Roadblocks and how to overcome them, nice topic.
I had a … kind of a perceived roadblock, I guess.
In my niche, when I started (no idea how it is nowadays, since Fiverr came up with some efforts like the evaluation system, phone verification, ID verification in the meantime), there were sellers who had multiple gigs (most probably multiple accounts too from all I could tell/see, and let’s not even talk about other things), which were literally plastered all over the first ranking page/s - the exact same gig, only with tiny variations of the inconsequential kind (think “I will do perfect X”, “I will do awesome X”, “I will do fantastic X”, “I will do great X”, “I will do the best X”, now tell me that’s not infuriating even on a good day ), thus taking up spaces that other (new or not new) sellers’ 1 (!) gig could have ranked on.
As that behaviour is obviously unfair, clutters the result pages and makes things annoying not just for other sellers who play fair but for buyers too, and is not allowed by Fiverr’s terms, that did annoy me quite a bit, so you could say those multiple gigs were my roadblocks.
How I overcame them … by starting to not give a fraggelsrock about what anyone else is doing, by not even looking at the result pages anymore to not get annoyed by it … bliss, peace of mind …
And this is a theme that transcends into other areas too: Let others do what they think they must do, and you do you meanwhile.
Buyers tell you other sellers do X for cheaper? Great, they’ll know what their service is worth, I know what my service is worth, glad you found sellers who fulfill your requirements at your budget, good luck with your project.
Everyone in your niche does X, Y and Z but you know that it might be good for mo money but is in fact not the right thing to do? Be wilful and only do X.
You read everywhere that new sellers should set 24 hours delivery time to get orders but you feel stressed out by it, get buyers who won’t reply to crucial questions regarding their order/don’t send requirements timely? Don’t offer 24-hour delivery, or only after contact.
What would I have done differently? Let’s see if I can come up with a top 5 that might help new sellers … I would have:
- thought very very well about my username (but that’s only a help if anyone browses this forum and reads this post already before registering, unfortunately)
- learned the ToS by heart right away
- set my prices not too high but definitely higher from the start (looking at the competition, and looking through the competition in some cases, should have made me do that pretty much right away, actually, never mind how new I was on Fiverr)
- trusted more in myself and care less about what others are doing
- never started posting on the forum, it’s such a time sink!