Fiverr Community Forum

Scammer asking for my personal email

I’m new to Fiverr (only been on here for a couple of weeks). Recently I was contacted by someone telling me he had a business and was interested in me and would pay me $50 to $100 a month. When I asked him if the job was in regards to my beta reader or voiceover services, he said the only way he could explain it to me is if I gave him my personal email so he could send me a message. Again, I asked him to tell me what the job entailed and he assisted I give him my email. I politely told him that I don’t give out my personal email and if he would like to hire me he would have to communicate with me through Fiverr. The scammer then gave me his email and again asked me to email him for more detail. I told him I was not interested and then blocked him. I just want to know if this is a normal occurrence on Fiverr and if anyone else has come in contact with this person? Please beware!

1 Like

It happens, especially to new sellers. Just report them, block them, and forget about them.

Oh, and please mind the forum rules: naming and shaming isn’t allowed (if you have a problem with someone, you report them to Customer Support), so please remove the scammer’s name.

3 Likes

Thanks! I wasn’t aware this was considered shaming as I was making people aware of a scam in case he’s done it before. I’ll make sure to remove his name.

2 Likes

Understandable, but if naming like that was allowed, anyone could say anything, and the person who was mentioned wouldn’t get a chance to tell their side of the story.

In this case it was obviously a scammer, but sometimes innocent people get mentioned like that just because someone is angry at them or doesn’t like them, thus the rule.

4 Likes

In addition to what @catwriter explained here is a note of the forum rules:

Forum Rules + Do's and Dont's for future reference.

3 Likes

you did a best one by block him it’s a good idea i think most of the time it append with seller

1 Like

Thank you for the link.

1 Like

Yes, as with all sites (and personal websites) scammers will try anything. Don’t click on links and try to get them to talk about what they want in relation to your service. Scammers typically won’t take the time to read what you have to offer. Fiverr is pretty fast with removing these guys. A lot of fake Dropbox links that want you to sign in as of late.

1 Like

Thanks, Sam. That’s good to know. I blocked him, but I’m not sure how to report him. I’ll have to look into it.

1 Like

Hover over their name and a report icon will appear. Can’t see it in the attached but it will appear in the circle.

example

1 Like

Thank you so much. I will definitely remember to do this next time a scammer approaches me.

You can report at any time, and now is better time than never. So, go ahead, report that scammer and feel great! :blush: :wink:

4 Likes

It will make the rest of us feel great, too. :slight_smile: Nobody likes scammers, and everyone wants them gone.

4 Likes