Reasons for linking to your Fiverr gigs/profile - UPYOUR

eoinfinnegan

This post is part of my UPYOUR series based on This Poll and aims to help sellers to deal with issues related to the following four parts of the poll:
I have got at least one order from a client I brought to Fiverr myself - 11%
I tell people I know that I work on Fiverr - 17%
Fiverr is not advertising enough - 13%
Fiverr is collapsing due to bad publicity etc - 8%

There is always a lot of debate about whether to send clients you meet elsewhere to your Fiverr profile. The clients I am speaking about are those you may have got through your own website, social media or elsewhere. Very often, the debate revolves around the idea:

Why should I pay Fiverr 20% for clients I got myself?

It is a valid question and one which you need to answer for yourself but I want to draw your attention to some potential answers to that question.
Furthermore, I want to encourage people to talk about Fiverr among friends, colleagues etc.

The above parts of the poll show that it seems like a surprisingly small percentage of people have brought people to Fiverr or even tell people that they work on here. At the same time, we see a constant stream of people talking about not having orders etc. I am a firm believer in relying on myself and not this or any other platform to do everything for me. You see, I can control what I do but I cannot control what these platforms do. However, by understanding how the platforms work, or making a good guess at it, I can affect how these platforms work for me.

Firstly, let’s go over what we know that is relevant to this subject.

• Fiverr wants and encourages us to bring people to the platform.

That is it - there is no real explanation or verifiable info that says bringing clients to the platform in itself will help with sales or search position here. Hmmm. What other info could be relevant to this subject?
I have a few theories and beliefs that may be relevant.

Please note that I base a lot of what I say on the premise that Fiverr is relatively smart, has people who monitor stats and behavior on the site, and acts in a way that is to maximize its income.

With my assumptions in mind, there is some other relevant stuff that is not verified by Fiverr but I believe should be included in your decision on whether to bring your clients to Fiverr.

• If Fiverr values your conversion rate in ranking. Conversion rate is based on the number of orders you receive vs. the number of gig clicks you receive. It seems like repeat orders from the same buyer ARE calculated in conversion rate. eg. a buyer clicks your gig from search and places two orders = a 200% conversion rate (I have seen this happen in my gig stats). It is then safe to assume that someone landing on your gig from a link on Social Media or elsewhere is also included. This means that by bringing a client to your gig, your conversion rate goes up and therefore, in theory, your gig’s ranking goes up.
  • If positive reviews are valued in ranking. A client you bring to the site yourself is more likely to leave a positive review. Aside from that, another positive review is good anyway.
  • Extreme Speculation: If I was Fiverr, I would set up the algorithm to assess the volume and quality of traffic that links bring to the site and who they are linking to. I would boost those who bring sales from other sites and social media. Assuming Fiverr thinks like I do, this is another reason to link to your profile. It is worth noting that one of the options in the Gig Stats section is Social Gig Views, so they are monitoring those - ever wonder why?

So these are my reasons for linking to your gig that could have a beneficial effect for you.

Next let’s look at the idea of telling people you work on Fiverr.
If we believe Fiverr is not advertising enough or is suffering from bad publicity, what better way to affect change than to tell people you know that you work here? You may get some negative responses but the very fact that you work here (assuming you are good at what you do), may be enough to get them to have a look at the site. It will certainly make them think twice if all they have heard previously is negativity.
They probably won’t buy from you on the site (unless you insist because of the reasons above), but they may buy from someone else. (Cliche Alert:) If more than 17% of us did this and brought even just one person to the site, how many potential new buyers would that bring? Answer: Lots. (Potential for new sellers too though!)

Finally, I still have no idea what “Community Leadership” is but I can’t help but believe that bringing new people to the site is seen as just that. If you are active on other forums, sites, blogs etc and are actively promoting Fiverr in a positive way (not spamming) then surely that can be seen as community leadership and we all know what that means.

In the event that you stop working with Fiverr for whatever reason, it will be extremely useful to be able to change the links to your profile/gigs that you have posted. It is worth keeping track of them so that if you need to, you can do so.

Once again, please note that a lot of this particular post is speculation based on my own opinions, you should make up your own mind on these things.

This post is one of a series of posts I am doing which are aimed at helping sellers to Up Their Game and begin to earn more from their work, gain new clients and make the most of being a freelancer. The posts will be based on This Poll which is still open so if you haven’t made your voice heard, please do so as the more that vote on an issue in that poll, the more likely I am to post about that issue.
To see all posts in the series, Click Here

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived