Saying "no" to revisions?

sunflowerfox

Hi all, it’s my first time on the forum but I just wanted to know about your experiences when buyers ask for revisions. Have you ever said “no”? I have a fear of saying no even if it’s excessive or unreasonable, because I’m worried they would just cancel the order (and so all my previous hard work goes to waste) or give me a bad review?

It’s completely subjective, it also depends on how many revisions you offer on your gig. A buyer has a right to the free revisions you have offered on your gig. Once these are used then you have the right to reject another revision, however, it isn’t best practise to do this, often offering a gig extra to increase the order price to do the revision is a better way to go. It always depends on what the revision is, if a buyer asks me to change the size of a video I will happily do that for free as it’s something simple and easy for me to do quickly. If they however want new content or a big edit that is what I would call a major revision, I would charge for these if the free revisions have been used.

This is actually a good question. My suggestion is that even though it is your first order, you need clearly communicate your terms and conditions in your offer. Check how your gig description is made. If you had made an unlimited revision, you have no option other than doing it. Still, in case of a customer, order make sure you specifically mention these details before the order is accepted.
When I am accepting a customer order for my translation, I will first see the type of works involved and decide how many revisions I need to get this done correctly. If I assume that I can do like 03 revision what I will do is mention it as 02 or even 01 because I know I can do up to 03, but theoretically, I have given a lesser number of revisions. If the buyer is satisfied with 01 revision or even 03 revision no harm for me.

It’s completely subjective, it also depends on how many revisions you offer on your gig. A buyer has a right to the free revisions you have offered on your gig. Once these are used then you have the right to reject another revision, however, it isn’t best practise to do this, often offering a gig extra to increase the order price to do the revision is a better way to go. It always depends on what the revision is, if a buyer asks me to change the size of a video I will happily do that for free as it’s something simple and easy for me to do quickly. If they however want new content or a big edit that is what I would call a major revision, I would charge for these if the free revisions have been used.

Thanks for this suggestion! I guess also the problem is when I start I offer a certain number of revisions, but sometimes they ask for really major changes, and I feel like my price is already so low that it doesn’t cover such major revisions :\

I had a funny experience recently.

I offer 2 rounds of free revisions with every package, then I can do a few $15/a round if the buyer is reasonable and makes any sense with their wishes. It’s explicitly stated in my gig terms that I don’t offer unlimited revisions, free or paid (this is important because some buyers assume they can torture you indefinitely as long as they’re prepared to compensate you for it).

I get a buyer who is very specific about what they want. The first round of revisions comes in, it’s extensive but manageable. Then the buyer disappears, the order autocompletes and I forget about them.

A week later they come back with a second round of revisions. Just casually as you like, waltz into my inbox with a list. I could be on a beach somewhere at this point, btw, but well.

I do those because after all these years, all the forum posts, all the CS inquiries I still don’t fully understand whether I’m obligated to provide revisions after the order is marked as complete or not. I prefer to provide them just to be safe.

I do the second round, they come back in another few days, tell me that now it looks “worse”, casually unroll another long list and state multiple times that they are prepared to pay me.

(The revisions don’t make any sense, btw. As in, I have serious trouble understanding what the person wants). So I tell the that the order included 2 rounds of revisions and I’ve provided them. I won’t be comfortable with any extra rounds because the communication is a bit off and I’m not sure any of this will be successful. BUT I can quickly fix a few minor things from the new list and that’ll be it.

They ignore half of my message, come back with another list, offer to pay me again. Then I explode inside and tell them: “Here is another new version with minor edits I offered before. I won’t be working on this any further. Sorry.”

Then I brace for impact. And the person goes: “Ok, thanks”. Just like that. 2 hours later I get a 5*, a tip and an inbox message that they appreciate my professionalism and didn’t realize how patient I was with them. I’m still not convinced that it isn’t a clever chargeback ploy but it’s been weeks.

So, sometimes you just say “sorry, no”. It’s nerve-wracking but you can do it. Set the number of revisions you’re prepared to offer to 1-3 and kindly refer your buyers to your gig terms.

Sometimes you can give them some wiggle room and say: “This gig includes 2 rounds of revisions but I can add one round for free”. You can also add paid extras for revisions. They tend to scare revision lovers away.

If you don’t want to offer revisions at all, it’s the trickiest scenario because then you sort of slam the door in the buyer’s face, and then they can retaliate in some manner. You have a right to do that but I’d advise offering at least 1 round. It shows that you’re prepared to be accommodating and genuinely are more interested in making the project work than getting paid fast.

If someone asks you for something not in scope of the original order, then you have the rights to say no. You can request more money added to your order, instead. If the buyer doesn’t agree, you can request to cancel the order, or risk having a bad review.

Thanks for this suggestion! I guess also the problem is when I start I offer a certain number of revisions, but sometimes they ask for really major changes, and I feel like my price is already so low that it doesn’t cover such major revisions :\

After first two orders, you will be able to revise your gig if necessary. Add some FAQs and that’s a best place to give your terms and conditions related to the offer. I got a lot of experience from my first gig and I even removed the unlimited revision for my translation because I know it will bring more trouble for me in future. Limiting the number of revisions also gives an impression to buyers about the quality of your work, All the best.

Archived