Fiverr Community Forum

Safe exit option for the seller from ongoing order with incompetent client, not to ruin next level elegibility?

Hello…
Not sure where to post, but found similar topics posted in here…

Introduction…currently i am level 1, soon to be eligible level 2 seller… PRO certified as well…
my priority is to keep my 5 star rating and clean record…
(was like this as a student in high school…can be a burden sometimes, huh)

Not to bother you with the details of the workflow in the current order, i am willing to sacrifice my invested time…just wantout of this and to remain my record clean… the customer is unstable in his needs, incompetent, changeable with his ideas etc… in short, hes a mess…
and i have no trust in him…
and wouldnt like to find myself in the position to get less than 5 review only because he might feel like not sure how to comprehend my pro material… (yes, thats the problem…what i delivered is too perfect to him…as " he is not a pro musician"…)…
i also feel he found cheaper alternative, but after placing order with me…and now i am in the process of bullshitting…he may in purpose to come to cancelation…

• So, if i somehow come to an end after 2nd review i am at high risk of getting undeserved lower than 5 rating…which is not acceptable for me and woudl like to avoid it at any cost…

(guy hitting Revision request prior even listening to delivery!! than saying that what we have its fine and to proceed…and i deliver updated material, and- voila- once again, he hits Revision request…saying he will check in couple of days…?!! so i think you get onto reason of my trust issue as well as wish to exit this)

• Canceling…never done this…and as far as i know it leaves the mark forever? and not sure does it influences my Level 2 eligibility…?
    (once got automated cancellation (by mistake, i delivered material attaching it to a msg before hitting delivery button…so, my deliver was like empty…although in reality it was already delivered)

So, what is the safest exit for me from this current order, not to risk ruining my ranking/rep/ next level (2) eligibility? (at this point, i do not care if i end up with no income in this one…!)

Thank you colleagues…! This has become a stranglehold situation, sincerely will appreciate any help!

3 Likes

Never give your work away for free to try to keep your ratings or avoid a bad review.

Avoiding those things means nothing if you aren’t making money for your work.

Bad buyers prey on the threat of a bad review or ratings issue. Don’t let them exploit you.

4 Likes

Hiya. Welcome to the forum and the infamous Ranting Pot!

Cancelled orders are reflected in your Order Completion Rate “only” for 60 days. They can hinder your leveling up if your OCR drops below 90% until or on your level evaluation date (14th-16th of the month). If you have/get enough orders and no further cancellations, it might not be a big issue, but I agree that you shouldn’t cancel for no good reason if you did the work and spent the most precious thing you have, your time (your delivery being “too perfect/ professional” for your client is not a good reason to cancel, he shouldn’t have hired a pro then if he prefers unprofessional work). Unless he expressly asked for less than perfect in his order requirements? :wink:

5 Likes

Thank you for your reply, but at this point, my rating is still quite fragile and overall rating will be affected…
Which i cannot allow…if possible to remain within my control…
Praying on this one is what i am willing to tolerate right now

Thanks for chiming in…
I appreciate the informative input…!
Thing is that i have small number of orders, but prices not low, so it works fine for me…BUT, gives huge weight to each order… as if i had 1,2 maybe 3 orders monthly, one cancellation results in what…? me loosing level 1?

btw - today teh guy said it was his mistake he hired me becaus ei am overqualified for his needs… but order is in progress…

how to exit it with the least repercussion on my side?

Thank you!

It doesn’t matter.

There is no situation that makes it a good idea to exploit yourself.

1 Like

But it absolutely does at this specific situation, if my lowered rating endangeres my future hire, which of course, it does…

I agree with your idea, but at this specific situation, i have argumented my priorities… one fee more less…especially if it takes effect on upcoming jobs…and IT DOES!!!

edit: explanation: i am still quite fresh in here, and my overall score could be easily affected with each order rating

You will likely be messed up either way - if you cancel the order, it messes with that analytic, if you deliver and they want to rate low, it messes with that analytic. I doubt Fiverr is going to cancel it for you and not count it against you - you could always try to ask them, but, do not expect it to occur.

GG

2 Likes

No it doesn’t.

No successful business that makes good money does things like this.

If you have a proper business, a drop in your ratings won’t prevent future sales.

Focus on building a business that will get sales and then the odd dud order won’t hurt you.

It is a problem if you only get one or two orders a month and you can’t blame that on the system. It is your problem.

2 Likes

If you cancel the order, that will certainly take effect on upcoming orders.

If you get an unfair and bad review, you can respond to that in a professional manner that has a positive effect upon the prospective buyers.

4 Likes

This is still starting phase, and going actually quite nicely…
I have no problem with possible lower ratings dud as you nicely described it…
But my analytics are quite fragile…i am not blaming teh system, simply asking for a tip form more experienced users…

Nature of my bussiness is different than many, i guess…like i have said, i do not take many orders, but fees do not come cheap…that is the way i work…

It is not teh end of teh world a lower rating…but ta this point of building teh reputation its surely not welcome

Thank you… <3

Unfortunately, seems theres no magic wand to undo this…but thank you for kind clarification and understanding the situation

1 Like

There is a reason you only get one or two sales per month and you need to identify and change that. It isn’t the system’s fault. This won’t change unless YOU change.

You are instigating a vicious circle.

3 Likes

In the end, he/she might choose to not leave you any rating at all. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, thats where i leave my fingers crossed! :slight_smile:
btw: he already has got so much more than asked…!

Well, i thank you for the input…
and seems like that big quantity of orders works best, concrning bulding low rating resistance and other possible negatives…

definitely not optimal for, lets say, not so affordable services…(the ones i am not capable of completing in some crazy quantities over period of time, as well ).

All this results in need of having to dissect my servoce in particles simply to build more orders (despite being overall same amount of money…teh more orders, teh more complications for the buyer…which goes completely opposite to my idea of building a One stop shop service for music production)

Do you have experience with this…? asking Fiverr to cancel it? i seriously doubt they would step up and go against their 20 percent

No. I have yet to ask Fiverr to step in and cancel something for me. I either cancel it myself and take the hit if the client is out of bounds with their attitude or some other issue arises. Most times when I have had to cancel, it is because they order by “mistake” (annoying) or they order something that I do not offer and couldn’t be bothered to read the description of the Gig. I try 99% of the time though, even in difficult situations to work with the client to give them what it is they need - and it usually works out.

Most likely if you were to contact Fiverr, my guess is, they would tell you to “work it out” with the buyer - and that they cannot manually “adjust” the cancellation rate or order completion rate. But, it never hurts to ask.

GG

3 Likes

I hear you…had a few semi-problematic situations so far… in creative stuff, like where i write drums, its so much open space for what i can do, and on the other side, the references and instructions are either too short, or too broad to be specifically useful…

truth is that buyers in those scenarios are inadequate level of understanding the matter…read: amateurs… but yes, i always try to work it out…

in example, in thsi scenario:

• guy comes with shitty recorded guitars, wanting to get good drums, which he can use as a healthy base for rerecording guitars and the rest…

• i instruct him that using his guitars as is, it is not possible to get pro level drum backbone, ie useful for true rerecording…BUT, i recommend him that i could perfect his recorded ideas, and based on that, i can create perfect backbone drums…which i illustrate by using a few of his ideas… he is in awe, stoked, and immediately wants to work with me…

• custom order, i start working…

• few days in order, i send a test…once again, he is in awe…

• i continue

• all of a sudden, he sends me a work of other drummer, on some other track of his…not pro sound, not pro base…all in all, everything remains in the amateur ballpark…but he expresses that he likes it… i am all OK, but that does not change what we agreed on… creating Pro backbone for later Pro recording…

• all of a sudden, “he cannot recognize all of his parts in the last test i sent a couple of days ago” (and this is the point where everything changes…i think this was a weak effort to try to find a way out)…his statement makes no much sense because i use his parts, but tighten them and put in tempo, because they were all over the place…

after explaining that, long and painful, in order to try to Work it out, i agree to try to go more over the place, but remain tempo constant… in the end, i revise the full track by following not sensible tempo drops, bu making the full automation midi track to follow…to translate, a lot of work…as being trapped in corner with my fragile analytics, i know that theres not so likely a good way out…

so, upon delivery of that…hes like very happy, but wants some revision, more subtle…

ok…done…delivered again…

now few other parts…

ok, done…

i dleiver…

no answer couple fo days…i was like, oh, ok, 3 days automate comletion and fak it…but NO…he jumps in today, hitting Request revision, stating he needs few more days untill he can check out the revision?

in teh meantime i see him having 2 reviews from that other guy in teh meantime, whose work is ok for teh price, but signifficantly cheaper than my service…

all in all, to sum up…

amateur guy thinks he wants pro

comes to me

likes the small preview

places orders

loves teh test

in teh meantime, finds the amateurish cheaper service…

has second thoughts on my service by understanding that amateur level is enough for him, despite agreeing with me on something very different…

in teh end, we will see…!

at this point it is very useful that i have learned that Cancelation is no option for me…so i go to the final delivery, whatever happens, i want my money…

long term lesson and goal, achieving bulletproof resistance to possibel lower ratings, not because i tend to deliver less than stellar, i am a big perfectionist, but some clients are out of order…

which translates into working out a way to have many orders over shorter periods of time…!

sorry fo rteh long rant, and thank you people… it does feel good to share this with someone who understands…great to have this rant section…!:smiley:

2 Likes

You are offering a Gig in a very tough market - it is subjective what the client likes. This is because you are doing something artistic and creative. Also, probably tougher, because it is not in person where you can tweak it as you go along with their input. I would get annoyed if I kept seeing the “Revision Requested” button over and over after delivering on what they paid for - some buyers here do try to milk it for all they can - especially trying to get one over with new sellers or those who have less sales or reviews. They know they can hold it over your head and you have to dance like a puppet!

GG

3 Likes