Fiverr Community Forum

Rejecting a buyer I don't want to work with

I generally am willing to work with just about any buyer. I don’t get enough orders to have to turn anyone away!

I just found a buyer I did not particularly like working for-- they were just slightly rude and a bit demanding, asking me to do things that aren’t included in the gig, and then ridiculing me about something that’s a matter of taste rather than asking me to change it in a professional way.

Not my cup of tea, as you might guess.

They mentioned possibly making this a reoccurring project if it worked out. They seemed to like the product itself overall, but after not being given the time-consuming extras they requested after the delivery, I sort of doubt they will order again.

On the off-chance they do decide to order again, does anyone have any suggestion on rejection? I do not want to deal with this kind of attitude week after week, so I already know I’ll cancel the order. Any tips on how to do this with tact?

7 Likes

You can let them know your price for what they ordered has increased a lot or doubled.
If they order without contacting you open a dispute and tell them that and let them cancel.
Tell them it was much more work than you had anticipated. And in a sense that’s true.

6 Likes

Just send them a honest message stating that you feel that you and them are not a good match. Say that you are sure that they will find another seller to their liking. This is how I handle it when I don’t want to work with somebody.

7 Likes

If I did that it would lead to many distraught messages from the buyer demanding an explanation, then arguing with me, then pleading with me.

2 Likes

I usually ask such buyers to request a custom order so that I can add the “douche tax”. If that doesn’t work then I simply say that we’re not a good match just like Mario explained above. Although I’ve had only 1 customer like that so it might backfire if you do it often :stuck_out_tongue:

However, you can’t piss them off because they can still change their review, but you can say something like “You requested services that don’t fall under my expertise and I was struggling to meet your requirements. So maybe it would be better if you find a seller who has the skills to accommodate your requests”.

Instead of blaming the customer you can explain that you’re not the best fit for them :wink:

7 Likes

Well, This has happened to me for a quite long time. Some buyers are really demanding and rude. After all of this time working on Fiverr I´m very gratefull that almost the 90 percent of people I´ve worked with are really nice buyers, great people to work with…

But sometimes, there´re like a dark area where the bad buyers live… They think that We´re their slaves for 5$ and they talk to you super rude.

In these cases, I just block them if they´re persistent of really rude. If they want to work with me anyways, I just let them know that im not currently “Avalaible” and I wont be ready for his/her job. :wink:

1 Like

What would proof your point that you both are not a good match.:grin:

3 Likes

Yes, we as a seller must provide quality customer service. But if the buyer is rude and you feel not comfortable to work with, as a seller you have the right to not take up their job, even order placed. This is why a dispute button comes in. Just politely explain to them why you cancel the order and move on. I even got a buyer using the “F” words when I explained to him I cannot do this and that based on his requirements. I mean, won’t it be nice that I told him what I not able to, instead after he placed the order?
OP, don’t worry about this particular buyer, if you stay long enough, there are many, in fact more than 95% of the buyers are polite and fun to work with :slight_smile:

2 Likes

But they’d keep arguing anyway, because she’s the only one who can help them or whatever. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

I believe the default auto responses have an “I’m sorry, I can’t do this job for you” message.

2 Likes

They still demand an explanation and argue and get upset. The only way they don’t is if the price is too high.

Threaten them to cast a negative spell on them if they don’t stop messaging you, lol.
Say you turn into Voldemort.

6 Likes

And get reported to CS for threatening them?

3 Likes

Well, perhaps it’s just a poor first impression? A few of my regular buyers that I’m actually very happy to be working with still came off as very brash and unpleasant when I first worked with them. I ignored it and remained professional, so now I have some great clients that I can almost always depend on for 2+ orders per week!

Just say, “Hi, I noticed last time I was unable to meet your expectations and you only left a *** review.
As I haven’t changed the process in any way I’d just like to clarify, did you book this gig by mistake?”

I remember a rude spellcaster who did that according to reports I got from buyers and she is no longer on fiverr.

1 Like

Thanks for all the great responses! Fortunately, this buyer is not as rude as some of the people you guys have had to deal with. Yikes.

Turns out they do want to keep buying (oh joy), but they still seem to expect that I’m going to do a bunch of extra formatting, linking, and even posting on their site for no extra charge.

I think I’m going to try raising the price a lot. Hopefully they’ll say its too much and go elsewhere.

If they buy… I guess I can deal with it as long as I’m getting paid enough for the time I have to spend with all the extra add-ons and nitpicking and such, right?

This will work probably. Make sure you raise it to a point that you can do all the extra work if you have to if they accept it. You can nicely say that since this requires lots of extra work such as (put all the things they want you to do that were not included) you had to raise the price to stay in line with what they require.

4 Likes

I currently have 14 cancelled orders and they were all orders from people who thought they could buy my soul with a $5 gig :smirk:

I don’t expect that everyone will love and accept the first design, but I do expect that my clients treat me with respect and respond constructive criticism. Even though I might have wasted time on an order I don’t intend to finish, I keep my dignity and sanity in tact lol.

In regards to your question though, I would wait until they commit to another order to address it. I’ve had a lot of customers say “if this works out there will be more!” and the ones where there’s been similar instances like yours, they haven’t returned. So you might just get lucky and you’ll part ways after this! If not, I would cancel the order and say that you don’t think this is a compatible working relationship. No further explanation necessary and no bad review to worry about lol.

3 Likes

I cannot do your order, hope you find the right person to do this job for you. Thank you!
And submit

1 Like