Fiverr Community Forum

Scammer helped by Fiverr CS [ARCHIVED]

Well hello, I’ve been advised to post about this in this forum so here it goes:

At the end of July some scammer was operating in Fiverr selling translation services here and then buying them somewhere else (translatorscafe). The scam: he would never pay the services bought in translatorscafe, claiming bad quality of the translation.

Apparently he did it several times until he did it to me, so, after I found out what he was trying to do, I did several things:

• I reported him in translatorscafe, and he was banned.

• I contacted the original buyer (as the company’s name was present inside the files I had to translate) to inquire about what happened. They said they were surprised. I asked him to please report to Fiverr.

• I contacted Fiverr CS directly, they denied assistance to me because I wasn’t original buyer, and so following their ToS they couldn’t talk to me about this. I offered them help and proofs about what happened, they turned the back to them. They claimed: the scammer had left Fiverr already.

For more than one month I’ve been writing to Fiverr trying to request further actions, but i got no valuable answer, after consulting with about 4 or 5 different CS agents.

Then one day I find out that original buyer actually contacted Fiverr CS about this matter on July, but they didn’t answer until some days later, claiming then that the period limit of 13+ days (ToS again) had expired. Mmmmhh…

1_Expired period? I don’t think so
2_I would also like to ask, publicly: how is that a seller that has been reported by a buyer can freely abandon Fiverr, without further question?

Original buyer: RE-RL
Scammer: TE
CS agents: Matt and others (tickets #155 6700, #154 8389, and some 6 or 7 more).

Not really sure what anyone can do here, as we’re all just regular buyers and sellers. So the seller was banned on TC for being a scumbag (good), then you went on a crusade (YMMV).

I can’t really find an issue here. Regardless of your issue, it’s about precedent. Fiverr CS wouldn’t deal with your complaint as you weren’t the buyer. That’s fair–if they “made an exception” for your scumbag, then they’d have to open up for every other “my friend…” request.

Just no. Also your story is confusing and garbled. Were you a middleman or something? Why did you buyer then need to contact the seller? The 13+ days (that’s a super-weird number there)…

Anyway, no more plothole poking. The seller may have been banned for [reasons]. We just don’t know. Apart from the response CS told you, which was they had already left. Now, what do you suppose is going to happen when a faceless, nameless person has gone from a website and you want to waste time of a support team who has PLENTY of ongoing issues from current users, least of all those who have some kind of weird crusade for their own buyer who then…

…if you could clear the points I’m poking at, it would help.

I see you updated. Yes, there is an expiration date. You need to check on your TOS before you resell. Or whatever your particular capacity is in this whole mess.

And finally–I shouldn’t really need to say this, but as a reseller, or a middle-man, or an agent, or whatever… the onus is on YOU to deliver the work to YOUR client. Your client should not need to go and “uh I was told to come here and complain”

You say they were surprised

Hmmm, indeed.

Hi Emmaki. So far I would like an answer for questions 1 and 2, and you won’t be able to answer these questions.

So thanks for your input, but I don’t think you are addressing the problem.

Now, what would you say if buyer A reports on seller B before the ‘ToS’ time limit period expires, but he gets an answer from Fiverr CS after the time limit period expires? Is it enough to say: Well, I’m sorry, we had ‘PLENTY of ongoing issues from current users’? But, hey, the person who sent this report was actually a ‘current user’.

About a more clear explanation of what happened, I’ll try to be more simple: TE (scammer) sells a service to RE (buyer) in Fiverr. Then he buys the service to me in translatorscafe (this means, he hires me through translatorscafe for me to do the translation). Then he denies payment. Then I report him, as well in translatorscafe as in Fiverr. What’s wrong about it?

Yeah, that’s not really any clearer. It’s difficult to parse. Do you mean that the scammer is selling a service on Fiverr then coming to translatorcafe to you to buy it (to see back to his mark), then ripping you off because “bad translation”?

If so…

Fiverr CS generally only deals with immediate parties. The buyer and the seller. In this case, the original buyer and the scammer. You’re not involved at all. TC, on the other hand, served you well–that’s their job as you work there. If you didn’t get paid, well, welcome to the :frowning: club… we’ve all been there too! Here, you just can’t do anything. I mean, I don’t think you should be consistently messaging Fiverr CS for the reasons outlined above. The scammer is gone from TC, and apparently also from Fiverr. There’s no need to spam a company that you don’t work on or use (to my knowledge).

There’s no problem, because the scammer is gone. What do you want anyone to do about it? They may come back with a different name, but… what do you want to do? You had no part in this transaction. It’s TC you need to take this up with, if you want to take it further. But really, nobody here can help you.

Are you in Gibraltar? I’m just wondering from your profile pic. I can’t read the text, anyway…

Emaki, I take that asking this or that, or if I’m from Gibraltar, you are trying to be scornful to me. I could also write about your picture, but, no…

Truth is: I don’t need you to understand.

Please dedicate your morning to something more productive.

Besides, anyone can abandon a profile here. Expiration periods are mentioned in the TOS. These are irrelevant, as you are not the buying or selling party here, so CS has no legal requirement to give you anything.

Just the way it goes.

Oh no, how dare I ask a friendly question!

I shall be productive and stop trying to help you, as you suggested. No wonder you didn’t get far with CS with that attitude.

Thanks for your help and your attitude advices. You surely have a selfless spirit.

Good bye

What do you expect Fiverr to do? They aren’t going to give you the money you were ‘scammed’ out of.

All right, so, here is some info for you. As I understand it, you @jaciga were a seller on this other translation site, TC. A seller on Fiverr was selling translation services on Fiverr and then outsourcing the work to you on TC. Then he was claiming that you did a poor translation and not paying you, but he sold your translation to his buyer here on Fiverr. He was banned on the other site and is no longer on Fiverr. You mention that CS told you “because I wasn’t original buyer, and so following their ToS they couldn’t talk to me about this.” One thing I can tell you myself is that CS would have investigated if you had been the buyer, but still wouldn’t have told you what they were going to do, except to let you know about a refund.

The other buyer who obtained his services also reported the situation to Fiverr. From what I read in your complaint, that buyer was told after contacting CS in July that "they didn’t answer until some days later, claiming then that the period limit of 13+ days (ToS again) had expired.

If the seller had already left Fiverr and had already withdrawn the money after the 14 day clearance period, Fiverr would not have refunded it to the buyer. The buyer apparently did get their document translated as well (by you, and then resold) so this is another reason the buyer wouldn’t have been refunded.

That leaves us with your questions:

1_Expired period? I don’t think so

The funds had passed the normal Fiverr clearance period which is about 14 days give or take a bit. It is correct that when that time passes, refunds are no longer available. In this case, though, the buyer would not have received a refund anyway if the gig was complete.

2_I would also like to ask, publicly: how is that a seller that has been reported by a buyer can freely abandon Fiverr, without further question?

Sellers can close their accounts here or they may be banned. IF they have a gig in progress when they leave Fiverr, that money is refunded to the buyer. If the Fiverr buyer already received a refund because the gig wasn’t complete OR the buyer had already marked the gig complete and the Fiverr seller kept the payment.

As far as how a seller can freely abandon Fiverr, this is a situation where the seller did not actually break the rules directly on Fiverr. They may have broken the rules on the TC site, but not here. Fiverr allows sellers to outsource work. Not everyone agrees that it is OK, but it’s allowed. Take note of where the problem lies in this example:

If a guy named Bob sold 100 word articles for $5 on Fiverr and then hired Joe from Ghostwriter.lnfo (example) to write an article for a $1 each, Bob can resell them here for $5 and no Fiverr rules are broken. If Bob refuses to pay Joe on GW.lnfo, that might be against the rules there, but he still hasn’t broken Fiverr rules. You could probably get them banned on GW (like you did on TC) but Fiverr can’t do anything. That is the answer to your second question unless I missed something.

My question is the same as the others. Fiverr cannot do anything because no rules were broken here. The forum users can avoid buying from Spanish translators if you think they are dangerous here. Is this just a warning about translation? Did you have another idea in mind that accomplishes something? Were you hoping CS could arrange to have the seller pay you for the services you gave him on TC or were you hoping they could pursue the scammer in legal proceedings? What was your ultimate goal?

1: Refunds are possible up to 13 days after the order was marked as complete. It’s in the Terms of Service.

2: The most that Customer Support can do when a seller breaks the rules is to cancel the order, refund the buyer (if the refund period isn’t over yet), and ban the scammer from Fiverr.

May I ask who advised you to post on the forum, and what do you hope to accomplish? Fiver staff rarely visits the forum (and when they do, it’s usually to post an announcement), it’s just the regular buyers and sellers here.

I fear old Jacko won’t find this very productive.

Hi,

@catwriter, it was the admin in another forum who advised me to come here and include names and ticket numbers (http://forum.fiverr.com/discussion/complaints-complaints-and-more-complaints/). I understand that this admin is somehow related with Fiverr’s CS department (or some other department), and I really hope that he finds the time to visit us here. About your points 1. 2., I know, I know this already even when I don’t like it. You have to understand: I’m not questioning the ToS anymore, I’m questioning if the ToS were properly applied.

@ryangillam. I was scammed: yes, thank you for pointing that out one more time. What do I expect Fiverr to do? Well, in a first instance, I would’ve liked that Fiverr did whatever is right, regardless if I was or wasn’t the buyer of the service. If that’s not possible, then at least I hope that they do what it’s written down in its own terms of service. Don’t you agree? The money ended up in the hands of the scammer and I want to know how’s that this happened.

@emmaki, I don’t know if you really understand that when you say something like ‘old jacko’, you are saying more about yourself than about anybody else, and as easy as it would be to exploit your anger and your vanity, I think you should better take them to the right person. Old jacko’s advice: take care of yourself.

@fonthaunt. Wow, what a wonderful amount of words. Thanks for your interest, you should get paid for this. I’m afraid that reaching that amount myself would take me half of the morning, so you will have to excuse my brevity. First thing: you got the story right, I was some kind of subcontracted translator. The work was delivered on July, was checked as complete on July and was reported as suspicious work on July too. Of course I have more information about these dates, and they point to the fact that the 14 days period wasn’t respected. So, I just want to be clear about this one more time: it’s not about ToS themselves, but about their fulfillment.
One more thing to consider would be this: at that time apparently the scammer told the buyer that his account on Fiverr had been blocked and that he couldn’t access his money. Now, of course, I cannot verify this from where I stand, but if it were true, how could it happen?, that a cancelled account still gets the money? This doesn’t have to do with if the scammer was or wasn’t banned on the other site.

You assume that Fiverr didn’t break any rules, but I’m not that confident. I hope that this answers to your question about my goal too. Regards.

Oh, you old card. Your sense of humor really has flown away, hasn’t it?

I like how you keep trickling out more information–while mentioning that yet more could be unveiled like a new showcar–while subtly changing the question. After all, as you told me, your original Qs 1 & 2 need answering and I “wouldn’t” be able to answer them, but yet when @catwriter answers them using a specific and helpful format to answer them and make it blindingly obvious, you say “I know this already”.

You will find the answers to all your past, present and future questions, and more with a bit of research on the Forum and using that little-known tool, Google. Not all, however, but life is a little richer for its mystery, isn’t it?

I get that you’re unhappy about not being paid, but turning it into some kind of crusade masquerading as a search for the truth is… ooh, I don’t know, a bit Don Quixote? I’d just let this one drop. As the Americans say, “shit happens.”

Or continue to fritter away your time attacking windmills.

Advised you to include names and ticket numbers? Ticket numbers mean nothing to regular forum users, and naming and shaming is against forum rules.

Well, it’s good that you understand now enough of my English to add some unique literary references.

Now, if your ego is satisfied enough with your last exhibition of dazzling creativity, I think you should move on the next person who you think needs your ‘help’.

Excuse me if I pass now on whatever you insinuate, and let me quote myself to reply you one more time:

@catwriter, it was the admin in another forum who advised me to come here and include names and ticket numbers {Admin correction. }(http://forum.fiverr.com/discussion/complaints-complaints-and-more-complaints/). I understand that this admin is somehow related with Fiverr’s CS department (or some other department), and I really hope that he finds the time to visit us here. About your points 1. 2., I know, I know this already even when I don’t like it. You have to understand: I’m not questioning the ToS anymore, I’m questioning if the ToS were properly applied.”

But there is something important in what you said. It’s: “Ticket numbers mean nothing to regular forum users”. There is a lesson there. Apply.

Admin Note: The admin in the complaints thread did not advise you to do this. The admin said that the OP in that thread was not from Customer Support and then said to you: “The forum cannot help you, but if you just want to talk it out, go to the Ranting Pot forum and leave out tickets, usernames, etc.”

The Admin specifically said that the forum could not help you. You were advised to use the Ranting Pot to talk (if it was therapeutic) and to leave out tickets, usernames, etc. You were advised to talk to Customer Support since the forum could not help you. Now that it is clear you were only involved indirectly, CS cannot help you either. @catwriter was correct.

More tea, vicar?