Racism exist even in Fiverr ?! [or Not...]

fidan06

Hi all,

First all me to explain the title better, and I deeply apologize if my english is not perfect!

I have finished around 700 orders and some of them are for Fitness Gym posters and the other are events or party flyers. Unfortunately, from all the whole orders that I have finished, 80% of people have asked me with nervous why I added white model (girl or fitness groups) while they are black. The other side is - I did one small experiment with one of my repeat customer and I added group of Fitness of black people, and they never say to change the people etc like black people do. I know this will sound crazy and maybe this post has been trashed because of exaggerated criticism, but believe me I am so sure that buyer (we) need to know and say that what is going on!
I wish Fiverr forum rules give me the rights to post print screens with username, but they won’t. I have too much proofs that you will be really surprise if we check the difference between white buyers and black buyers. Maybe the black buyers from today they will hate me, and I complete understand that. But also in the request modification they always request around 10-20 or one small part of these buyers request refund if I don’t delivery within 12-15 hour. Everything is explained to Fiverr support, and now I have in my gig description “Please read all my gig description” typed so all buyers who will not read my gig description for duration, prices etc I will not refund unless he is unhappy with me. This is not a tip or to offended buyers because we are here and we have success from buyers, I have a lot of respect for them, but in case someone else have this experience I would really love to know!

All the best,
Fidan

Just ask them if they have any ethnic preferences before making the poster. Everyone. Problem solved. Add it to your automatically question thing when someone places an order. If they don’t mention it, tell then that they should have specified when they were asked.

That won’t stop the people who read nothing and steam ahead and turn into monsters anyway, but hey ho, that’s life!

I think that asking Fiverr to change the forum rules so that you can attempt to evidence a presumption that black people are more racist than white people is just plain inciteful.

Long story short, this is exactly why these rules are in place. Please, just think about it over a cup of tea for a few minutes.

As for racism existing on Fiverr, I think that you would be hard pressed to find evidence of people actively prejudicing others because of race. However, differences between races do exist and acknowledging these isn’t in itself racist.

For instance, if your buyer was based in China or needed material for a Chinese gym etc, they would likely want a Chinese model. Would you think that was racist? My guess is probably not. In fact, @emmaki has expertly put a lid on this by advising you to ask your buyers to specify what ethnic groups they would like using in the first place.

I complete understand and you have right. I agree with you in all comment, but not in the end. My customers are from US so I was not talking about Chinese Kung fu or other things that we need to add image of Chinese of Kung Fu. I hope now it make sense more.

Plus, since you and I are part of the forum team and can reassure the OP on one count - the forum rules do not in any way prohibit telling the story or asking questions. Even a screen shot would be fine as long as the buyer’s name was eliminated.

That said, I think you are correct in your reply. I think the OP is confused about some things.

So, @fidan06, after reading your post and the comments I have to admit it’s going to be difficult to help you with your question. Your question isn’t difficult to answer, but I think it might need translation into your native language. I’m not sure and that is not an insult at all. I would use Google Translate but you can do that yourself so I’ll just try to write simply.

1.) Racism exists everywhere including on Fiverr. Often it’s only because people are afraid of what is different. Racism is different from what you are describing in your post. The word racism isn’t the correct word for what you have experienced.

2.) Your post seems to suggest 2 things. 1 thing you seem to suggest is that you have found that some black buyers treat you differently than white buyers. I don’t know if you mean black and white as example or literally.

You said: "if we check the difference between white buyers and black buyers. Maybe the black buyers from today they will hate me, and I complete understand that. But also in the request modification they always request around 10-20 or one small part of these buyers request refund if I don’t delivery within 12-15 hour.

My response: If you have seen blacks treat you differently from whites, I do not think it was because they are racist. Since Fiverr is global, skin color is a very broad concept. I have read thousands of posts and dealt with buyers and sellers myself. I have not seen cases where skin color alone was a problem.

3.) Your post seems to talk about something specific, not racism. Your post seems to really be about buyers who react when you include images of people of different skin colors or ethnic groups.

I think other people have said this part. Buyers choose the people in a drawing because they want people of a certain age, color, male/female to like it. It doesn’t matter why they choose it. That isn’t racism. That is marketing. As others said, ask your buyer what they want their drawing to look like including age, color, or gender. That should solve your problem.

Does that help at all?

I think he does have a point & the moderation team left the post here because of that. I just don’t think the word racism is the right word. Some buyers behave differently with people who live in one part of the world over another and that is a totally different subject. It’s different from skin color too.

The OP seems to mention some buyers who are a certain color and act a certain way, but that’s not racism either. Maybe you could call it stereotyping, I don’t know, but that’s yet another subject! I thought his final point was that some buyers didn’t like his drawings to include images of people that weren’t the right skin color for their project. That’s a valid topic for a seller to ask about so I tried to address it in a post to him, but I am not sure he can grasp it without excellent translation.

Thank you, actually I never used Google Translate because it translates with too many mistakes. Anyway, I complete understand and I agree with you. I should as them for the image, but since is for Fitness or Gym flyer, they insist do not put white models but just black, and as I said too many times, is not with just one order but almost 90% of the orders that I finished for fitness or events. If it was a Fashion African models etc… I complete would understand that we need to put one black model on it but if the fitness is for all, why they should insist to add african models otherwise they want refund ? And one more questions just for curious because I know that this is not your fault to ask you… ‘Why white people when order to me, even if I insert in flyer template black models they never say to change or blla blla just because they are black’ . Do you think that is coincidence ? Well not, because we are not talking for one order but for almost all orders that I have finished.
p.s I am honestly sorry if someone has offended, I know that people are not the same.

so as Emmaki and Cyaxrex already said, simply ask them if they have a preference before you make anything, that way the customer is happy - as they get what they want and it should eliminate change requests for something you are bothered about, so it is not an issue anymore…

You don’t need to worry about WHY they would prefer a black or white model - as really that doesn’t matter (unless you have an issue with it for some reason), you, as the flyer designer just need to know that they do prefer black or white models, so your client will be satisfied with their flyer and you aren’t wasting time making changes.

No one can know that except your buyers. I don’t know if any other seller with this problem. I don’t know where your buyers are from or what skin color they have and I don’t care or want to know.

Just give the buyers what they want and realize that it is not for you to know why. If you don’t like it, stop selling those gigs or put in your gig description that you only use your choice of skin colors in images.

Anything else about this is starting to look strange, as though perhaps there is an issue with racism and a seller.

Always ask them if they have any preferences, and clarify all details before having them order. That has been an issue of mine- I want to know everything before I do an order, and figure them out first. I have had people use all caps at me, and then wonder why I asked why they were upset. This will not only help with your gigs by decreasing stress on both parties, but it will help with your communication. Make them tell you exactly what they want- this way, they have no excuses. I hope this helps!

OP, your post has received many comments. I’ll summarize in my words, so any misinterpretations are mine and I apologize in advance if I’ve misunderstood anyone. The consensus overall might be summarized with:

»It isn’t reasonable to make assumptions based on whether or not a buyer/seller has a tan.

»Some buyers are difficult, regardless of their tan or lack thereof.

»As a business owner (seller) on Fiverr you may be curious, but several people have advised you to just do as the buyer wishes. So far, no one else seems to have a concern about buyers preferences for something as random as a color.

The post is now closed since it cannot be watched all the time and this is a sensitive topic the way you stated it. Good luck.

Archived