Fiverr Community Forum

Respect yourself (as a seller)

It’s a webnovel (I do think fiverr put my BR in the wrong category haha) it’s more for teens and up (has some pretty messy topics in it but it’s pretty standard when it comes to webnovels). I’d really appreicate that!

1 Like

My daughter (16) is talented beyond this Earth and I want her to share her artwork. I have skills and talent, but she is on another level. In my vector tracing GIG I used her artwork to display vectorization process.
I want her to join Fiverr but at the same time I do not want her to be exposed to this madness of Fiverr.

1 Like

I totally agree with you!! Sellers need to understand their worth!

I recently posted a request for a logo, and, oh my, it was chaos! The worst thing was that people were directly sending me messages, so when I didn’t quickly respond to them, it brought my response rate down. Half the offers I received were copy and paste, some were offering free services, and some addressed me as “sir”. And I think I even saw one offer that wanted me to make a logo for them🤔

5 Likes

Just the amount of unsolicited offers I get through my seller account message inbox alone is staggering. There is a huge, ever-churning pit of eager new sellers - particularly overseas - that either don’t know or don’t care to differentiate themselves beyond sheer desperation.

I’ve had to start Copyscaping my damn gig text and bio weekly because it gets stolen so often, and at least an hour every week is spent reporting people that either lifted my bio word-for-word, copied my gig text, or are trying to pass off my examples as their own. It’s frustrating, and I’m not even posting buyer requests - Fiverr really needs more robust filtering/controls for this kind of thing, because I have to imagine it’s having a big, negative impact on any buyers that are brave enough to post a BR.

1 Like

Oh wow her artwork is fantastic from what I saw there!
On the other hand I don’t think I’d let my child (not that I have any) onto fiverr until… some things get sorted. It’s a great website in its essence but… I worry teens might end up being exploited. (I’d definitely order her work if she was a seller here, but it’d be definitely hard to keep the ‘interesting’ people away.)

Goodness! Part of me is glad I’m not the fool who maybe posted wrong / doesn’t know where to search etc. but… yeah that sounds pretty crazy! Did you find at least one or two decent logo artists?
(free services irk me. just how and why…?)

1 Like

That’s insane! I haven’t tried anything (to be fair my ‘main’ gig isn’t such a popular thing so far) but seeing this is just… wow.
Honestly I’ve heard weirds stories from BR but I thought that it’s less… like this I guess? Maybe I was convinced it was exaggerated haha. I feel like many buyers might end up running away from fiverr itself. The idea of BRs are great, helps people who might not know where to start or want something specific but when it’s so chaotic I don’t think it helps anyone.

Thank you. I keep telling her she should pursuit that as career, but she is at that age I say Moon is white and I have to be careful not to say it in a wrong way. I do not want to be one of those “parent who pushed you to play piano or violin” so I am just standing aside and whenever there is a chance to score an artwork (for B-day, holidays, mothers day), all I ask is for her to draw me something. I just got my NY drawing and I am like mesmerized.

Just to be safe I am not just a mother with pink glasses I sent her artwork to one of my friends who was famous designer before but decided to remove himself from social media presence.

He was shocked and told me she IS truly talented, it is not just me.

But me as Level 2 seller, I can help her set up GIG and everything, but as you said,

This is a reason why I think not to disclose her age in her profile. I mean, nothing in Fiverr stipulates that we must say how “young” are we.

1 Like

So, you wanted to start 2021 with migraine? :smiley:

Yes. this is standard in logo BR, skip the offer, go directly in inbox.

Not to be silly here since I am offering logo design, but why don’t you do what they (some of them) are doing anyway, go on online logo makers and try to come up with something nice, then turn it into a vector, or hire someone to vectorized it an put in the format for social media presence?

My last client had a logo in mind but he wanted to have all the branding also resolved, templates for IG, profile, cover images, thumbnail branding etc. He saved money on the actual logo design.

Haha that wasn’t really my plan, but it definitely happened! :grinning:

That’s actually a really good idea! I didn’t even think of that. Thanks!

1 Like

I was able to find a few decent logo artists, but it still wasn’t really what I was looking for. So I ended up doing my own research to find a good logo artist!

I know right!! When people offer free services, it makes them sound kind of desperate for work, yet they aren’t making any money from that work! It’s really confusing!

@krheate On the risk of being off-topic here I feel it is my duty to warn you to test out potential designers you selected by using google search images. If any of the images they have in the portfolio is available on the internet, chances are you will get stock footage.
It is not the best way since some designers mask the logo they stolen by using the photo in the background, but still.
Also, go through the logo design brief questionnaire so you can narrow down easier what you like and do not like.

Excellent post!

I’ve ventured into the BRs daily only recently to see what some Buyers are looking for.

Out of maybe 5 new BRs a week in my category (web content) there is maybe one I can do (I don’t speak anything other than English and many BRs I see are for other languages).

Out of those I have yet to see any offering a decent fee/price.

However, I can see there are usually 20+ offers made.

I shake my head.

I’m far from desperate enough to work for peanuts.

Your post is brilliant…only if it is read.

Thank you for posting it.

1 Like

Sorry for this post being off-topic.

Before choosing my logo designer, I actually searched up their images to see if they used stolen photos. Surprisingly, none of the artists that I was considering has stolen work, but that could be because I had a high budget, so I was looking at more expensive designers. Thanks for the warning though!

2 Likes

I’m probably going to sound really harsh here, but when it comes to illustrators… those kind of illustrator are probably not worth much anyway. A lot of those types of sellers are scammers in the first place. They steal work from other artists and modify it in photoshop to somewhat fit what you asked.

I’ve seen soooo many of them, reported so many of them too, but Fiverr doesn’t seem to do much about them. Buyers don’t always notice it, so they end up with good reviews, but as an illustrator myself I can spot them miles away.

I’m not saying all of them are scammers, but let’s face it, in some countries I won’t name, there is way to many “expert” and “professional” in the illustration category to be real.

4 Likes

That’s something I saw as well unfortunately- there were far too many offers that just seemed… off in many ways?
If I’m being honest, I do come from a not-so-wealthy country myself (Hungary, fiverr seems to still think I’m Italian but I guess all you have to do is flip the flag, so…) and I know how people get very desperate. And I feel bad for them… but in the end, I’m paying for a service here, right? I’d hate to have a ‘pretty’ illustration for my webnovel only to see it another website. I think something should be done against this but fiverr doesn’t seem to care. Then again, monitoring such a huge website can’t be easy but still…

1 Like

lol, you are right but…

Yeah it’s tough because you want to give someone a leg up but you can’t help someone who won’t help themselves. It would be a loss to you, the buyer, and pointless for them, the seller.

2 Likes

Now I have heard everything!!! Wow that’s shocking!

Just for future VO search, there are so many amazing choices. Be sure to look at their live portfolio. That will tell you where they are now and what the voice sounds like today…Not 5 years ago. Also, demos can hide a lot of issues with sound, quality and audio issues. Pay attention to the recent live Fiverr jobs because most are without music and you can really hear the voice.

But just don’t ask for a free sample of the script. I only give that when a buyer accepts an offer or is in my order queue.

4 Likes

@songmusic151 If you want help you just need to create your own new topic.