Questions regarding revisions

mrs_write

Hey! Since I’m a new seller, I’m still not completely sure how some things work, despite having searched for this info before I opened this thread. I have 3 questions regarding revisions:

1. What exactly can be considered a revision? Does it stand for an upgrade/modification of the original delivery, or is the buyer entitled to request that you do the task over again completely different? (even though you complied to all of his requirements).

I read an older response that you, as a seller, can decide what a “revision” means, but if I refuse to redo everything from scratch, wouldn’t that lead to a negative review?

1. If I - as a seller - got the order by sending a customized offer to the buyer through buyer requests and that offer included 1 free revision, is it enough that the buyer asks me via message to do the revision, or does he have to click on the free revision option in the offer in order for that revision request to be “official”?

2. After delivering on time and then having waited for 7 days for some feedback/rating/any kind of answer, the client just popped up now and said that what I delivered doesn’t fit him and asked for that free revision. During this 7 days period before his recent message, the order had been automatically marked as completed.
    My questions here are: if he still remains unsatisfied after the revision, can he request for a refund or cancel the already completed order? If the order has been marked completed automatically, can he still leave a review?

Sorry for the n00b questions, this is my first order and it would really help me to know how to handle this situation professionally while still having some safety measures. Thanks in advance for your answers!

Hey! Since I’m a new seller, I’m still not completely sure how some things work, despite having searched for this info before I opened this thread. I have 3 questions regarding revisions:

1. What exactly can be considered a revision? Does it stand for an upgrade/modification of the original delivery, or is the buyer entitled to request that you do the task over again completely different? (even though you complied to all of his requirements).

I read an older response that you, as a seller, can decide what a “revision” means, but if I refuse to redo everything from scratch, wouldn’t that lead to a negative review?

1. If I - as a seller - got the order by sending a customized offer to the buyer through buyer requests and that offer included 1 free revision, is it enough that the buyer asks me via message to do the revision, or does he have to click on the free revision option in the offer in order for that revision request to be “official”?

2. After delivering on time and then having waited for 7 days for some feedback/rating/any kind of answer, the client just popped up now and said that what I delivered doesn’t fit him and asked for that free revision. During this 7 days period before his recent message, the order had been automatically marked as completed.

My questions here are: if he still remains unsatisfied after the revision, can he request for a refund or cancel the already completed order? If the order has been marked completed automatically, can he still leave a review?

Sorry for the n00b questions, this is my first order and it would really help me to know how to handle this situation professionally while still having some safety measures. Thanks in advance for your answers!

What exactly can be considered a revision? Does it stand for an upgrade/modification of the original delivery, or is the buyer entitled to request that you do the task over again completely different? (even though you complied to all of his requirements).

It’s to revise the existing delivery changing according to their request. Really it’s all supposed to be within the bounds of what was specified in the order requirements. eg. if the original requirements were to “create a logo” the revisions could allow the buyer to change the colours of the logo or other things to do with it but to still only deliver the one logo if that was what was ordered.

If I - as a seller - got the order by sending a customized offer to the buyer through buyer requests and that offer included 1 free revision, is it enough that the buyer asks me via message to do the revision, or does he have to click on the free revision option in the offer in order for that revision request to be “official”?

If the order is in “delivered” mode the buyer should click on the revision option, eg. say “no” to “I’m happy with the delivery and want to complete” and then “I still need revisions” (or similar wording).

If the order has been completed but the buyer still has free revisions that they haven’t yet taken (eg. your offer/gig allowed more free revisions than they took), Fiverr will likely expect you to do that revision if they ask for it and deliver in the Fiverr inbox.

See:

Hey uk1000, here is a part of the answer I’ve received from CS: " After reviewing the order I would like to help you in the future to avoid other instances like this one. Our Terms of Service does not specify that once an order is completed after the 3 days do you not need to complete revisions. If you offer more than one revision you should stick by your word, especially if it’s in the 14 days holding period where the funds are pending in our system." I lowered the number of included revision…

Where Fiverr’s customer support said to that user:

… If you offer more than one revision you should stick by your word, especially if it’s in the 14 days holding period where the funds are pending in our system.

So given the above I assume it would be the same for if someone offers 1 revision and the buyer hasn’t taken any of the free revisions when they message you asking to revise it especially within 14 days of order completion.

Hi - and welcome

Awkward situation. Let’s take a look at this point by point.

1. You may like to add to your gig description something along the lines of “revisions are minor adjustments or mistakes. They do not include complete redesign.” That makes things very clear and aren’t anything CS can argue with. That’s for the future, though.

Unfortunately, some buyers can be scummy - they get you to do a design or whatever … and then come back with a new demand under the heading “revision” … but if you look at their site, they’re already using the design they said was unacceptable. Go check. Take a screenshot. Save it for use with CS.

1. Your buyer should ask for a revision on the order page. That way, you can then tell them they’ve used up their free revision and offer them a paid extra.

2. I think the revision thing is fixed. If you offer one, even if the gig has completed, you have to supply it. You could add to your description “all revisions offered are to be done before completion” or whatever.

Be firm, refuse to cancel, make him ask for the revision in the correct way … and never deliver through messaging.

@uk1000 & @coerdelion, thank you for your answers, much appreciated!

I am perfectly willing to do the 1 free revision my gig offers that hasn’t been used, but he basically asked me (via messaging) to redo my work from scratch. It’s not graphic design, but it’s something equally subjective - branding. In my initial delivery I followed all the requirements, and just now, 7 days after the delivery, he asked me to provide another batch of name suggestions, other than the first I sent.

I’ll keep in mind the revision procedure you explained, for the future. Still, in this particular case, since the order is already marked as completed (currently in the 14 days clearance period), can he still ask for the revision on the order page? Should I prompt him to do that? Or in this case I can make an exception and send the revision as a reply to his message?

@uk1000 & @coerdelion, thank you for your answers, much appreciated!

I am perfectly willing to do the 1 free revision my gig offers that hasn’t been used, but he basically asked me (via messaging) to redo my work from scratch. It’s not graphic design, but it’s something equally subjective - branding. In my initial delivery I followed all the requirements, and just now, 7 days after the delivery, he asked me to provide another batch of name suggestions, other than the first I sent.

I’ll keep in mind the revision procedure you explained, for the future. Still, in this particular case, since the order is already marked as completed (currently in the 14 days clearance period), can he still ask for the revision on the order page? Should I prompt him to do that? Or in this case I can make an exception and send the revision as a reply to his message?

Still, in this particular case, since the order is already marked as completed (currently in the 14 days clearance period), can he still ask for the revision on the order page?

No it’s not possible once an order’s status is “complete”.

Or in this case I can make an exception and send the revision as a reply to his message?

If you want to do the revision (Fiverr CS seems to think buyers who haven’t used all their free revisions can do so after completion, especially within 14 days of completion) sending the revision (or link to it with a Fiverr approved link) in the Fiverr messaging system seems the only allowed way once the order is in the “complete” status.

Archived