Fiverr Forum

Ridiculous Buyer Requests and the Fragglerocks that Bid on Them

Pardon my rant. I am a professional, degree-bearing, experienced writer. I am offering (as are many competitors) 500 words for $5, which is 1 penny per word, and slave wages. This is okay. It’s my gig, and I offer it of my own free will, and I do it happily and well. Maybe it should not, but it really gets under my skin when I see buyers requesting 1000, 2000, 5000 words for $5… AND SEVERAL OFFERS BEING MADE ON THOSE REQUESTS. Who in their right mind will write this much for $5? It is insulting that anyone would even request a person to write more than 500 words for $5, but these buyer requests are laughable. Yet, they are receiving MULTIPLE offers. The same goes for proofreading gigs. Okay, end of rant. :slight_smile:

newspoet said: If I started offering to write 1000 words for $5, I think I would get so busy my wife would leave me! :P But so you write 1000 words for $5. I have seen requests for 4K, 5K words for $5 WITH SEVERAL OFFERS... Like I said, I just can't wrap my head around it... :)

My girlfriend loathes me for doing it!

I do not understand people who order more than 1k for 5.00. It has always baffled me. That is like....less than a dollar an hour.

I write 1000 words for 5.00. It’s not really to earn money. It is because I enjoy writing most of the time. Main reason as to why I write on here is the fact that I love learning about new things as I write about them. Sure, writing here takes up most of my day. However I can afford to write that much for 5.00 as other sources bring in income for me. You won’t always get crap for 5.00 as my feedback shows.

I don’t do buyer request though. Most of the people there are ridiculously demanding once they order.

Reply to @madmoo: Thanks for reminding me about the $4… :stuck_out_tongue:

@ryangillam: I can’t imagine what your queue looks like. This is a side gig for me, but my queue does get backed up often enough that I have thought of lowering my word count further. I love to write too, but I have found that when people pay you slave wages, they often feel entitled to treat you like a slave (or at least like they are doing you a favor by giving you their business). Luckily though, I have had pretty good customers for the most part, and several repeat customers. I just can’t believe some of the requests that come up in the buyers requests get multiple bids. It’s hard to wrap my head around. :slight_smile:

ryangillam said: Main reason as to why I write on here is the fact that I love learning about new things as I write about them.

I enjoy this aspect of freelancing as well. I have looked at other freelance sites such as SEOClerks and Constant Content, but I think this format is my favorite, and I have certainly been most successful here.

newspoet said:
  • @ryangillam: I can't imagine what your queue looks like. This is a side gig for me, but my queue does get backed up often enough that I have thought of lowering my word count further. I love to write too, but I have found that when people pay you slave wages, they often feel entitled to treat you like a slave (or at least like they are doing you a favor by giving you their business). Luckily though, I have had pretty good customers for the most part, and several repeat customers. I just can't believe some of the requests that come up in the buyers requests get multiple bids. It's hard to wrap my head around. :)

It gets pretty hectic which means that from time to time I do want to give it in. For the most part however my customers are pretty nice. The majority are repeat customers which is fantastic. I have another gig which is 250 words which actually seems to be more popular than my 'main gig' at the moment. I probably would not offer either if I did not actually like the process of writing. The only thing that gets me is when people are keen to reject a gig because of a VERY minor error (somebody rejected today as I included a double , i.e. ,,) Just a typo, but yeah! Research is fun and I have learned a ton of new things!

newspoet said: I have looked at other freelance sites such as fragglesrock and Constant Content, but I think this format is my favorite

lol. Fiverr "fragglesrocks" their competitors' names?

If I started offering to write 1000 words for $5, I think I would get so busy my wife would leave me! :stuck_out_tongue: But so you write 1000 words for $5. I have seen requests for 4K, 5K words for $5 WITH SEVERAL OFFERS… Like I said, I just can’t wrap my head around it… :slight_smile:

Reply to @newspoet:

newspoet said: This is a side gig for me, but my queue does get backed up often enough that I have thought of lowering my word count further.

You should. I only offer 250 words for $5 and I'm getting steady work, and am considering lowering my word count. Granted, I also get a lot of messages for "offshore" customers asking if I'll raise my word count per gig (the answer is always, unequivocally NO) but there are clients out there who care about quality and are willing to pay for it. And honestly, writers who are willing to write for a penny or less per word hurt the overall freelance writing market. You're an educated, experienced, skilled writer. Charge what you're worth!

I don’t too often disagree with madmoo or bachas - and I guess I’m not really disagreeing here, just adding a thought.

Yes, a good many ‘cheap’ providers put out crap, but many of the buyers aren’t interested in quality, they just want content/product, and loads of it. The other point is that Fiverr is an international forum and quite simply there are plenty of places on this earth that $5 (gross) goes pretty far. Combine the various costs of living with the fact that some people just enjoy producing what they sell here (or as stated above have other sources of revenue) there will always be people who can provide products or services for a small fraction of what others have to charge to make Fiverr a viable effort for them. And sadly there are just people who are in desperate enough situations that they have to do whatever they can and as much as they can just to put food on the table.

As frustrating as it can be, you just can’t let it cause you stress. Just get on with what you can do and ignore the rest. :slight_smile:

I don’t really pay attention to what other people are doing… but what gets me:

I just had a guy ask me to do 45,000 words of content. He was willing to break it up into five 1000-word chunks at $5 each. He also needed the work by Monday. I charge extra for long form, because I hate doing it. I charge extra for rush delivery. He wanted to give me $225 for a job that I would normally charge $1,125 for.

Nope.

pghhearts said: 45,000 words of content. He was willing to break it up into five 1000-word chunks

5x1000=5000

ricksper said: 5x1000=5000

lol... Wait a minute. Writing is not my forte, but...

According to an online word to page conversion software, 45,000 words, by default, equals 100 pages...a short paper back or an impressive ebook.

1,000 word chunks of 45,000 are 45 chunks, not 5 chunks [45 x 1,000= 45,000]

To pay pghearts his usual rate, he would be pulling $11.25 per page

[$1,125.00 / 100 pages = $ 11.25 ]

Interesting Side Note: A PLR article at an average word count of 400 equals approximately $5

Just clearing up some fuzzy math..

To proclaim oneself a ‘professional writer’ is a pretty ballsy thing to do. Some ‘so called’ writers don’t even know what a gerund is or how to conjugate a verb. However, they manage to happily write boatloads of crap for the less educated masses. Personally, if writing were my gig, I would charge what I wanted to regardless of what my competitors (or what anyone) thought about it. Why? My reasons would be my own. End of story (pardon the pun).

He meant forty-five, not five. 45 x $5 = $225

That’s certainly better than 5->9,000 word chunks at $5 each… :-S

Seriously, I think what pghhearts means is that his client’s 45,000 word job was whittled down to 5,000 words. By all means correct me, pgh, if I am mistaken.

Is chunks a valid unit of measurement?

Reply to @ricksper:

lol

Reply to @ricksper: It surely is:

noun

plural noun: chunks

an amount or part of something.

“fuel takes a large chunk of their small income”