Scammers selling "Magic spells"

patrickcharlie

Hi there guys, I hope you are all doing great!

I have noticed some time ago that there is someone selling “magic spells” on Fiverr. At first I thought ok, a scammer like there are many in the “real world”. But then a realized that this magician is a top-rated seller with 1000s of positive reviews, preying upon desperate people with “love spells” etc.

Now sure, you might say “What harm does it do, people seem to be happy with her service”, but would you feel the same if it was your mother, sibling, or child, paying some stranger good money for what is obviously a fraud (obvious to every healthy, sentient human being).

In my opinion Fiverr should put a stop to that immediately, since they are basically assisting that person in taking people’s money by promoting her to “top-rated” (which is a hand-picked category).

What are your thoughts on the topic?
I am sure we will hear from said scammer given that it is one of, if not THE most active person on this forum…

To each his own I guess! You know earlier days of Fiverr had a lot of those stuff you would disagree with if you don’t like magic spells being featured on the platform. It was amusing! 🙂

"To each his own I guess! " - Look, generally I could not agree more, but here a bit of background on my post/rant:

1. I have an issue with Fiverr promoting these gigs and their sellers as “handpicked professionals”, I am Top-Rated and Pro-Certified, and the meaning of that is heavily diminished by Fiverr promoting known scammers.

2. This is the main reason: It recently turned out that someone very close to me got systematically scammed by one of these “spellcasters” losing a massive amount of her life-savings and even taking on debt to pay for spells and different types of sessions. These people prey upon emotionally distressed people, and no, in the long run, they do not do ANY good but only harm.

Your view is based upon the spells being fake but what if the spells actually work?

Then I will eat my pants, give away all of my belongings to people in need and disappear forever into the woods, never to e found again.

(btw I mentioned spells, I include talking to the dead, reading peoples future etc.)

Then I will eat my pants, give away all of my belongings to people in need and disappear forever into the woods, never to e found again.

(btw I mentioned spells, I include talking to the dead, reading peoples future etc.)

Ok then buy one of the gigs and update on your finding, if they talk to the dead then send the seller an image of a person who passed away and ask them to give their name.

85% of global population identifies with a religious group. 85% of healthy, sentient human beings who believe in gods. And some people believe in spells.

Belief and business come hand by hand. It is not fair to call Seller(s) offering magic spells as scammer(s) imo.

I am more troubled with uneven marketplace where for example 100.000 Photoshop editing services offers start at $5. Adobe Photoshop that costs about $20/month. Means vast majority of those service are fraudulent…

Or better even, give them a picture of a living person and ask how they died 😃

I remember a reported who did the same thing, gave away a picture of herself when she was young and asked if she can be found… She was told by the psychic or whatever they call themselves, that she had died tragically and her body would never be found… Then she said that the picture was of her when she was young, the psychic said that he had dialed the number of the wrong number

I remember a reported who did the same thing, gave away a picture of herself when she was young and asked if she can be found… She was told by the psychic or whatever they call themselves, that she had died tragically and her body would never be found… Then she said that the picture was of her when she was young, the psychic said that he had dialed the number of the wrong number

Her I meant, it was Canada Marketplace or some show like that 🙂

85% of global population identifies with a religious group. 85% of healthy, sentient human beings who believe in gods. And some people believe in spells.

Belief and business come hand by hand. It is not fair to call Seller(s) offering magic spells as scammer(s) imo.

I am more troubled with uneven marketplace where for example 100.000 Photoshop editing services offers start at $5. Adobe Photoshop that costs about $20/month. Means vast majority of those service are fraudulent…

Ok there is a lot to unpack here:

I agree, that most people are religious, and I see your point there, but we have to distinguish between different “levels” of “spirituality”.

Now you can either see it as them being scammers for selling a “service” that is obviously fake, OR you could argue that they should be (if the spells are working) thrown in to prison for life, since if they work, that means I have her cast a love spell on your wife/ mother/ sister and she will fall in love with me, a complete stranger, against her will.

Regarding the second thing you mentioned:

If you have 4 orders of 5 USD a month you have enough to pay the license… I mean yes I get your point, I am a translator, my CAT tool costs about 600€ (and then yearly upgrades etc.) and I know that 99% of other sellers do not pay for them BUT if they provide a goof service to their customers, that is only the seller’s problem.

Whoops! This topic again…yikes! 😬

Would you enlighten us with your view on the topic?

I am genuinely interested in what people from around the world feel regarding this. (also because I am planning a formal complaint to Fiverr, and if enough people agree, start a petition to bann this type of fraud from the platform…)

Ok there is a lot to unpack here:

I agree, that most people are religious, and I see your point there, but we have to distinguish between different “levels” of “spirituality”.

Now you can either see it as them being scammers for selling a “service” that is obviously fake, OR you could argue that they should be (if the spells are working) thrown in to prison for life, since if they work, that means I have her cast a love spell on your wife/ mother/ sister and she will fall in love with me, a complete stranger, against her will.

Regarding the second thing you mentioned:

If you have 4 orders of 5 USD a month you have enough to pay the license… I mean yes I get your point, I am a translator, my CAT tool costs about 600€ (and then yearly upgrades etc.) and I know that 99% of other sellers do not pay for them BUT if they provide a goof service to their customers, that is only the seller’s problem.

that is only the seller’s problem.

Correct. It’s only seller’s problem. Sellers who have no problem to pirate software and disrespect others work. Majority again here.

Correct. It’s only seller’s problem. Sellers who have no problem to pirate software and disrespect others work. Majority again here.

Not what I meant, yet I agree.

Seems like you have yourself something to create a “rant” post of your own buddy 🙂

Would you enlighten us with your view on the topic?

I am genuinely interested in what people from around the world feel regarding this. (also because I am planning a formal complaint to Fiverr, and if enough people agree, start a petition to bann this type of fraud from the platform…)

I would not use words like “believe” or “don’t believe”. I would not like to draw conclusions about what is not yet within my experience or I haven’t experienced. As of now, I don’t know much about all this, I am open to hear or learn more about what these guys/gals (spellcasters) do. But I can say that I would not find myself using spelling services in the near future. IMO, as long as buyers don’t have a problem, I don’t have a problem.

Just noticed you are a rather new seller. Just do your job good and ignore what other people in your segment do. If you are professional and polite, you will stand out between all of these people 😉

I would not use words like “believe” or “don’t believe”. I would not like to draw conclusions about what is not yet within my experience or I haven’t experienced. As of now, I don’t know much about all this, I am open to hear or learn more about what these guys/gals (spellcasters) do. But I can say that I would not find myself using spelling services in the near future. IMO, as long as buyers don’t have a problem, I don’t have a problem.

Agreed, now take this scenario:

Imagine your mother (or any other close relative) spends all their money on a spellcaster to… bring you good fortune for example. Then you become successful as you are now. Your mother is happy because you became successful.

So here your mom has “no problem”, she paid money and believes she got a return.

But how about you?

Agreed, now take this scenario:

Imagine your mother (or any other close relative) spends all their money on a spellcaster to… bring you good fortune for example. Then you become successful as you are now. Your mother is happy because you became successful.

So here your mom has “no problem”, she paid money and believes she got a return.

But how about you?

You can say that about a lot of things. Spirituality, alternative medicine, etc. Spells casters aren’t very common in my country, at least I never saw one. Astrologers are. Many people believe it works for them. Does it? IDK. Never tried it myself. There might be some fraudulent astrologers, there might be some legit ones. Who am I to tell others if they should or should not buy their services.

I can see your point of view but I don’t mind as long as the buyer is happy. People can lose money while gambling. This is a kind of gambling. You spend money, might work, might not work. Their money, their choice.

• 3 months later...

You can say that about a lot of things. Spirituality, alternative medicine, etc. Spells casters aren’t very common in my country, at least I never saw one. Astrologers are. Many people believe it works for them. Does it? IDK. Never tried it myself. There might be some fraudulent astrologers, there might be some legit ones. Who am I to tell others if they should or should not buy their services.

I can see your point of view but I don’t mind as long as the buyer is happy. People can lose money while gambling. This is a kind of gambling. You spend money, might work, might not work. Their money, their choice.

I see your point, but these people are selling Harry Potter style “love spells” as in - make someone fall in love to you or return to you after they left you… That is not even remotely the same as astrology, numerology or all the other similar… crafts… out there.

Imagine some poor soul who was just dumped by their significant other, stumbling upon this and throwing their money away hoping it may help them. And the excuse “as long as it makes the buyer feel better” is kind of tricky, because the buyer may not be aware it is a scam…

And IF these love spells worked, that would open another can oof worms, as that would basically constitute some sort of “spiritual assault”…

I know many stories of people who were just plainly scammed, and am yet to find someone whom this helped in the long run.

• wp_kid locked this topic

Archived