Search Engine Optimization for Books

gina_riley2

Okay, so I am expecting zero to one response to this question, but I am going to ask anyways.

When I publish my eBooks, there is an option to put key words which describe my books. I put the words that seem to pop up the most when I do search in the same genre; specifically in Amazon.

Does anyone that offer SEO or any other writer/authors used SEO in Amazon or any other platform and has it made a difference in your sales? Just curious if it only works for google and other search engine vice specific platforms like Amazon, Smashwords etc…

I have read a number of books on selling self-published books on Amazon - including those by Steve Scott - yes, using keywords to tag your book with really helps. The right keywords can really drive your sales. But when selling on Amazon, you should focus on search terms for the Amazon search engine, not for Google.

I have read a number of books on selling self-published books on Amazon - including those by Steve Scott - yes, using keywords to tag your book with really helps. The right keywords can really drive your sales. But when selling on Amazon, you should focus on search terms for the Amazon search engine, not for Google.

ou should focus on search terms for the Amazon search engine,

Oops, that’s what I was trying to ask. I used the ones that seem to pop up when I do search for books. I am, of course, taking a wild guess to if it is the right term or not.

I am doing all sorts of experimentation right now: SEO, blurbs in foreign language, poetry in the front of the book, etc.

I’ll just hire someone and see if it works or not - afterall, it’s only $10!! 😀

There are free(mium) tools out there to help–just Google something like “Amazon keyword search tool” or similar. It’s been a while since I was on this rodeo but off the top of my head–and remember that this is not current, up-to-date knowledge:

• use the alphabetti spaghetti method and type in the keyword then a letter. Go from a-z noting each letter. This trick works because shoppers will let Azon finish the sentence for them. Plus, you get ideas. So win-win.
  • dig through the complex back office and find their own official keyword list for various kindle book categories. It’s probably still there, but listing these KWs helps to correctly categorize your book and optimize it even further beyond the options that (are? were?) available in KDP
  • Amazon has a different ranking thing to Google, because they have a different focus: Google wants to show you the best, most informative yadda yadda yadda, while Amazon would sell you a baby if it was OK. So less focus on “correct” keywording, more focus on shit people look up. See original bullet point.
    *Its still 7 kws, right? well the good news is that you’re not limited to one word. You can do a “phrase” or stuff a bunch in, separating them with commas. Amazon generally tolerates this, but obviously, don’t over do it. Also avoid using KW like Kindle as that’s bad (bad because you’re coattailing on a search term that’s not relevant to the content of your book for easy views. Although I do not know what happens if you have a book called How to win at Kindle Publishing. Frankly, with their woeful support of KDP users, it’s not something I’d want to test anyway.
  • Erm… yeah, that’s about it really. KWs are pretty important, but there’s a whole bunch of other stuff that works in concert with it

Outside of that:

Use front and back matter to link to your email list and build a following. Email lists are easy. I never did this because I couldn’t be bothered, but promise exclusive content and write a super-short, or if you have a series, do like a “bonus scene” that can also act as a tantalizer. Plus the usual news and whatnot. It’s quite a bit of extra work, but as they say, the money’s in the list, and if you have rabid fans, they’ll slurp your next entry to the series on day 1 which will get you very visible. You can also use the f/b matter to promo other books that the reader may enjoy.

• use the free books. Now, you might think tossing an old book that’s lost its lustre and sunk to the bottom works here, but no. Make it a damn good book. Make it one that impresses people. See tip above on how to make this profitable.

• book lists. Be careful here. They used to be a great way to connect with readers, but I half-read somewhere that Amazon doesn’t like them. Not sure why, didn’t care enough to research it, but choose the right list and you should get a boost. Choose the wrong one (and I don’t just mean in audience) then Amazon’s gonna shit you up, or something.

And that’s about all I can remember. I sometimes drop in on the groups to see how everyone’s doing. The ones who were very successful are still at it and very pro. Many of them have made pub companies and are more focused on the marketing. This is a much more profitable area, but there are still many making a good income off churning out some tired old cliches. As for me, I burned out and needed more variety and Fiverr took off, so I let it slide. I don’t think I will get back into it, but it was fun while it lasted and sweet passive income checks are coming in, so it was fun while it lasted.

Archived