Question

A former client of mine contacted me on my personal website (outside of Fiverr). He said he does not want to deal with this platform because of some promotion-related misunderstandings between him and Fiverr. He wants me to do work directly for him. What should I do? Is this a TOS violation?

Reply to @mgjohn78: No, fiverr has a standard policy of not fighting disputes. The same applies with almost all selling platforms.

No matter what, I would still request the buyer work and order from you through Fiverr. They will provide you much more security this way. Fiverr’s Terms of Service is only able to protect you here on Fiverr.com.

So, for example, if you agree to work with this buyer and create an invoice on Paypal and they don’t like you work and file a dispute - you’re left handling it and not making any money from the work you did (verses Fiverr’s Support Team handling it all for you).

If there any issues between them and Fiverr - that’s on them. I would take it as a read flag however as they may have violated Fiverr’s Terms of Service. I would ask how they found you on Fiverr, so you can cover yourself in case Fiverr is concerned.

I would take all this into consideration and contact Fiverr Customer Service if you’re feeling unsure, give them the users name and see if they will discuss with you your concerns mentioned here.

thepromogirl said: So, for example, if you agree to work with this buyer and create an invoice on Paypal and they don't like you work and file a dispute - you're left handling it and not making any money from the work you did (verses Fiverr's Support Team handling it all for you).

Now i'm confused, i keep reading posts about fiverrs policy on paypal disputes and from what i read it would seem that fiverr isn't counter disputing on seller's behalf! So do they fight paypal disputes after all?

In my opinion it is not. Long as you didn’t provide the off-site contact info and they found you. If you referred them to your website at some point via fiverr, then it could be.

Best, just contact support and ask for a definitive answer.

Reply to @mrproofreading: Ok thanks!

Its too bad really but also understandable as it would be really difficult with so many parties involved!

Reply to @mgjohn78: Yep, it’s a poor policy from a selling point of view; however, realistically, I can’t see any other method working, especially for such low value transactions.

mgjohn78 said: i keep reading posts about fiverrs policy on paypal disputes and from what i read it would seem that fiverr isn't counter disputing on seller's behalf!

Fiverr is responsible for handling issues when it comes to a buyer violating their Terms (filing a dispute). I meant it in the way that if you work outside of Fiverr, they can't protect you. They will assist you in handling disputes (whether it be communication, refunds, etc.) ensuring that things remaining professional and courteous.

Let me provide a better example: You work with this individual outside of Fiverr - they don't like the work and file a dispute on PayPal. The money gets pulled back from your account. It will be on you to handle the issue, spending your time time to resolve it, sending PayPal proof of works, etc. (Remember time is money.) If it happens outside of Fiverr - you can't report their them to Customer Service and say they scammed you outside Fiverr. They can't and won't take action against them and their account.

Fiverr provides users a level of protection that they wouldn't get otherwise - it would be all of you to handle any own issues should they arise. If you got scammed and dealt with PayPal, you'd have to start by filing a police report against the individual with your local police department. The risk isn't worth the reward in my opinion. :)

Reply to @thepromogirl:

Well yes but in my case i have an umbrella company that handles my billing for work i do outside of fiverr and as part of their service i get protection from fraud. They just keep on billing for a while and if that don’t bring any result they automatically take legal action and their insurance will cover my salary.

With work i do completely on my own!

I can utilize my insurance for legal aid for work done on my own. With bigger debts there is also an option to kinda sell the debt and at least get some back to cover expenses etc.

With work done on platforms like fiverr all the above options are off the table. The key is always to do business on each platform with the risks and options in mind.

Atm nothing can really compete with the exposure fiverr provides so this does in my mind justify the risks.

mgjohn78 said: mgjohn78

Good to hear and good luck! :)

Support cleared this up. It’s against their TOS.

neurofunk said: Support cleared this up. It's against their TOS.

Care to provide a screenshot of this?

I'm just a little confused how a person finding you (not asking for your personal contact information or you providing to them here on Fiverr, which is a violation) outside of Fiverr is against their Terms of Service. Fiverr's Terms of Service does not state anything about ones own 'free will' outside of Fiverr.com, which is what the cause would be.

The only thing they do state in regards to outside communication is, "Fiverr does not provide protection for users who interact outside of the Fiverr platform or that are actively violating our Terms of Service" and "Any users who engage and communicate off of Fiverr will not be protected by our Terms of Service." which is the point I brought up.

Their own 'Limitation Liability' right in their Terms of Services makes it so they're not legally responsible for anything that may happens to any users that interact here on Fiverr or any other websites.

Here you go.

imgur: the simple image sharer

http://i.imgur.com