they are okay or not with you using a snippet of the writing as a writing sample for future potential clients (and tell them that it’s okay if they say “no”).

Things that do NOT make up for not having writing samples:

• your description.
    This is you selling yourself, not a writing example. Buyers only generally skim through this. They don’t see it as a writing example. And it’s only ONE example. Many buyers like to see a few examples to prove that you’re not using other people’s work and that you haven’t just gotten this one piece edited.

• your reviews
    Yes, you have done a good job before. That’s great! But… how does this show your writing style or quality, at all? Yes, you’ve got happy customers… but maybe their standards are below what the current buyer wants?

• your conversation.
    Yes, you can talk with someone through text. Good on you! But this doesn’t prove that you can write quality articles/ebooks/essays/whatever. It just proves that you can speak English. Writing examples, as already mentioned, show your quality and your experience.

Of course, you can still definitely get work without having writing samples… but writing samples definitely do come in handy, and help you get more sales!

EDIT: People seem to be misinterpreting what I’ve said, so let me clarify. No, do not use your clients work without permission as a sample. What I’m saying is that if you’ve written something for yourself, by yourself, which is completely yours, you can use that as the writing sample. Writing samples doesn’t necessarily equal to the work you’ve done for clients, they’re just writing samples that YOU have done.

a violation of client confidentiality

100% agree and I think you definitely made the right move!

Anything that I share with my sellers: pictures, articles, manuscript, eBook covers, etc. I want it to be kept confidential. I have no problem sharing on the seller’s profile after delivery, if it’s something that I do not deem private; but that should be my choice.

I realize there is very little secret when it comes to the internet and you will never know who will and who won’t. I make a point to be very careful on what I do and do not share.

** There could be that small chance someone asked you that as a test. The fact that you told them “no” is the reason they placed the order with you. **

but that should be my choice.

This is the main point imho.

A LOT of sellers offering writing services are NOT good writers. Their descriptions are great, but their actual writing is just…

Writing samples shows your style and your quality – more so than a conversation with the buyer, your reviews, or than your description ever will. Writing samples are important. Writing samples do not have to be things you’ve given to buyers, you can make some in your spare time. You can ask buyers before purchasing the gig whether they are okay or not with you using a snippet of the writing as a writing sample for future potential clients (and tell them that it’s okay if they say “no”).

• your description.

This is you selling yourself, not a writing example. Buyers only generally skim through this. They don’t see it as a writing example. And it’s only ONE example. Many buyers like to see a few examples to prove that you’re not using other people’s work and that you haven’t just gotten this one piece edited.

• your reviews

Yes, you have done a good job before. That’s great! But… how does this show your writing style or quality, at all? Yes, you’ve got happy customers… but maybe their standards are below what the current buyer wants?

• your conversation.

Yes, you can talk with someone through text. Good on you! But this doesn’t prove that you can write quality articles/ebooks/essays/whatever. It just proves that you can speak English. Writing examples, as already mentioned, show your quality and your experience.

Of course, you can still definitely get work without having writing samples… but writing samples definitely do come in handy, and help you get more sales!

EDIT: People seem to be misinterpreting what I’ve said, so let me clarify. No, do not use your clients work without permission as a sample. What I’m saying is that if you’ve written something for yourself, by yourself, which is completely yours, you can use that as the writing sample. Writing samples doesn’t necessarily equal to the work you’ve done for clients, they’re just writing samples that YOU have done.

If you absolutely insist, you can pay me $30 for a customized 100 word sample.

Everybody’s happy!

If you absolutely insist, you can pay me $30 for a customized 100 word sample.

Everybody’s happy!

I’m sorry, emmaki, but I don’t quite understand what you mean? I was just stating my opinion on the matter and my opinion is that having writing samples to show clients (not customized – just writing samples; spare articles or writing snippets that you’ve done in your spare time and which wouldn’t see the light of day again otherwise) IS a good strategy to have, since it wholeheartedly proves that you can write in a various manner of styles.

Your strategy might work for you, but for me and several others, I’m happy to show them the door if they insist and won’t play the game my way.

After all, if it’s sales copy they’re looking for, they want to know its effective. Well, I say once again, look at my gigs–most of them have made thousands,if that’s not good enough for you (generalized you), then I don’t know what to tell you. Is that not as good as–if not miles better–than a sample that’s some snippet which wouldn’t otherwise see the light of day? If that’s not good enough for a buyer, the conversation’s over unless they purchase a customized sample. If they won’t do that, I understand that they are not serious. That’s fine.

A serious buyer with money to spend doesn’t care about how many styles I, or any other writer can create stuff in. They want copy that works and shifts the product, or sells the service. Whatever it is, it doesn’t matter. Ideally, they also want someone smart who can jump right to the crux of the point and nail it without any retakes–and that’s what my service offers. it’s reflected in my reviews. The conversational aspect isn’t really much, but some buyers have been burnt by “speaka da Inglii and write god!” sellers, so it counts. A writing sample might make you the odd $10 here and there, but I’d rather just wait for someone with cash to splash to come along and for me to intelligently discuss their project and win it that way. Better yet, they see it and just order the damn thing already.

If a client doesn’t understand my value preposition and starts whining about samples, I’m just gonna say “bye”. If I’m feeling mean, I’ll cheerfully warn them of the dangers of fake lifted samples from other sellers. Which does happen, as I said somewhere further upthread.

Besides, my only real samples are weird erotica books for Kindle. (lol)

Your strategy might work for you, but for me and several others, I’m happy to show them the door if they insist and won’t play the game my way.

After all, if it’s sales copy they’re looking for, they want to know its effective. Well, I say once again, look at my gigs–most of them have made thousands,if that’s not good enough for you (generalized you), then I don’t know what to tell you. Is that not as good as–if not miles better–than a sample that’s some snippet which wouldn’t otherwise see the light of day? If that’s not good enough for a buyer, the conversation’s over unless they purchase a customized sample. If they won’t do that, I understand that they are not serious. That’s fine.

A serious buyer with money to spend doesn’t care about how many styles I, or any other writer can create stuff in. They want copy that works and shifts the product, or sells the service. Whatever it is, it doesn’t matter. Ideally, they also want someone smart who can jump right to the crux of the point and nail it without any retakes–and that’s what my service offers. it’s reflected in my reviews. The conversational aspect isn’t really much, but some buyers have been burnt by “speaka da Inglii and write god!” sellers, so it counts. A writing sample might make you the odd $10 here and there, but I’d rather just wait for someone with cash to splash to come along and for me to intelligently discuss their project and win it that way. Better yet, they see it and just order the damn thing already.

If a client doesn’t understand my value preposition and starts whining about samples, I’m just gonna say “bye”. If I’m feeling mean, I’ll cheerfully warn them of the dangers of fake lifted samples from other sellers. Which does happen, as I said somewhere further upthread.

I agree that if someone is serious about hiring you they can just do it. You have enough great reviews and your gigs are so well written that it’s a no brainer to make the decision to hire you. You are long past the time when you needed to prove yourself to make a sale.

• your description.

• your reviews

• your conversation.

If the person I hire to proofread my 80,000 word thriller doesn’t have problem sharing samples with other buyers - I must admit, I do!

By law (at least in the U.S.A.) that is my property, no editors/proofers/beta readers/blurb writers/etc. have the right to distribute or even give a sample of it to anyone.

If anyone provides a sample to show -“Look what I did.” Before or after I put it up for sale is giving away a copy of my work. Neither I or any other writer/author would appreciate that.

Emmaki is a copywriter. Her gig descriptions are definitely examples of her writing (her selling herself, as you pointed out). Read all of them, and you’ve just got several writing examples.

Yes, but maybe some buyers don’t want to sift through a whole bunch of different pages? I don’t see why emmaki couldn’t just compile her gig descriptions into a Word Document? I’m not saying people have to, I’m just saying it could help make the buyer more acquainted for and appreciated. People like convenience. There’s no doubt about that, and that’s all I’m saying – make buying from you more convenient than buying from the next guy.

My initial reply to this thread was more so just generalized for writing in general, not specifically copy sales or anything of the like.

A serious buyer with money to spend doesn’t care about how many styles I, or any other writer can create stuff in.

Or maybe a serious buyer with money to spend is looking for someone with a specific style? You mentioned how some sellers steal samples, which is most likely true, but what’s that got to do with you providing a sample? You’re sample isn’t stolen, it’s yours, which can be seen clearly through the work that you send them after the order. All I’m saying is that every (fluent) writer writes differently with a different tone, and writing samples can help to distinguish you above the competition.

it’s reflected in my reviews. The conversational aspect isn’t really much, but some buyers have been burnt by “speaka da Inglii and write god!” sellers, so it counts.

They’ve been burnt by those “speaka da Inglii and write god!” sellers because those sellers had well-written gig descriptions and glowing reviews… but no writing samples. Maybe the buyer is just trying to make sure you’re not one of these?

If a client doesn’t understand my value preposition and starts whining about samples, I’m just gonna say “bye”.

And you’ve probably lost a whole lot of clients by doing this. Which is not a problem – it’s your choice. All I’m saying is that if you sat down for 10-15 minutes and compiled your gig descriptions (or, for others, just wrote a short story, a short article, or something) to make a ready-to-hand-out sample, you’d make more sales.

If you ask a professional writer who works outside of Fiverr, they’ll agree that having a writing sample is important. Which you may not agree with, which is fine. I’m not saying you have to. But there are plenty of articles written about why they ARE important.

As I said in an above reply, having a writing sample is convenient for the buyers, and everybody loves convenience. It helps you to stand out from the other sellers. It shows that you can write well beyond your gig description.

I’m happy to show them the door if they insist and won’t play the game my way.

Which is fine, as I’ve already said. But having a writing sample handy can help to improve sales. You’ve already made a lot of money and probably have plenty of orders right now. Which is great, for you. You can afford to play the game ignorantly and say “Well you should just trust that I, a complete stranger, will be able to send you great quality.”

But this question was asking whether or not he was burning himself and missing out on sales by not having writing samples. And he is. Some buyers won’t buy until they see a writing sample, and that’s the cold hard truth. Whether or not you want to work with those people, is a different matter.

I’ve had a couple of people ask for writing samples (I ghostwriter ebooks, so perhaps that’s the cause for a different point of view here?). I had writing samples ready. And guess what? They’ve paid me over $100, a $100 I wouldn’t have gotten if I had said “y on earth u need a writing sample? can’t u see my writing is good from gig description?”

Stubborness doesn’t help pay the bills.

If the person I hire to proofread my 80,000 word thriller doesn’t have problem sharing samples with other buyers - I must admit, I do!

By law (at least in the U.S.A.) that is my property, no editors/proofers/beta readers/blurb writers/etc. have the right to distribute or even give a sample of it to anyone.

If anyone provides a sample to show -“Look what I did.” Before or after I put it up for sale is giving away a copy of my work. Neither I or any other writer/author would appreciate that.

There seems to have been a misunderstanding about what I had meant, so I’ve clarified it in my original post.

Let me clarify. No, do not use your clients work without permission as a sample. What I’m saying is that if you’ve written something for yourself, by yourself, which is completely yours, you can use that as the writing sample. Writing samples doesn’t necessarily equal to the work you’ve done for clients, they’re just writing samples that YOU have done.

I’m a writer, not just because it helps pay the bills, but because I enjoy it. I write things for myself sometimes. And there’s no reason not to use these writings, which are mine, 100%, as a writing sample to show my skill set as an English-speaking writer.

Yes, I am coming at this more from a copywriting angle, and it permeates all of my gigs, as do most of my requests (“make this sell more”). That’s the convenience I offer. A word doc of gig descriptions is a dreadful idea! Some buyers are going to shriek about supreme laziness and not having other samples! Others are going to say “uh… OK” and the rest just didn’t read anything anyway because they wanted a sample.

It’s inconvenient for me, and it has virtually no payoff. My tone is versatile, but I don’t need to show it off. I specifically ask in many gigs, and the most common response is “you’re the expert” (in itself another nightmare).

The burnt buyers are why I mentioned conversational English in the inbox prior to buying a gig. Your Inglii chap simply won’t be able to keep it up. Combine this with actual expert knowledge and questions probing rather than convenient “yes, I can do this fast sir, very fast it will be perfect” and most people who are serious buy. Those that don’t–bye. Hell, I even have a questionnaire to sort the men out from the boys.

I have lost a lot of cheap clients by saying “bye”, but if you expect me to deliver $1,500 of work for $20 and give you a sample… lolno. Bye.

Finally, Fiverr is a cheap place. Those articles that mention having samples, I know the ones you mean. They’re correct. But these are typically attached to boutique writers who charge a premium. What might cost $5 on Fiverr could easily cost ten times as much elsewhere, and more. Most agencies and consultants and whatnot build this “sample” fee into their price, or use IRL samples with a glowing testimonial.

It is not convenient for the seller or the buyer to have samples. Besides, writer (OP) has maids and lives in a huge mansion and is only doing this for fun (EDIT: this is a little unfair, sorry writer), so whether he is burning himself IRL is simply one of his little fun rhetorical questions.

I don’t know what your prices are, but if you can write an ebook, you should be studying marketing and writing your own books (for Kindle or whatever) and making proper bank. You’re bending over backwards with convenience for exactly these people. Instead, you could enjoy a nice passive income stream with your words, be more picky about annoying buyers and ratchet up hits. hell, get successful enough and you can hire other ghostwriters. Even better, go pitch your samples to those people…

But for irritating buyers on Fiverr, it’s always best to show them the door. If a buyer won’t drop a few bucks on a sample…

Yes, I am coming at this more from a copywriting angle, and it permeates all of my gigs, as do most of my requests (“make this sell more”). That’s the convenience I offer. A word doc of gig descriptions is a dreadful idea! Some buyers are going to shriek about supreme laziness and not having other samples! Others are going to say “uh… OK” and the rest just didn’t read anything anyway because they wanted a sample.

It’s inconvenient for me, and it has virtually no payoff. My tone is versatile, but I don’t need to show it off. I specifically ask in many gigs, and the most common response is “you’re the expert” (in itself another nightmare).

The burnt buyers are why I mentioned conversational English in the inbox prior to buying a gig. Your Inglii chap simply won’t be able to keep it up. Combine this with actual expert knowledge and questions probing rather than convenient “yes, I can do this fast sir, very fast it will be perfect” and most people who are serious buy. Those that don’t–bye. Hell, I even have a questionnaire to sort the men out from the boys.

I have lost a lot of cheap clients by saying “bye”, but if you expect me to deliver $1,500 of work for $20 and give you a sample… lolno. Bye.

Finally, Fiverr is a cheap place. Those articles that mention having samples, I know the ones you mean. They’re correct. But these are typically attached to boutique writers who charge a premium. What might cost $5 on Fiverr could easily cost ten times as much elsewhere, and more. Most agencies and consultants and whatnot build this “sample” fee into their price, or use IRL samples with a glowing testimonial.

It is not convenient for the seller or the buyer to have samples. Besides, writer (OP) has maids and lives in a huge mansion and is only doing this for fun (EDIT: this is a little unfair, sorry writer), so whether he is burning himself IRL is simply one of his little fun rhetorical questions.

I don’t know what your prices are, but if you can write an ebook, you should be studying marketing and writing your own books (for Kindle or whatever) and making proper bank. You’re bending over backwards with convenience for exactly these people. Instead, you could enjoy a nice passive income stream with your words, be more picky about annoying buyers and ratchet up hits. hell, get successful enough and you can hire other ghostwriters. Even better, go pitch your samples to those people…

But for irritating buyers on Fiverr, it’s always best to show them the door. If a buyer won’t drop a few bucks on a sample…

I don’t bend over backwards at all. If they want an example of my work, I send them something that I haven’t finished and never will – something that I started writing just for the fun of it.

I ghostwrite short (5,000-10,000 word) ebooks for people, and I get the money now, without having to worry about marketing or anything of that sort. I do have my own ebooks for sale but I like to ghostwrite for people because a) I get the money now, without having to invest much time or effort (since I enjoy writing and it’s something I’m gifted at) and because b) it helps to teach me discipline. I can’t slack off, because I have a deadline. And I find this helps me to keep writing under the “job” column rather than the “hobby” column.

For me, this is how it usually goes:

1. The buyer gives a brief outline of their idea and asks for samples.
  2. I send writing samples.
  3. They are impressed and then pay for a customised sample (generally 2.000 to 5,000 words) which will be the first part of their book (or rewriting their attempt at it).
  4. Then I send them a custom offer of my quote for the rest of the book, and we proceed.

Overall, I suppose we’ll just have to agree to disagree (mostly because we’re both from very, very different writing niches with very different inner-workings). : )

Archived