Samples Before ordering

shaunacardwell

I get asked here and there if I can provide a samples/demos before hand, (I make music) does anyone here give out a sample before a customer orders. They say they are going to order afterwards but if they dont like the sample then ive just waisted time but then again they might order a full song which i dont want to miss on.

Your samples are the musical demonstrations currently on your gigs. When I perform live I offer a press kit. I’m not gonna have my band show up and give you a free gig as a sample, though. You’ve gone to great lengths to make your gigs speak to your talents. The tools we have for demonstrating our work is enough and why they are there.

Hi Shauna,

In addition to my Live Portfolio, I also provide links to downloadable demo recordings (I am a Level Two voice over seller) to buyers asking for samples. When a buyer insists on a sample from their script, I provide 2 or 3 sentences only (assuming the script is much longer), usually from the middle of the script. That way, the buyer is provided with a reading from their material and you protect yourself from theft of intellectual property.

Never work for free. This is my quick response I send when someone asks for samples:

"Unfortunately, I cannot offer free samples. This is because the amount of time it takes to record a sample is equivalent to recording a 100 word voice over. There are many such requests each week, and often buyers will “shop around” by asking a dozen or more VO artists for a free sample. This creates a lot of unpaid time in the studio, as only one person will be selected for the job.

There are varied samples of my work on my gig page which will give you a very good idea of how it will sound. Additional demos can be heard here:

(Links to YouTube and SoundCloud removed for this post)

Otherwise, if you still require a sample prior to ordering an entire job, I suggest you select a 100 words from the script and order a basic $10 gig to hear exactly what it will sound like."

Never work for free. This is my quick response I send when someone asks for samples:

"Unfortunately, I cannot offer free samples. This is because the amount of time it takes to record a sample is equivalent to recording a 100 word voice over. There are many such requests each week, and often buyers will “shop around” by asking a dozen or more VO artists for a free sample. This creates a lot of unpaid time in the studio, as only one person will be selected for the job.

There are varied samples of my work on my gig page which will give you a very good idea of how it will sound. Additional demos can be heard here:

(Links to YouTube and SoundCloud removed for this post)

Otherwise, if you still require a sample prior to ordering an entire job, I suggest you select a 100 words from the script and order a basic $10 gig to hear exactly what it will sound like."

There are varied samples of my work on my gig page which will give you a very good idea of how it will sound.

I don’t get it. What’s their reasoning for the samples because you already have multiple samples in your portfolio? Why would a new sample be any different?

Do they explain why they need a new sample or do they ask you to read in their text?

There are varied samples of my work on my gig page which will give you a very good idea of how it will sound.

I don’t get it. What’s their reasoning for the samples because you already have multiple samples in your portfolio? Why would a new sample be any different?

Do they explain why they need a new sample or do they ask you to read in their text?

Quite often, I believe the idea is to get their actual 2-3 sentences read for free, then take off. I know of at least one person who submitted a whole script pretending that it was a potential order, while they just wanted to steal the first 2-3 sentences from me. Fortunately, I had @misscrystal turn them into an ogre.

Quite often, I believe the idea is to get their actual 2-3 sentences read for free, then take off. I know of at least one person who submitted a whole script pretending that it was a potential order, while they just wanted to steal the first 2-3 sentences from me. Fortunately, I had @misscrystal turn them into an ogre.

VO is probably one of the easiest and safest category here. I wish design category was that simple.

• You write your own script so it’s not like VO artist can copy someone else’s work.
  • You get to hear samples which have much more credibility than let’s say logos which can easily be stolen.
  • You don’t have to worry that the same seller will resell your order because most likely nobody needs your script. (I’ve used a designer who sold my infographic to another buyer. I learned my lesson)

I agree with @newsmike. Don’t work for free or if you do decide to create another sample then don’t use their script. They are interested in the voice so it shouldn’t matter if you change it up a little so that they can’t use it 😉

VO is probably one of the easiest and safest category here. I wish design category was that simple.

• You write your own script so it’s not like VO artist can copy someone else’s work.
  • You get to hear samples which have much more credibility than let’s say logos which can easily be stolen.
  • You don’t have to worry that the same seller will resell your order because most likely nobody needs your script. (I’ve used a designer who sold my infographic to another buyer. I learned my lesson)

I agree with @newsmike. Don’t work for free or if you do decide to create another sample then don’t use their script. They are interested in the voice so it shouldn’t matter if you change it up a little so that they can’t use it 😉

I agree, it is much easier to take your work and run with it, sorry about that.

You’re spot on Newsmike. There are a sizable number of free work trolls lurking in Fiverr shadows. Unfortunately, they seem to prey on newer sellers who too often fall for the “I will use you exclusively in the future” or “I have lots of work but need a sample for my records/client before I can order from you” trick.

Hello, i make music and offer audio services here on fiverr and yes sometimes happens that someone ask for samples, the first thing I do is to let them listen to my portfolio.
If they ask for samples without any explanation on their project then I will say a big NO.

You’re spot on Newsmike. There are a sizable number of free work trolls lurking in Fiverr shadows. Unfortunately, they seem to prey on newer sellers who too often fall for the “I will use you exclusively in the future” or “I have lots of work but need a sample for my records/client before I can order from you” trick.

“I have lots of work but need a sample for my records/client before I can order from you” trick.

image.jpg.56521b49a7a92b24f6ded09b7e9740d9.jpg

I was looking at a video seller’s samples yesterday for a client and all through his portfolio it kept saying “preview” in the background to ensure it couldnt be used for anything. Was clever I thought but could be standard for the industry, I don’t know.

I believe it’s standard because there were a lot of audio artists who kept getting ripped off so they would include audio watermarks to safeguard themselves. I’ve even heard it on YouTube at least once but you had to be paying attention in order to hear it because it blended well with the music that was playing.

Thanks for the help everyone, I have links to my youtube and soundcloud page along with everything in my portfolio there is a lot of examples of work I have done over the years, I have over 700 videos on youtube, 29 tracks on soundcloud, people always ask for a 30 second - 45 second recording even if they said 10 seconds wouldnt be so bad, but I’m just not gonna give samples anymore, I have the proof of good work.

Archived