Require 15 minutes read time to post

the_mad_duck

How so? I would say that making new posters take 15 minutes to read would allow them to make a better structured and more relevant post.

I do see what you mean but not everyone fails to create well structured or relevant posts. So if there was a time sensitive issue it may deter people from using the forum which is here to help. 🙂

I do see what you mean but not everyone fails to create well structured or relevant posts. So if there was a time sensitive issue it may deter people from using the forum which is here to help. 🙂

The issue here is that a large majority of new users do. A required 15 minute read time would force new users to go and read popular posts in the Tips for Sellers section, and as a result we would see a much lower number of spam posts simply asking “fix my gig please!!!” Stack Overflow does the same thing with its users, simply denying them from even commenting until they have adequate reputation. As a result, a lot of little kids who want their first coding assignment fixed for them are removed from the bunch. It’s mostly a proposal for quality control.

I would like to propose that new forum accounts should be required to read for 15 minutes before they post. Far too often we get a post that says “give me tips” when there’s a whole section called Tips for Sellers. This surely can’t be too hard to do, can it?

I would like to propose that new forum accounts should be required to read for 15 minutes before they post. Far too often we get a post that says “give me tips” when there’s a whole section called Tips for Sellers.

Those people would open a bunch of topics, go and do something else, return after 15 minutes, and then post the usual gimme gimme gimme.

I would like to propose that new forum accounts should be required to read for 15 minutes before they post. Far too often we get a post that says “give me tips” when there’s a whole section called Tips for Sellers.

Those people would open a bunch of topics, go and do something else, return after 15 minutes, and then post the usual gimme gimme gimme.

True, but that leads to another proposal: Keep the tab open while “reading” to ensure read time is actual reading.

True…

Perhaps log the read time by making sure they scroll down regularly?

I’m sure they’d find a way to circumvent that, too. Or they’d read, and then still post whatever they wanted to post, because what they’ve read is not what they want to hear. Just like people ask a question and then argue with whoever tells them something that they don’t want to hear.

I’m sure they’d find a way to circumvent that, too. Or they’d read, and then still post whatever they wanted to post, because what they’ve read is not what they want to hear. Just like people ask a question and then argue with whoever tells them something that they don’t want to hear.

It seems that nobody would circumvent a measure that far. These are just naieve users, not trolls.

It seems that nobody would circumvent a measure that far. These are just naieve users, not trolls.

They’re not trolls, I agree. But they’re desperate to earn money, they’re uncomfortable in a completely new environment, they’re overwhelmed, and they’re looking for a quick and simple solution.

Plus there are those who have heard from a “Fiverr guru” that forum participation will bring them sales, and they use bots for that (all those vague and unrelated comments). They could read those 15 minutes, and then let the bots do their posting work.

They’re not trolls, I agree. But they’re desperate to earn money, they’re uncomfortable in a completely new environment, they’re overwhelmed, and they’re looking for a quick and simple solution.

Plus there are those who have heard from a “Fiverr guru” that forum participation will bring them sales, and they use bots for that (all those vague and unrelated comments). They could read those 15 minutes, and then let the bots do their posting work.

Yeesh, you have way too high expectations of these clowns. Nobody’s gonna make a bot for a Fiverr forum!

Yeesh, you have way too high expectations of these clowns. Nobody’s gonna make a bot for a Fiverr forum!

Nobody’s gonna make a bot for a Fiverr forum!

That’s exactly what I thought, too, but then a few users (who apparently know about bots more than I do) mentioned that a bunch of posts do look like bot posting.

I suggested something like this a month or so ago.

I would also add that the read-time would require reading of the ToS and Community Guidelines before posting to the Forum is unlocked.

Or something that shows those things were completed before posting.

• 7 months later...

Where can I find this Fiber forum? Sounds like a cool place to discuss Fiber. I only know of a Flubber forum, but that's not the same one, right? 

Jokes aside. 

New users gets to post only a few times a day. As you level up in the forum (and this level has nothing to do with your Fiverr seller level!) you get access to posting more. 

You can read more about it here: 

Archived