Real or fake promo video?

abauer5188

Hey guys,

I’ve been a seller for a little over 6 months now and I’ve made some decent money and earned level 2 seller.

I knew that our culture has become video-centric, so when I created my first few gigs, I just sat in front of my webcam and spoke about my gig. It seemed real, authentic and raw. But I’m not so sure it is getting the conversions I’d like.

I was going to ask the community here, what have you been successful with? Real authentic videos with yourself and your voice? Or “fake” videos with text overlay and images?

I’m looking to increase my footprint here on Fiverr and would like to hear some feedback from some respected professionals of Fiverr. 🙂

Thanks!

Guest joshcates

You seem to be doing very well for yourself on Fiverr; congratulations!

Though it is valiant to take a video of yourself, an amateur video might(???) turn off some potential buyers, as they can wrongfully associate the amateur video with amateur service (which judging by your great reviews, is anything but).

It can be hard to express IT-oriented concepts as an advertisement in a video, but you might consider a professional voiceover (or audio editor for cleanup, if you want to record your own voice!) atop a video explaining what you do in order to wow more potential buyers.

Take what I say with a grain of salt! I’m less experienced than you are.

Cheers!

You seem to be doing very well for yourself on Fiverr; congratulations!

Though it is valiant to take a video of yourself, an amateur video might(???) turn off some potential buyers, as they can wrongfully associate the amateur video with amateur service (which judging by your great reviews, is anything but).

It can be hard to express IT-oriented concepts as an advertisement in a video, but you might consider a professional voiceover (or audio editor for cleanup, if you want to record your own voice!) atop a video explaining what you do in order to wow more potential buyers.

Take what I say with a grain of salt! I’m less experienced than you are.

Cheers!

an amateur video might(???) turn off some potential buyers, as they can wrongfully associate the amateur video with amateur service

That’s exactly why I was thinking of re-doing them.

Guest joshcates

an amateur video might(???) turn off some potential buyers, as they can wrongfully associate the amateur video with amateur service

I do voiceovers; I had a similar situation happen where, even though I traditionally do audiobook narration (which doesn’t require music), people were getting the idea that because my samples didn’t have music in them that they were lesser than samples that do. It’s crazy! They’re just going to add the music in themselves later when I deliver the project! Ahh! It’s all about image, and clearly the work you do is good–sometimes you just gotta hook clients to sink them. If you can message me one of your video files I’ll see if I can clean it up–it won’t cost anything at all! I can’t guarantee it’ll come out crystal clear, but I can try.

I knew that our culture has become video-centric, so when I created my first few gigs, I just sat in front of my webcam and spoke about my gig. It seemed real, authentic and raw. But I’m not so sure it is getting the conversions I’d like.

I was going to ask the community here, what have you been successful with? Real authentic videos with yourself and your voice? Or “fake” videos with text overlay and images?

It probably depends on the type of gig. If the gig is for a “Kinetic Typography” video it would be best with text etc. so the viewer could see roughly what they’ll get in a delivered video. It’s similar with other gigs where the end product is a video - it will help if they can see in the video roughly what things are/can be delivered in the video (though the delivered gallery will help a lot there).

You don’t have to go with either the “text overlay and images” or “the person talking to camera”. You could have both in the same video (or have a video background too - not just still images).

The person talking to the camera can help in gigs for being “real, authentic” and helping with trust (though I suppose a real profile image could also do a similar thing), which can be helpful for gigs that involve working on their websites etc. If having a real (person talking to camera) video, which could also incorporate text/images, slightly different lighting might help (where it isn’t shining into the camera as much). Maybe it helps how confidently the text is read too. So it really depends on the type of gig I think, and may help how professionally it’s done etc. (keeping it trustworthy/honest and not like some ad videos).

Archived