Scammed By Another Buyer

Once, again,  I have been scammed on Fiverr. Lately, there seems to me more dishonest buyers than honest ones out there.  I received an order for my virtual assistant services.   The buyer purchased a single gig with no extra for an hour of work.   The buyer asked me to find out contact information for the PR departments of developers of popular video games.  I worked for an hour, then delivered the results to the buyer through Fiverr. The buyer asked for a modification.  The buyer was upset because they felt my hour of work did not result in contact information for pages and pages of names and numbers.   They were also upset because they wanted me to contact them outside of Fiverr by delivering the product to their personal email.  Obviously, I do not have the time to put in hours and hours of additional free labor to get this buyer a list he feels is long enough, nor do I have any desire to violate Fiverr's TOS and deliver the work to his personal email.  So, I requested a mutual cancel and contacted Fiverr about his request for me to contact him outside of Fiverr.<br />

What is it with all the scammers ? Do I have Scam Magnet tattooed on my gigs ? How do other sellers prevent getting scammed by buyers ?

When I read your virtual assistant gig, I don’t see anything about time. It looks like you’re basing prices on pages.

p.s. I hope you don’t mind my saying this. I’m not even a Fiverr 1 or 2. :slight_smile: But I think you are selling yourself short!! $5 for 2 pages of an originally written researched doctoral dissertation? A 3000 word story for $5? Really?

That “scammer” would be me…and don’t believe the hype. She cries wolf when there is no wolf.

She jumped all down my throat for no reason. I didn’t even ask for a refund. She gave it to me.

I asked her a simple question after getting back a file that wasn’t anywhere what I had asked for.

I usually don’t respond to stuff like this but she’s accusing me as being a scammer so I’m going to put it all out there.

And to be honest, the only reason I gave her a chance was because I saw her post something similar about being scammed before and I wanted to give her a chance. I was going to let her keep the $5 regardless of whether or not I was completely satisfied (because it’s just $5) until she offered to cancel gig and sent me a message as to how she gets tired of being “scammed by people like me”.

She went waaaaaaaaay overboard and now I’m led to believe that maybe the problem isn’t that it’s her customers and maybe it is her.

Here is my description of what I wanted to have her do for me:

Dear PeggySue,

TASK: I need for you to gather as many names and email contacts to PR departments within Video Game companies.

We're trying to obtain free copies of video games in order to review them on our website. These companies need to be makers of popular video games so you will have to do research on who these companies are.

I found a couple of websites that explain the process a little bit more in depth that you can follow.

http://gamejournalismjobs.com/how-to-request-review-copies/

http://vortexeffect.net/2013/11/04/how-to-become-a-game-reviewer-get-game-review-copies/

http://wolfsgamingblog.com/2010/11/01/how-to-become-a-reviewer-and-get-those-fabled-review-copies-version-2-new-and-improved/

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/how-do-video-game-reviewers-get-early-access-to-ga-458107/

This website explains how you can go to GamesPress.com which has a list of PR contacts that you may be able to dig through:

http://blindchicagodream.wordpress.com/2013/11/08/how-to-get-review-copies-of-video-games/

Gather as many emails as you can for me and place the "Video Game Company", "Contact Name", "Email address", and "Phone Number" in an excel spreadsheet. Only gather phone numbers if they are readily available with the email addresses as the email addresses are what I need the most.

DEADLINE: As soon as your schedule permits. Email me spreadsheet to...

DURATION: Stop at 1 hour or for whatever time my gig has bought.

Let me know as soon as possible if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Notice how detailed this description is. This is the format I use when dealing with VAs so that my instructions and message doesn't get lost on them.

Notice how I even tell her where to go to get the emails. This is a simple copy and paste job that I didn't have the time to do myself.

Notice how I specifically state to gather AS MANY EMAILS as you can for and to place them in a SPREADSHEET with the appropriate labels.

Also notice how I tell her to STOP at 1 HOUR or whatever time I bought from her.

Then I also specifically sent her a message before I started the gig to see if she does Spreadsheets and she replied yes.

So I order gig and a few days later she emails me: "Here you go. I found a bunch of info for contacts for some of the most popular games out there."

Key words: A BUNCH

Attached is what she provided me with.

Nothing like what I had asked for.

Not a spreadsheet.

And definitely not "A BUNCH".

Only 4 companies. With I believe 1 of the companies not even having an email address which was the main reason for me ordering the gig.

So after receiving document and reviewing, understandably I was completely unsatisfied.

So all I did was send her a simple message. A real simple question. Here's the question.

"Is there more to this file? I only see like 4 companies and it's not in the format that I requested in my instructions. Thanks!"

That's it. I wasn't being rude. I wasn't asking for a cancellation. I wasn't asking for a refund because like I said before, I was going to let her keep the money.

I thought that I was being polite for the work I received.

And then here goes PeggySue flying off the deep end...she responds.

"I am so sick of being scammed out of payment on Fiverr by people like you. Those 4 companies are developers for over 500 of the most popular video games in the world. You wanted developer contact info for PR for popular games. BTW, it took me over 5 hours to check all those games. If I'd included less popular games, you would have thrown a fit and used that as an excuse not to pay as well. Go scam someone else into giving you free work. I'm not putting anymore work into this project for next to nothing. I will not accept any more orders from you."

I was like WTF!

If she feels that me asking her a simple question is being scammed, I can see why she has been "scammed" in the past.

This girl must be possessed because I hadn't implied that I was scamming her nor was I asking for a refund. She lacks business tact. And she obviously may have some mental issues because we could have handled this a whole lot differently.

I just don't appreciate being called out my name, especially since a simple conversation was all I was trying to have to fix this issue.

If it took her 5 hours to get those 4 companies' info, then maybe she shouldn't be a VA on Fiverr.

And I'm glad that she wont "accept any more orderd from me" because she wasn't going to get any.

My advice to anyone looking for a VA is to stay away from PeggySue because she scams people.

See it goes both ways, I can say that you scam people as well by giving them shoddy work.

I really didn't want to do this but felt that Peggy Sue forced my hand and she may need some help to see that the problem may not be us, the buyer, but it's her.

The sad thing is that I'm really in need of a VA to do similar research related tasks and if she would've worked out, this could have been a long partnership where she could have made hundreds from me monthly.

This was a test run and she failed horribly.

Edit: Here's the dropbox link to file she provided me with in case attachment doesn't work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k3i1m82wbldr2ja/Research_report_games.docx

Reply to @rebesign: Check out the reason she feels she was being scammed. That “Scammer” was me. I just responded and tell me what you think about the situation once you got the whole picture.

Here’s the original post from where I found her and wanted to give her a chance to work for me after feeling sorry that someone had “scammed” her. Notice my comments on that post.

http://forum.fiverr.com/discussion/comment/108436

Oh, the irony.

I now wonder what that buyer’s story was as well since we only get her side of the story which in the case of my situation is false.

And I was not upset that work wasn’t delivered outside of Fiverr. That just is the format of the instructions I use with all my VAs since most VAs I do business with are off of Fiverr.

You’re missing the point.

I was upset that the file was incorrect and work was shoddy. Don’t put words in my mouth. I have the chat logs and I only asked you one question that never even mentioned you not emailing me the file.

You seriously have some issues. Everything you posted here is fabricated to the extreme. I asked one question about the file. Just one question after you failed to give me the file I wanted. It’s funny how you don’t mention that.

I don’t know how you were able to gather all of what you say about me being dishonest from this one question. Your comprehension skills are lacking and again I implore you not to be a VA if you can’t comprehend basic things.

I think I’m done ranting, lol.

Here’s a screencast of our conversation.

http://www.screenr.com/Z6iH

In the first part of the video, it’s me asking the question about whether she does Spreadsheets BEFORE I ordered from her.

And the rest of the video further illustrates that what she’s said about me isn’t true as far as me trying to scam her into getting free work and me being irate that she wouldn’t email me info.

Also notice how she is the one who cancels the order.

Again, if it took her 5 hours to gather the information of 4 companies, she shouldn’t be a VA and she could have saved a lot of time if she sent me a question if she was unfamiliar with something.

That probably would have taken 5 minutes tops.

PeggySue, next time you make these kind of accusations about someone “scamming” you, make sure you have proof because I’m sure you didn’t think I would see this and respond in the way I did.

OOoooOOo Burn! Hahah too funny. :-))

Reply to @kjblynx: If you look at what she says the job was about and my job description that I copied and pasted in along with my screenshot video, you would see it was about me. It’s not rocket science. :wink:

Unless she had someone else looking for emails of video game publishers and also posted this around the same time she called that a person a scammer, then you might have a point.

Reply to @kjblynx: It’s cool. Trust me, this is about me. I’m not one to rush to judgments quickly like PeggySue has. I make sure I have all of my facts laid out before accusing someone which is why I was so perturbed this morning when I got a message accusing me of scamming her when I wasn’t even asking for a refund nor cancellation of the gig. I just wanted to know why the list wasn’t in the format that I had asked for and why the list was only 4 names deep. I needed a spreadsheet with emails so that it’s easy to upload to my email client. She gives me a word document…with again just 4 companies.

I literally laid everything out for her. It was just a copy/paste. Gave her a website (GamesPress.com) to gather as many emails for me as possible.

She definitely makes it sound like she’s the victim and that she had compiled this excellent list of information for me for free, when that is totally false.

If she would have left well enough alone, I wouldn’t have gone this far with this. We can’t have people out here on Fiverr calling their customers scammers all because they didn’t understand what the customer had asked for initially and dropped the ball…and then get mad when customer wants clarification. That’s totally unprofessional.

She will probably never respond to this thread she started.

I have to agree with Klblynx…especially since I didn’t accuse anyone by name. But, I am actually glad this person responded. Their response displays a good deal of what is common among Fiverr buyers - expectations that are not in line with the job description they communicate to sellers.

First, the buyer requests, "need for you to gather as many names and email contacts to PR departments within Video Game companies. We’re trying to obtain free copies of video games in order to review them on our website. These companies need to be makers of popular video games so you will have to do research on who these companies are. "

The buyer erroneously expects this to be a simple cut and paste job. Far from it.

Obviously, in order to do a through and accurate job, the VA (in this case me) has to determine which video games are “popular”. A Google search revealed several different Top lists with conflicting information. So, I had to spend more time determining accurate info based on market share demographic data, which is hard to find. When I arrived at the correct top selling video games list, I then set out to determine the game developer of each individual game on the list. The top selling 150 or so games, right now, are developed by 4 different companies. After determining the developer’s identity, then contact information has to be found. Accurate information is essential, so one just can’t grab something off a third party web site without checking to see if it is correct. Then, in come the phone calls to verify the info.

The buyer states, they think “That probably would have taken 5 minutes tops.” and declares my work “shoddy”. Go figure. Sellers just never know what buyers are really expecting because a lot of buyers tend to conceal more expectations than they reveal.

For example, if a buyer wrote, "I expect you to gather a list of contact information of PR depts. for X number of video game developers of popular video games and then create a spreadsheet of the data within an hour. " That would be clear expectations. However,

in this case, a specific number of video game developers was not specified.

Personally, I feel accuracy and quality of information is worth far more than a bunch of cut and pasted inaccurate info, but, some people may feel otherwise. Sellers just never know with buyers.

Reply to @peggysuegeorge: It’s not what about you feel is worth far more, it’s about what I wanted and if you couldn’t do it, just say so.

I wanted as many emails as possible FOR A REASON.

I wanted it in a spreadsheet FOR A REASON.

Regardless of how you felt, you should have asked me a question to clear things up instead of accusing me as being a scammer. Point blank.

That’s what you’re not getting. You could’ve said all of this in a message instead of calling me a scammer and I may have just shrugged it off and let you keep the money as I had planned all along and just never went back to you for business.

You flew off the deep end and if you can’t understand that or see that, then you shouldn’t be working on here.

It goes both ways. You say that my expectations weren’t in line with the job description. You don’t know what my expectations were but my expectations were more than 4 video game companies for sure. There’s more than 4 well popular video game companies if I were to believe that you were looking for the best of the best as you say.

You never asked me to clear anything up. And again, it wasn’t even in the format I had requested beforehand which you conveniently forget to mention yet again.

Just because you may feel that it’s better to put it in Word document or that accurate information, doesn’t mean you should. I wasn’t asking for your opinion. I just wanted the info in the way I wanted it…and again FOR A VERY SPECIFIC REASON.

Your communication skills are lacking. You need to speak up just as you are now, before the ish hits the fan and you start talking reckless and calling people dishonest.

The proof is here for everyone to see how you lied with your initial posting of how:

"The buyer was upset because they felt my hour of work did not result in contact information for pages and pages of names and numbers. They were also upset because they wanted me to contact them outside of Fiverr by delivering the product to their personal email. Obviously, I do not have the time to put in hours and hours of additional free labor to get this buyer a list he feels is long enough, nor do I have any desire to violate Fiverr’s TOS and deliver the work to his personal email. So, I requested a mutual cancel and contacted Fiverr about his request for me to contact him outside of Fiverr."

I was never upset until you called me a scammer. I was never upset nor made it an issue for you to HAVE to contact me outside of Fiverr. I never told you the list had to be pages and pages. Just wondered what your definition of “A BUNCH OF COMPANIES” meant since the list only had 4 companies. You ASSUMED that I wanted pages and pages.

The bottom line is this PeggySue, you fabricated your story to make it seem as if I somehow victimized you and that I was in the wrong, never thinking that I would see your post and call you on it.

It is what it is.

My only advice to you is to try and be calm and ask questions first before you post another rant about someone scamming you.

I fell for your rant last time (http://forum.fiverr.com/discussion/comment/108436) which is what led me into doing business with you in the first place because I felt sorry for you. This time I’m calling you out and telling others to tread with caution when doing business with you.

Have a happy holidays and relax next time and ask questions first.

Just an additional note, the buyer insists that they did not refuse to pay me. However, they did exactly that. They requested a modification of the order. Whenever a buyer requests a modification, the order does not complete and Fiverr does not pay the seller for the work. Obviously, if the seller choses to they can spend more time on the project and deliver modified work, but the sellers don’t get paid for it. After the initial modifications are delivered, Fiverr just allows buyers the option to request more and more additional work or cancel. Either way, the seller doesn’t get paid.

Reply to @peggysuegeorge: Again you keep conveniently leaving out the part where I wanted a spreadsheet and that’s the only reason I put a modification request in. And also just wanted to know what you meant by “A bunch”.

You would have known this if instead of going off the deep end like you did, if you would have asked me what was wrong and then we could have gone from there.

To be honest, the main reason I select modification was because Fiverr wanted me to rate you and I was trying my hardest to not give you a negative rating.

I thought it would have been something as simple as you responding and then we cleared it up and moved on.

That’s what you still don’t get. Was it so hard to ask me what was wrong instead of flat out calling me a scammer and being dishonest?

Does that seem like a natural reaction or response from you, all because I asked you this:

"Is there more to this file? I only see like 4 companies and it’s not in the format that I requested in my instructions. Thanks!"

And then you go and say this:

"I am so sick of being scammed out of payment on Fiverr by people like you. Those 4 companies are developers for over 500 of the most popular video games in the world. You wanted developer contact info for PR for popular games. BTW, it took me over 5 hours to check all those games. If I’d included less popular games, you would have thrown a fit and used that as an excuse not to pay as well. Go scam someone else into giving you free work. I’m not putting anymore work into this project for next to nothing. I will not accept any more orders from you."

Does that seem natural to you when conducting business? All you had to do was answer my question and I would have still paid you. I’m not that pressed for $5 contrary to what you may believe. I don’t go around trying to get out of paying $5 to people who did at least do some work for me no matter if it’s well received or not. That was the very first thing I said to you when I introduced myself to you. How I didn’t want what happened in your other scenario to happen with us.

You have to realize that just because someone asks you a question that you don’t like, instead of avoiding the question and canceling the order and call them a scammer for asking the question, just answer the question, breathe in, and relax.

More times than not, it’s not as bad as you think it is. Everyone is not out here to scam you.

@peggysuegeorge @theurbantwist Maybe you two should just inbox each other with this issue, considering nobody else is posting.

I did, however, just want to note that both of you are spending far too much time stressing about this for just a $5 order. Stress is the number one cause for disease and health problems, so maybe you should just take a few deep breaths and let this go.

Also, PeggySue, as a girl who has been working here on Fiverr for a long time, I think you are spreading yourself thin. You deserve more than $4 for an entire hour of work! I would NEVER, EVER even consider putting in the amount of time for such little pay. Buyers will still come to you, even if you raise your prices! Don’t put this much stress on yourself. Go treat yourself to a pedi or massage. You deserve it :wink:

Good night everyone!

I think this whole ting could have been avoided with both the buyer and the seller communicating realistic expectations.

If research has to be done AND a spreadsheet has to be prepared, NO WAY would all of this be completed in just an hour with a list that is extensive.

1. Giving a list of websites that should be “researched” and expecting a lengthy spreadsheet with 1 hour of work for $5 is UNREASONABLE.

2. Seeing the amount of work needed and returning with a very short list and not contacting the buyer prior explaining the lengthy research time for the gig is UNREASONABLE.

Shame on the both of you!

Just going to pipe up here :o He mentioned GamesPress. That is a perfectly legitimate website for company PR information (everything on there is accurate). If she had just stuck to that site then she would have had a significant list within minutes (I have used that site multiple times for company information)

Reply to @alliemadison12: I wanted to inbox her, lol…that’s my whole point. She took it here so I responded here. If she would have inboxed me back instead of opening this thread and calling me a scammer. I wouldn’t be here.

I’m only here because she brought it here. I just wanted her to see that it is stupid to rant and call people scammers when this could have been resolved through inbox like I had originally wanted. That’s the point. I agree with you there. We both wasted a lot of time on this but I’m actually sick and laying in bed and had nothing else to do, lol.

You have some pretty nice gigs Allie.

Reply to @cheezees: I never wanted an extensive or lengthy list for $5. I am a reasonable guy and have reasonable expectations She SAID I WANTED an extensive list. Check my messages and screenshot if you have time. She never knew what I wanted because she flew off the deep end.

She only gave me 4 companies in a format that I didn’t ask for. When I gave her a website to get info, that’s all I’m saying. I never once complained about list needing to be extensive. Just wanted to know what “a bunch” meant since when she delivered list to me, she said that she had “a bunch” of companies for me and I only saw 4.

But I appreciate your input.

Reply to @ryangillam: You get it Ryan. I really wasn’t trying to make her work too hard. This was actually easy. Just copy/paste. I know that this site is Fiverr and I would never intentionally make someone do all kinds of crazy work for $5 or $4 I should say. You summed up my point entirely. And if she was confused about this site or my instructions, she should have sent me a message instead of wasting 4 or 5 hours as she say on just getting 4 companies’ info.