Question - Should I Send the File?

goodgift

Hey all,

I recently received a request from someone that ordered a book trailer from me. This person asked for the project file so they could modify it as they wish in the future.

Not quite sure how I feel about this. I mean, I did create the video for this person, so on the one hand, I can see sending it. On the other hand, I’d have to send not just the base project, but all the smaller files that go in it, and those are the files that took up the bulk of my time and effort. (Plus I’d be giving away a couple of files that took quite a bit of time to acquire.)

I’ve only done it one other time, and it was for a client that had a huge order. She ended up modifying her project with someone else, and it felt like wasted time and effort on my part.

So I’m at a crossroads. What do you all think? Should I send the file to a client that requests it? How would I politely decline the request if I don’t?

Any thoughts are appreciated. 🙂

-Jaela

@goodgift

I do a variety of voice over and production projects. As you know a project can contain dozens of small individual files.

Make sure your gig clearly states that your service is a “fully produced project”.

If someone does ask for all the parts and pieces, you can politely decline or give it to them as you see fit.

Just say, “Thank you for allowing me to be a part of your project. However my gig is for a fully produced and ready to go file, and does not include the individual parts required to assemble and complete your project. If this is a must for you to have, I am open to discussion and willing to set a up a new Fiverr gig for that purpose.”

I asked a similar question a few days that didnt get answered here so i researched it for a while on google. I was looking for a simple answer but really there isn’t.

But basically the value of the master files can be worth more than the final piece depending on certain elements such as your experience, future earnings loss, and time to put the documentation together.

You’re right. That’s why it wasn’t sitting well with me when he asked. That’s my work he’s asking for, and the future earnings loss was the first thing I thought of.

I’m heading over in just a bit to add that Extra. I was hoping to find something to do with my other Extra. 🙂

Thank you for your input!

Archived